Reason for your interest in the German Armed Forces in WW2

General WWII era German military discussion that doesn't fit someplace more specific.
Chuikov

Post by Chuikov »

3 and 4.

Started getting interested in the German side of World War II about the time I saw 'Das Boot.' It was the first movie I had seen in which the Germans became something other than just targets to be gunned down or idiots to be outwitted, and from that point on I just couldn't get enough.
"Shoot twice and go home." - Swiss response to Kaiser Wilhelm II's question in 1912 as to what the 250,000 Swiss militiamen would do if invaded by half a million German soldiers.
Abwehr
Contributor

Post by Abwehr »

I am a follower of German history of all ages, and WW2 was paradoxically their finest (from a military standpoint) and darkest (from a humane standpoint) hour at once. I study that paradox.
HauptmannJG

Post by HauptmannJG »

2347 Soon to be 2 (I'm a junior @ Davis and Elkins College in WV), I am 3, 4, and 7. Great topic!
Mike Fitzgerald

Request for Information (flags/pennants of the Panzer Corp)

Post by Mike Fitzgerald »

I am a vexologist. This means I study flags. I am interested in any source anyone can provide that would direct me to flags or pennants that were flown on German Panzer Corps. vehicles. Perhaps you know of a book or have run across these in other research. Please reply even if it is a minor detail. Thank you.
Mike Fitzgerad
[email protected]
Warsaw, IN (USA)_
Wolfgang

Why ? why not ?

Post by Wolfgang »

I would say #4 and #7 but I think you may have left out one other option. I am a WW2 Reenactor. Orginally interested because of my family heritage but also because I enjoy history and admire the German equipment and their genius of mechanical design and craftmanship. Before WW1 and WW2 started you can find many achievements by German craftsman throuhout the United states. Where ever great Architecture or Science or anyother trades you will find a dedicated, disciplined and proud German. Sad to say most are affaird of being called a Nazi if you show any interest or admiration of your German Heritage. This I have had to put up with all my life. :?
Aaron Hesselbrock
Kameraden
Contributor

Post by Kameraden »

Wolfgang

Then i shall add option

10 reinactor for you.

Mike Fitzgerald

I own such a book'and i think this book would really do you proud.
I'll e mail you the details.
It is nothing'but the flags and penants of the Wehrmacht.
Perhaps we could do a trade as it's not a subject that interests me.
If not then i'll check if you can still buy it as i've had it about 13 years.

Kameraden
Paul Hanson
Contributor

Reason for your interest in the German Armed Forces in WW2

Post by Paul Hanson »

I build models and military miniatures, and this is just one part of my interests. My library covers from "Greece and Rome at War" to "Uniforms of the Special Forces".

PH
lennardg
Supporter

Post by lennardg »

My answer would be 4-5, I´m Danish and my father was 14 years old and my mother was 10 when the war ended, so they lived through the german occupation, my grandfather was a social democrat (Denmark had a collaborating social democratic government during WW II) and with the resistance in Denmark (the part of it that were to wait untill the german troop´s surrender and then disarm them and arrest armed collaborators, this got him badly wounded and allmost killed on 5. may 1945).
I also remember the left-wing schoolteachers of the 70´s and 80´s and the "political uncorrectness" of any interest in the millitary, especially the evil Nazi´s, my interest in the german army during WW II must come from modelling the panzers and aircraft, somehow everything about the germans were just "cooler"- the uniforms, tanks, planes all looked better, and lets face it : if you´re at the safe distance of 60 years of passing time, "evil" is just a lot more interesting and fascinating than "good".
Apart from that there are such unique stories to be found about the soldiers of the wehrmacht, how come the top-scoring german air-ace shot down 4 or 5 times as many planes as the top-scoring allied air-ace ?, how come the panzer-divisions could drive all the way to Paris and Moscow in a few weeks or months defeating armies who were believed to be the strongest in the world ?, this is bound to attract some interest...
I guess the heroism was appealing too, "the durchalten", the desperation of germans fighting against impossible odds, but refusing to give in untill their cities were in ruins and their airfields and factories occupied...12 year olds attacking tanks...jetfighters taking off from abandoned autobahns..."wonder weapons" decades ahead of their time contructed in subterranean plants in the alps - these are fascinating stories, and...there was very little heroism about the boredom of the danish 1970´s wellfare state.
Today I´m reviving my interest because the internet provides so much new information not available 20-30 years ago, I remember when a quick search on the web provided me with an image of the only surviving Horten Ho IX (at the Gerber facillity in th U.S), an absolutely magic moment.
Finding http://www.feldgrau.com some months ago is a wonderfull thing as I can now share my own knowledge and get answers to questions puzzling me for years.I can see from my postings though, that I´m sometimes prone to holding somewhat pro-Soviet-Russian views which are off course outdated after the fall of that empire, but the clash between Germany and Russia in WWII is to me by far the most interesting part of the war, and even though Russia was a communist dictatorship at the time and communism lost the cold war, I sometimes feel obliged to speak out against some of the more "revisionist" views expressed in the forums, this not said to slander or offend anybody, as I feel the tone, content, and spirit of the writing here at feldgrau.com is of the very highest standard and I am delighted to be a part of that.
Jez
Associate

Post by Jez »

SEIG HEIL DER Lennardg!

Jez.
ReconPAL

Reason for your interest in Ger Arm Fors in WWII

Post by ReconPAL »

I'm a vet, served in a rifle company in a USID in Alsace, Rhineland, Central Europe. Banged up, starved, cold, tired, scared as hell, and aweful wearybut somehow surved Was re deployed to US bound for Fort Ord after a leave foe POE to join the Assault on Kryshu in Feb 45 Saved from that when the Bomb was dropped , Separated Back to College Recalled as a Reserve Infantry Lieutenent during the Korean thing Survived that somehow. Back toCollege passed the Bar practiced as an attorney for a hundred years at least or so it seemed Found Feld Grau by accident about the time Tom Childers decided to give a course on World War II and let me and a classmate sit for as they say in the media for ''color" Clas was a smash oversubscribed three times to all the academic's surprize. I never forgot the war although I did surpress well I guess And many vivid experiences still haunt me now as one of your members, Annelisa , can attest I have little interest in historical haranges but the pathos of the war haunts me The deaths, The distruction The post in answer to your question are worth a million to me. Paul
To those who served
David

Wow

Post by David »

I would have to go with, 4/5/7/9/10 I think that's right. I always have been interested in military history. I build models of mostly German WW2 stuff, have since I was a child. I am also a reenactor, and enjoy learning from others. I have been collecting for a little while now and have several German helmets, and am hoping to expand to some other items. I am also about 35 to 40% German and am trying to learn more about family history. I am reading books as fast as time will allow. always learning.

Thanks, David
'Es geht wieder los'
The Chief
Supporter

My interest

Post by The Chief »

Well I'm a history major at Morehead State University, KY (yes it is a real place). I've always been interested in WW2, and WW1, I was the kid who read the long histories for fun! I also have a Military Science minor, so I'm an ROTC cadet, but I was formally enlisted for four years.
My grandfathers were in WW2 fighting in the US Army.
I collect military helmets, and other artifacts (people just don't know the worth of these things).
I just found the German Army interesting. I've been looking at pictures of tanks since middle school. I was always vocal about how the Germans were not evil (although some did do horrible things), and because of my reaserch I've been called some not nice things.
I've hated most WW2 movies as they were completely unrealistic.
I think I've covered everything, but I do like many aspects of WW2. I've writen term papers on The Winter War, Spanish Civil War, and The Waffen-SS (I can make the distinction between the different branches).
bigblock

Tiger tanks and partisans

Post by bigblock »

I spent many classroom hours as a 2-4 grader drawing Tiger tanks????

My dad was Ukrainian. Somehow, the details of which are unkown, he was, at a very ripe age of 17 recruited into an SS trained partisan Corps. The Germans were viewed as "liberators" when they first set foot in Ukraine. Clearly, reality soon set in. And though an , again, unknown turn of events, he hooked up with the Brits in Yugoslavia and managed to get passage for his mom dad and two younger brothers to GB. Mom, dad, and youngest ( who was only 10 at the time) continued on the the greatest country ever formed, while one bro stayed in GB. Dad's indentured servitude somehow continued to the U.S. side as he was one of those immgrants that were recruited into "special forces" and served as a illicit reservist through 1964. It must have been a program done in conjunction with U.S. Corporations, since he was employed by a GM plant.

He had the utmost respect for the German solider, tactics, training, and DISCIPLINE. He's been dead for many years now, but I thank him for his "revisionist" view of hsitory as a counterpoint to the "traditional" liberal view. Being ex military myself, I now realize that a soldiers expereicne is somewhat universal. That is, politics matter not in combat. Its about your platoon, squad, the guy next to you and keeping your guts under your belt.

I registered here to try and find the words to the Panzer troop "fight song" as sung by the young men to Col. Hessler in "Battle of the Bulge".

Why? Be it correct or not, I have allowed my 5 year old to watch certain segments of that film, principally the open field tank battles. But when he viewed that whole inspection scene, where Hessler is doubting the maturity of these young troops and they start singing, even a five year old can understand the emotion of unity and spirit that a fighting team has.
Jake sings the song much to his mother's chagrin. While he has the melody correct, we have to make up the words. While my knowledgfe of German is nil, I promised him I try and find the words.

I'm telling you, his grandfather is lying in his grave, with a smile ear to ear, as his little grandson, blue eyed, blond haired and thank the Lord of extrmely well built frame stomps his foot and pretends he is a Panzer solider ready to go out and do battle. To some liberal friends who were agast at this behavior I say, its not about killing or war, its about the comraderie and pride that makes a fighting team greater than the sum of its parts, that even this 5 yr old can somehow grasp and that they will never be priveledged to.
Brian

Bulge

Post by Brian »

Thats a nice way to look at it Bigblock, i agree with you about cameraderie and believe that no army could ever exist without that bond, im glad your son has character and i hope he keeps his spirit into adulthood.
chrisp

Post by chrisp »

4 & 8 (Recently retired from the Army)