'Taeter' or an 'Opfer'?

German Veterans, vet accounts, MIA searches, KIA info, and on relatives who served.

Moderator: Tom Houlihan

otomasch

'Taeter' or an 'Opfer'?

Post by otomasch »

On the website [email protected] I found one year ago the following information regarding my father, of whom none of his friends knew that he apparently served in the SS: Josef Traun, SS-Rottenführer, Erkennungsmarke: -991-4./schw. Flak Ers. Abt. 61, Truppenteil: K.L. Plaszow ("Schindlers List"), died 13.09.1944 at K.L.Auschwitz. Was my father a 'Taeter' or an 'Opfer'? What was the duty of the "schw. Flak Ers. Abt. 61"? Thanks for any information!
Bruno
Supporter

Post by Bruno »

This means he originally trained in "schw. Flak Ers. Abt. 61"? - Heavy Anti-aircraft (replacement) battalion. Probably transfered to an anti-aircraft unit.
His rank Rottenfuhrer= Obergefreiter(heer)=Corporal
otomasch

Post by otomasch »

Thanks, Bruno! What I would like to know is what he was doing, why he died at K.L. Auschwitz? After all, this Kozentrationslager was apparently never bombed by the Allies? Did he get killed as a soldier (guard?) or executed as a victim? He lies buried in an otherwise unknown area at a place in Auschwitz where also about 280 German prisoners in Russian vaptivity were buried much later - after 1945 ...? Apparently, the Amerikans and British heavily bombed the industrial area of Auschwitz on the day he died, 13.09.1944. >>> Sorry, I fly tomorrow to
Algeria; I work there in the oil industry. Regards!
Brian

KL

Post by Brian »

Most likely he was mortally injured in the bombing and was taken to the camp for medical treatment, the one thing that these camps had was lots of Doctors and medical staff so probably he died there of his wounds recieving treatment.
otomasch

Post by otomasch »

Most likely, Brian. The last information from one of the many German addresses I contacted was: (I assume you understand German.) "Fuer Auschwitz sind in unseren Karteiunterlagen ca. 280 namentlich bekannte deutsche Soldaten registriert. Hierbei handelt es sich allerdings ueberwiegend um in russischer Kriegsgefangenschaft verstorbene Soldaten. Dies trifft aufgrund des Todestages auf Ihren Vater nicht zu. Moeglicherweise befand er sich aufgrund einer Verwundung im Lazarett." Well, that' what you said too.
That my father was in the SS (at least towards the end of the war), and where he served and died, I only found out on May 3, 2001, from an article in The New York Times last year about the German Chancelor Schroeder, who - that is his sister - found the whereabout and grave of their father via the Suchdienst 'Volksbund fuer Deutsche Graeberfuersorge'.
By the way, my father was married in Germany, my mother and I lived in Austria. That's why my mother knew not much about him and did not receive a dead notice. My mother learned about his dead from a local newspaper clip at that time. I say this because it is often said that after the war nobody wanted to have been in the SS, which is unfortunately some cases true. I do not judge my father!
Thanks and regards,
otomasch
Brian

Naturlich

Post by Brian »

Yes it seems the most likely scenario, i do understand and speak german to a good standard and its pretty close to what i said.
Nobody will ever know exactly what happened with your father but at least you have a fair picture of what most likely happened and i hope it gives you some closure.
All the best
Brian.
Hannes

Post by Hannes »

On September 13, 1944 the Monowitz industries near the KL Auschwitz were attacked by 96 American bombers ...
otomasch

Monowitz

Post by otomasch »

Danke Hannes! Waere schoen, wenn man auch wuesste, wer durch diese Bombardierung ums Leben kam ...? P.S.: Ich kam heute aus Algerien zurueck.
Hannes

Post by Hannes »

Genauere Informationen habe ich bereits über die "private messages" geschickt ...

MfG Hannes
otomasch

Post by otomasch »

Danke, Hannes!
Hannes

Post by Hannes »

Do you have a wartime photo of your father?

Hannes
otomasch

Post by otomasch »

I have already twice attempted to send you a scanned one. However, there seems to be a problem with either my knowledge or equipment of e-mailing scanned photos.
Otto
Hannes

Post by Hannes »

Trotzdem Danke für den Versuch, Otto!!

MfG Hannes
derGespenst
Associate

Post by derGespenst »

Otto

Rather than Opfer or Taeter, may I suggest: Soldat?
otomasch

Post by otomasch »

derGespenst wrote:Otto

Rather than Opfer or Taeter, may I suggest: Soldat?
Thanks, Gespenst!
Ist auch meine Meinung.
Gruesse aus Algerien.
Otto