Help! revised with more information

Translation requests of German or other languages.

Moderator: John W. Howard

bschau

Help! revised with more information

Post by bschau »

I am trying to find the meaning of the folowing word "hineindormerten"

Thanks for the help!

The word is from a school magazine article about one of my uncles war experiences. Not been able to speak or read German is a problem. Have had to rely on internet translations which are poor at best. I will post the complete text of it taken from the magazine.

Schüler des RG war GEORG SCHAU,5 Köln 41, Grafenwerthstr.3 (Foto d. U II v. 1919 i. ep. XVIII); am 3.1. ds. Js. wurde er 7O u. ist_wie er schreibt gesund u. munter. Nach dem" Einjährigen" ging er in die kaufm. Lehre u. war bis 1929 bei Ferd. Raßmann Nachf. tätig, ging dann nach Stockholm als Redakteur der Auskunftei Schimmelpfeng(bis 1935)u. wurde anschließend von der neugegründeten "Deutschen Handelskammer in Schweden" übernommen, wo er es bis zum Kontorchef brachte. 1944 wurde er noch eingezogen u. im Osten eingesetzt. Im Dezember kam er mit seiner Einheit nach Berlin u. führte als Feldwebel einen Zug von alten Männern u. Kriegsverletzten, die wieder einsatzfähig waren, also fast das letzte Aufgebot. Sein Bericht über diese Kämpfe ist so erschütternd, daß er sie selber schildern soll: "Mitte Januar begannen die ununterbrochenen schweren Bombenangriffe mit jeweils 3 500 schweren Bombern. Es war die Hölle! Die Flak schoß kaum. Nach den Angriffen rückten wir aus, um den Verschütteten zu helfen, was natürlich durch die Brände sehr erschwert wurde. Berlin wurde ja von den Russen eingeschlossen, die mit etwa 2000 Geschützen pausenlos in die Stadt hineindormerten. Man kann das alles nicht so beschreiben; das muß man erlebt haben! Es war grauenhaft! Am 27. April 1945 wurde ich an der Ecke Gneisenau-Nostizstraße mit meinen Leuten, von denen nurnoch 15 Mann übrig geblieben waren, gefangen genommen..".-Er kam dann nach Rußland, wurde aber, da er nur noch 104 Pf. wog, schon Ende 1945 entlassen. In Lübeck trafen wir uns dann, und die Freude war groß. -Im Dezember 1951 gelang es Schorsch Schau endlich, beim Marshallplan-Ministerium (Blücher)e.Anstellung zu erhalten. 1953 wurde er als Referatsleiter in die Bundesstelle f. Außenhandelsinformationen in Köln geholt.
Last edited by bschau on Sun Nov 03, 2002 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
joscha
WWII Vet

hereindomerten

Post by joscha »

There is no such word. Look again; you must have made a reading error. Joscha
joscha
WWII Vet

OOOPS!

Post by joscha »

No "hineindormerten", either. Joscha
Erik k.
Supporter

Post by Erik k. »

hi,

There is a word "dormitorium"in German what means: sleaping room.
Hinein means "trough"

So perhaps hineindormerten means sleaping trough ....

It is not so easy to translate if you do not no the whole line.

Regards

erik
"I love the smell of Napalm in the morning."
Volker Kozok

Re: Help! revised with more information

Post by Volker Kozok »

bschau wrote:I am trying to find the meaning of the folowing word "hineindormerten"

Thanks for the help!

The word is from a school magazine article about one of my uncles war experiences. Not been able to speak or read German is a problem. Have had to rely on internet translations which are poor at best. I will post the complete text of it taken from the magazine.

Schüler des RG war GEORG SCHAU,5 Köln 41, Grafenwerthstr.3 (Foto d. U II v. 1919 i. ep. XVIII); am 3.1. ds. Js. wurde er 7O u. ist_wie er schreibt gesund u. munter. Nach dem" Einjährigen" ging er in die kaufm. Lehre u. war bis 1929 bei Ferd. Raßmann Nachf. tätig, ging dann nach Stockholm als Redakteur der Auskunftei Schimmelpfeng(bis 1935)u. wurde anschließend von der neugegründeten "Deutschen Handelskammer in Schweden" übernommen, wo er es bis zum Kontorchef brachte. 1944 wurde er noch eingezogen u. im Osten eingesetzt. Im Dezember kam er mit seiner Einheit nach Berlin u. führte als Feldwebel einen Zug von alten Männern u. Kriegsverletzten, die wieder einsatzfähig waren, also fast das letzte Aufgebot. Sein Bericht über diese Kämpfe ist so erschütternd, daß er sie selber schildern soll: "Mitte Januar begannen die ununterbrochenen schweren Bombenangriffe mit jeweils 3 500 schweren Bombern. Es war die Hölle! Die Flak schoß kaum. Nach den Angriffen rückten wir aus, um den Verschütteten zu helfen, was natürlich durch die Brände sehr erschwert wurde. Berlin wurde ja von den Russen eingeschlossen, die mit etwa 2000 Geschützen pausenlos in die Stadt hineindormerten. Man kann das alles nicht so beschreiben; das muß man erlebt haben! Es war grauenhaft! Am 27. April 1945 wurde ich an der Ecke Gneisenau-Nostizstraße mit meinen Leuten, von denen nurnoch 15 Mann übrig geblieben waren, gefangen genommen..".-Er kam dann nach Rußland, wurde aber, da er nur noch 104 Pf. wog, schon Ende 1945 entlassen. In Lübeck trafen wir uns dann, und die Freude war groß. -Im Dezember 1951 gelang es Schorsch Schau endlich, beim Marshallplan-Ministerium (Blücher)e.Anstellung zu erhalten. 1953 wurde er als Referatsleiter in die Bundesstelle f. Außenhandelsinformationen in Köln geholt.
Hello,
I think you have a writing error. The meaning of the word is "hineindonnerten" - in the meaning of - shooting like a thunder into the the town. Best regards, Volker
Volker

Hineindonnerten

Post by Volker »

Hallo,

I agree to Joschi that this word does n ot really exist. Nevertheless, it has a meaning here

Firstly, I think that the correct spelling should be "hineindonnerten". It has been put together from "hinein" (into) and "donnern" (thunder). Please note that "donnern" is a verb. The author wants do literally emphasize the roaring of the permanent artillery barrage of the red army. I do not think that it is possible to really translate it into English, at least my knowledge is nit sufficient to find a good translation. Therefore, I can only try to describe the meaning of "hineindonneren" here:
"to fire into an area with heavy noise"

Hineindonnnerten is past tense

Kind regards,

Volker
Bruno
Supporter

donnern

Post by Bruno »

Hinein donnnerten= to fire into an area with heavy noise
Maybe the literal translation but a better connotation is to - fire powerfully and relentlessly. Stems from the God Thor and his powerful hammer. The strike of his hammer caused the thunder (donner)

This term ( not an official command) was used when they wanted suppressing fire from the artillery or mortars. accuracy was not the issue as long as the enemy was kept at bay.
David Gregory

Post by David Gregory »

Hineindonnern might be better translated as "hammered".

The complete text could be translated as follows:

A schoolboy of the RG [school] was GEORG SCHAU, who lives/lived at 5 Köln 41, Grafenwerthstr.3 (photo of U II of 1919 i. ep. XVIII); on 3rd January he turned 7O and is, as he writes, fit and well. Following his "Einjähriger" [probably one year's service with some sort of organisation or the military] he started a commercial apprenticeship and worked at the Ferd. Raßmann Nachf. company until 1929, and then went to Stockholm as an editor working for the Schimmelpfeng credit agency (until 1935) and was subsequently taken on by the newly established German chamber of trade in Sweden, where he rose to the position of office manager. He still managed to be conscripted in 1944 and was sent to the East. In December he came to Berlin with his unit and, as a Feldwebel, was in charge of a platoon of old men war-wounded who were fit enough for service again, i.e. almost the last men able to serve. His report on this fighting is so shocking that is best for him to tell it himself: "The uninterrupted heavy bombing attacks, each carried out by 3,500 heavy bombers, began in mid January. It was hell! The anti-aircraft guns were hardly firing. Following the attacks we moved out to help people who had been trapped or buried alive, which was very difficult due to the fires, of course. Berlin was surrounded by the Russians, who hammered the city with some 2000 guns without interruption. You simply cannot describe it all; you had to have been there! It was terrible! On 27th April 1945, I was taken prisoner at the corner of Gneisenau and Nostizstraße with my men, of whom only 15 were left..". He was then sent to Russia, but, because he only weighed 104 pounds, he was already released at the end of 1945. We then met in Lübeck, and we were delighted. -In December 1951, Schorsch [slang for Georg] Schau finally managed to obtain a position at the Marshall Plan Ministery (Blücher). In 1953, he was appointed section head of department at the Federal Office for Foreign Trade Information in Cologne.
The excitement is in tents (pun intended) - visit http://www.zeltbahn.net and see.
German ID documents and related biographies at http://www.zeltbahn.net/wehrpass/
bschau

Re Help!

Post by bschau »

Thank you all very much for the help with the translation of the article from my fathers and uncles school alumni magazine.

After reading David Gregories translation I am amazed at much is missed if one relies on machine translation.

If anyone is interested I would be happy to send pictures of my Grandfather and Great grandfathers military medals.

Thanks again all!

Bruce
David Gregory

Let see the piccies

Post by David Gregory »

Hi Bruce,

Perhaps you could show the images in this thread, that way everybody gets to see them.

Look forward to seeing whatever you have.

David
The excitement is in tents (pun intended) - visit http://www.zeltbahn.net and see.
German ID documents and related biographies at http://www.zeltbahn.net/wehrpass/
bschau

Re: Let see the piccies

Post by bschau »

':oops:' Hi all ,

sorry but I will not be able to post the Pics as I have no way of putting them on a public server.

Unless some one can help me with what needs to be done.
Bruce
David Gregory wrote:Hi Bruce,

Perhaps you could show the images in this thread, that way everybody gets to see them.

Look forward to seeing whatever you have.

David