Spell Checking

Questions, comments, suggestions, or problems.
Tim
Supporter

Spell Checking

Post by Tim »

Hello Jason,

Any chance that a spell checking divice could be added generally to feldgrau, Some people's spelling, is atrocious, and (Ill put my hand up to that as well). What are the chances.

Regards
Tim
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Post by Tom Houlihan »

Tim, if their parents and schools couldn't fix it, dere ain't nuttin' Jason can do about it!!! The exception to that would be our friends from lands other than the US or UK, where English isn't a primary language. When I think of my lack of skills in foreign languages, I'm more than willing to give them the benefit of the doubt!!
For what it's worth, there is a forum just like this one where I work, in a law enforcement facility full of highly trained peace officers. You don't want to see some of the spelling here, and English/American is supposed to be our first language!
:D
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
Feldgrau für alle und alle für Feldgrau!
behblc
Associate

Spellin !

Post by behblc »

:oops: I am one of the worlds worst....need a dictionary with me at all times...a spell checker might help ...but my keyboard skills keep my 2 x girls in jokes ! :oops:
" Life , to be sure is nothing much to loose ; But young men think it is , and we were young . "
A.E. Housman.

" The old lie: Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria mori. " Wilfred Owen (M.C.).
KampfgruppeMeyer
Banned

Post by KampfgruppeMeyer »

I am good speller guy and godd grmaar me have too
Meine Ehre Heisst Treue...
Wolfkin
Associate

Post by Wolfkin »

Ill hazard a guess that yall dont quite use yer apostrophes thet there much. And ifn I tried to guess that perhaps could thatll spell checken "divice" be for yall too? :D

Haaheehaa...all in fun, and it is always fun to poke fun, but perhaps before one judges others perhaps one should look at one's own spelling errors? :D :wink: 8)

Also...there is always the "Edit Post" function to fix errors.

Cheers,

Wolfkin
Amateurs limit their study to either Tactics, Strategy or Logistics. Professionals study ALL THREE of these!!!
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Post by Tom Houlihan »

Wolfkin wrote:Also...there is always the "Edit Post" function to fix errors.
I wondered when someone would bring that up! :D
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
Groscurth
Contributor
Location: Couloir Gervasuti,east side of Mont Blanc du Tacul.

Post by Groscurth »

Jullie monolinguisten hebben geluk dat alles hier zich in het Engels afspeelt, ben je even taalvaardig als wij? Jullie zijn gewoon arrogant om mensen te pakken wiens moederstaal niet het Engels is , beheersen jullie 4 talen? Aangezien jullie Engelstalig zijn beheers je max. 2 talen waarvan de tweede slechter dan mijn 4de. Meeste engelstaligen zijn monolinguist .(een woord speciaal voor hen gecreëerd, de Fransen staan tegenwoordig verder!)

Vous êtes des monolinguistes arrogants! Etes vous capables de vous exprimer en 4 langues? Orales et ecrits? Comme vous êtes anglophones, je ne le croie pas. A vous de vous prouver. Mais comme je sais que vous êtes Anglophones, je suis persuadé que la connaissance de votre deuxième langue est pire que ma quatrième langue. Le mot monolinguiste est spécialement crée pour les Anglophones car dans la France, Suise ou Belgique Francophone le public parle plus des langues que leur cousins d'outre manche ("the other side off the chanell")

Ich weis das sie English sprechen aber dieses topic ist ganz arrogant. Wieviel sprachen sprechen Sie? Zum bsp. probieren Sie mahl Niederlandish oder Franzosisch? Können Sie nicht! So stopen Sie diesen Nazi dictatur in korrektion der Vokabular, bitte.

Please, stop your Anglo-Saxon language training. I always want to charge you in a language that is not yours neither mine, German, French (you guys speak Dutch or Italian?, don't think so). For a non English speaker, you guy's sound quite NSDAP. What is wrong with people that try to argue in a language that is not theirs, but try and make mistakes. :(

In fact Tim, you should shame about your posting, I am sure that my French, German, Dutch is better than yours. Does this fact (see above) gives me the permission to argue like you? Off course not. :shock:

Si tout le monde pense comme toi, le site Feldgrau va se retrouver seul avec les monolinguistes Anglais ou US.Sans autre opinion que les gens qui veulent s'exprimer en Anglais, malgré tous nos fautes.

Indien iedereen denkt zoals jij, zal de Feldgrausite zich in een eenzaam gezelschap bevinden van Engelsen en Amerikanen. Mensen die slechts een taal kennen. Het sluit anderen uit die hun best doen om zich in een andere taal uit te drukken.

When you try a Dutch, French, German, Italian posting Tim, I can correct your spelling. Your attitude is a very nationalistic one that does not keep in mind that this is an international forum with a lot off people posting from other languages.
When you have the same respect to other languages like myself and speek them, than you have a point . Try, I speek 4, most off my fellow countrymen speak 3 and yours? :wink:

A very angree Groscurth! :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :evil: :!:
Last edited by Groscurth on Sun Oct 26, 2003 9:53 am, edited 3 times in total.
-"Two things are unendless: the universe and human stupidity. But I am not so sure about the universe" Einstein
-Question: "Why do mountain climbers rope themselves together?" Answer: "To prevent the sensible ones from going home!" Anonymous
Waleed Y. Majeed
Patron

Post by Waleed Y. Majeed »

Bravo Groscurth. You are so right!

I have just discovered I actually understand a fair deal of written Dutch.
It must be my Danish schooling.

Cheers
Waleed
Howard
Associate

Post by Howard »

Bravo indeed Groscurth

Vous avez fait la preuve que vous êtes capables de faire des fautes dans toutes les langues!

Besonders gut ist die 'englische' Übersetzung von 'outre manche' - sechs Wörter - trois fautes!

K sozhaleniyu, nyemnozhko trudno pisat' na russkom yazike potmou shto u menya nyet khoroshovo klaviera.

Actually, I think there are two spelling errors in that last sentence, but what the hell? :D

Spass beiseite, I agree with your point that this is an international forum and that we should all make allowances for others' linguistic (and keyboard) shortcomings. Like Waleed I have also discovered that I understand a lot more written Dutch than I thought, although I spend half my day listening to my Dutch and Flemish colleagues arguing over whether this or that word is 'real Dutch' :shock:

Anyhow, I don't want to have a fight, just to show that not all Anglo-Saxons are monolingual muppets!!! 8)
Regards

Howard
ratdog
Contributor

Post by ratdog »

Groscurth, you may be able to speak 4, but spelling 4 is another area to be looked at........."speek". All in fun.......................... 8)
Shadow
Patron

Spell Check

Post by Shadow »

Greetings All -

My wife of 27 years (bless her pointed little head) got tired yesterday of my always asking her "how do you spell ............?" and suggested I draft my responses to Feldgrau on Word, then run spell check, then cut/paste into Post response!
Simple! :idea:
Then, she said, "besides - why are you worried about appearing dumb on that silly, funny little war thingy program you keep wasting your time on?" - aaarrgghhhhh :evil: W O M E N :!: :shock: :wink: :? :D :oops:
Signed: "The Shadow"
Groscurth
Contributor

Post by Groscurth »

Dear Howard,

My translations are free translations (like in a movie) in wich I try to explain a point.

Mais parce que tu insiste "nos cousins d'outre manche"= "our cousins on the other side off the Channel" "onze neven aan de andere zijde van het kanaal"(in Dutch we never use this).

For the rest I can say that it is sometimes impossible to translate word by word because then you can have something completely different then wanted or it can appear ridiculous.
A good one: "gourde","flask","veldfles","drinkbus".The last one will sound hillarious for a N. Dutch speaker(a Dutch girlfriend thought it was a joke), when I translate this directly to English or French we become "drinkbus" or even less possible "busboire" a word that does not exist. My girlfriend thought it was a bus for drunks, logic when you can "feel" Dutch, but completely wrong.

About your Dutch speeking collegues. In Flanders and the Netherlands we have the same grammar and share 95% off the voc (we borrow more French words, they Englishwords) but I always try to explain the differences for non Dutch speakers (the official name off the language, also in Flanders) by compairing with:
- French in France,Switzerland,Belgium
-differences in Germany, Swiss(a special case), Austria and Alto Adige or Süd Tirol
-English in UK and the US.
Just in case you're thinking that it is only the Dutch or Flemish that argue about their language. When you want, we can have a discussion about something in French or Dutch and then I'll correct your typo's or mistakes. For the rest I want to know what was wrong with my Dutch since you say (as a non Dutch speaking) that there were typo's or spelling problems( Ratdog) in my"langue matternelle."

It is clear that you are not a monolinguistic "muppet" like most Anglo Saxons but you are not Flemish or Dutch. 40 years ago the French had the same attitude as most English speakers now(inform you about may '68 in Belgium wich was a fight for having the right to have all courses in Dutch in Leuven and the all the rest off the linguistic problems there). :shock:

Mais oublions cela, car la langue la plus parlé c'est le Chinois, suivi par l'Espagnol. C'est chouette de voir que la langue parlé par la majorité des Californiens est l'Espagnol. Ils sont en train de construire une petite Europe la bas!

For the rest I know that the people in the US don't speak 4 languages (you're considered an intellectual there with a poor 2)and that most translators at the EU come from...Flanders. Even now with the land/quotum rule most off them (by capita) come from there.
BTW my French speaking Belgium friends are the best example,compaire the levell off knowledge from the countries second language in both parts there...or English...
-"Two things are unendless: the universe and human stupidity. But I am not so sure about the universe" Einstein
-Question: "Why do mountain climbers rope themselves together?" Answer: "To prevent the sensible ones from going home!" Anonymous
Howard
Associate

Post by Howard »

Hi Groscourth,

I take your point about Chinese and Spanish -let's hope that we don't have to translate Feldgrau into Chinese:D

My post wasn't to get at you, I just didn't like being lumped together with the mass of monolingual Anglo-Saxons. I spend my working day in a foreign language environment (for me) and just get tired of people saying that we expect everyone to speak our language and then being mocked when we try to make the effort by people whose English is not up to much (I do not mean you Groscourth).

I know what you mean about word for word translations and it isn't always easy to express yourself the way you want to in a foreign language. Although I think that I speak French fairly well (except for an English accent) I know that often when I write things at work, I provide hours of fun for my francophone colleagues :?

I assume your remark about Dutch is addressed to ratdog as am certainly in no position to comment on it. Your point about EU translators is interesting as I reckon that the best linguist I know in our office is indeed a Belgian and speaks Flemish, English, French, Italian and Spanish and understands a fair amount of German. I'll certainly ask her about 1968, but I think she's too young to remember it herself!!

No hard feelings, eh? :D
Regards

Howard
Groscurth
Contributor

Post by Groscurth »

Not at all Howard,

Abour accents, you haven't hearedf my German or English :D

good weekend!
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Post by Tom Houlihan »

Groscurth,

For my part, whenever I see messed up spelling, I look to see where the poster is from. If he/she is from a non-English speaking country, I disregard the errors in spelling and grammar.

My comments were directed at those who do live in primarily English speaking nations, who should know better. But, then again, I know our public school system is going down the toilet, so I guess we should send all these complaints to their elementary school teachers! :D
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us