Reaction of rank and file to July 1944 plot?

General WWII era German military discussion that doesn't fit someplace more specific.
Peter H.

Reaction of rank and file to July 1944 plot?

Post by Peter H. »

What was the general reaction of the "rank and file" of the Heer (and other branches) to the failure of the assassination attempt of 20 July 1944? I know it's hard to make sweeping generalizations about millions of men, but I'd be glad of your thoughts on this. Would also be glad of suggestions for further reading, in English or German.
sid guttridge
on "time out"

Post by sid guttridge »

I have never seen a specific investigation into the reaction of ordinary German servicemen to the July Bomb Plot, but books referring obliquely to the issue all assume that they were generally appalled by the attempt. Given the fact that Goebbel's propaganda had successfully sustained German faith in the Fuhrer at well above realistic levels, this is not too suprising. Show trials and further propaganda also ensured that no real debate of the issues took place after the attempt had been suppressed, so the rank and file of the Wehrmacht would have been singularly poorly informed on the real issues. The senior German army officer corps seems to have had a large number of generals who wanted rid of Hitler, but only a very few prepared to contemplate assasination. Perhaps it was the manner of the attempted removal that particularly appalled people.