Battle at Yakhroma, 17th November 1941

German campaigns and battles 1919-1945.

Moderator: sniper1shot

big_buddha
Supporter

Battle at Yakhroma, 17th November 1941

Post by big_buddha »

Hello Everyone,

I'm researching the advance of 7th Panzer Division on Moscow, which reached it's closest point to the capital when Hans Von Luck led his Armoured Recon Battalion to the bridge over the Moscow-Volga Canal at Yakhroma.

I found this snippett about the battle at Yahroma:

On the 17th November the Russians charged fixed German positions at Yakroma with 2 Regiments of Cavalry. The 2,000 cavalrymen charged despite heavy artillery and machinegun fire. Only 30 lived to reach the German positions and not even one German was wounded.

I was wondering if anyone has detailed info on this tragic action, and about the events at Yakhroma on or around the 17th November. What German and Soviet units were involved, and are there any accounts of the battle? I believe that the Mongolian 44th cavalry division may have been involved.
==============================
Intelligence Resembles Insanity only to the stupid.
Marko
Enthusiast

Post by Marko »

Just a small correction :wink: Ian, 7.Panzer Division attacked Jachroma on the 28th November and had to abandon it on the 6th December. According to one of a few good maps in the divisional history the Russian 56th Inf.Div. (with 28th and 50th Infantry Brigade) attacked the unit's positions at Jachroma.

Marko
nicolaidis

Post by nicolaidis »

On November 17th, the 44th Cavalry Division, of the 16th Soviet Army, attacked the 106. ID (5. AK), and more accurately the Inf.Rgt. 240, at Moussino.