Field Marshal Erwin Rommel and the Waffen-SS

German SS and Waffen-SS 1923-1945.
UPENDRA GADKARY

Post by UPENDRA GADKARY »

I had an idea that all of us know and agree that the "Desert Fox" Field Marshal Erwin Rommel commander of the Afrika Corps is concidered as one the most brilliant armour tactician and one of the ablest Generals produced by the German Army.

It is said that even if Rommel oppossed Hitler in his policy of extermination of the Jews,Hitler did have a very high regard for Rommel.

Then why did Hitler not persuade and invite Rommel to leave the Wehrmatch and lead and command the Waffen-SS instead of Paul Hausser and Felix Steiner.

I think so by doing this not only would have Hitler been able to convert Rommel into a staunch Nazi and also the Waffen-SS would have had an added edge with the abilities of this great General.

I think also by doing this Hitler could have kept a capable rival in Rommel as leader of the Waffen-SS to Himmler who was more a leader of the Allgemeine-SS.

It means that even if Himmler was a true loyalist of Hitler(Der true Hienrich as Hitler called him),if he had any thoughts of overthrowing Hitler,Hitler could have used the Waffen-SS under the able command of Rommel to crush Himmler and his General-SS which was no match to the Waffen-SS.

Can anybody give their views
Wiking5th
Contributor

Post by Wiking5th »

I have the greatest of respect for FM Rommel's abilities as a leader of panzer forces, but, and it is a big but, I do not see Rommel in the same class as Hausser and Steinner when it comes to the training, organizing and strategic leadership value that these two great commanders brought to the Waffen-SS.

My biggest question on Rommel would be how he would have fared in the main stage of battles on the Eastern Front. I don't know if you would have seen as rapid advancement in command when sharing the stage with many comanders that were his equal in leadeship and "commanding from the front." I do think he would have made an excellent division commander for the "LAH" or "Das Reich". His style of command would have made an excellent fit for the hard fighting, dash and daring of these formations.
Regards,
Wiking5th
infantryscout

Re: Field Marshal Erwin Rommel and the Waffen-SS

Post by infantryscout »

I doubt that Rommel would give up his career in the Army in exchange for one in the SS. Hauser if I am correct had already retired from the Army.
Prior to the outbreak of the war the SS as a whole was regarded by the professional military as being mere "asphalt soldiers." Whether Rommel shared these views is not known. However, later in the war he enjoyed training the Hitler Youth so in my opinion he probably did not "politically" object to serving in the SS.

Lastly, until he commanded the 7th Panzer was relatively a novice to armored warfare so he would not have been high on the list of potential officers for service in an SS panzer division.

It is probably for his(Rommel's) sake that he never was connected with the SS waffen or otherwise and the Russian front. At least his reputation is still in tact.

Just my opinion,
PWL

UPENDRA GADKARY wrote:I had an idea that all of us know and agree that the "Desert Fox" Field Marshal Erwin Rommel commander of the Afrika Corps is concidered as one the most brilliant armour tactician and one of the ablest Generals produced by the German Army.

It is said that even if Rommel oppossed Hitler in his policy of extermination of the Jews,Hitler did have a very high regard for Rommel.

Then why did Hitler not persuade and invite Rommel to leave the Wehrmatch and lead and command the Waffen-SS instead of Paul Hausser and Felix Steiner.

I think so by doing this not only would have Hitler been able to convert Rommel into a staunch Nazi and also the Waffen-SS would have had an added edge with the abilities of this great General.

I think also by doing this Hitler could have kept a capable rival in Rommel as leader of the Waffen-SS to Himmler who was more a leader of the Allgemeine-SS.

It means that even if Himmler was a true loyalist of Hitler(Der true Hienrich as Hitler called him),if he had any thoughts of overthrowing Hitler,Hitler could have used the Waffen-SS under the able command of Rommel to crush Himmler and his General-SS which was no match to the Waffen-SS.

Can anybody give their views
ha0

Re: Field Marshal Erwin Rommel and the Waffen-SS

Post by ha0 »

infantryscout wrote:Lastly, until he commanded the 7th Panzer was relatively a novice to armored warfare so he would not have been high on the list of potential officers for service in an SS panzer division.
Command of 7th Pz Div was Rommel's dream granted true from Hitler; he was then the "novice" who accomplished superb feats with his "Ghost" div in France. Back then SS pz divs did not exist at all.
Rommel's reputation as an extraordinary panzer leader was already widely recognised during his campaign in Africa, just when the first SS pz divs were just about to come into existence.
When SS pz divs were everywhere and fighting hard, Rommel's peak of performance was already more or less over.

Rommel's son wanted to join the SS but he objected; so it seems that the SS wasn't very much in the likings of the Field Marshal, who was glad to be able to keep the SS at bay during Africa.
"Death solves all problems. No man, no problem."
Edelweiss.
Supporter

Post by Edelweiss. »

Rommel's son wanted to join the SS but he objected; so it seems that the SS wasn't very much in the likings of the Field Marshal, who was glad to be able to keep the SS at bay during Africa.
True, the SS was kept out of North Africa at his personal request (or rather insistence). However, one wonders what the outcome would have been if commander such as Dietrich, Hausser or Steiner were active in that field. All three are (in my opinion) at least on equal terms with Rommel concerning tactics, leadership and strategical knowledge.

Regards,
Edelweiss
breaker10

Post by breaker10 »

Hello, i come from Germany, my Grandfather is died on the World War II. He was in the SS Africa Corps :wink: That is a good Forum :D
Edelweiss.
Supporter

Post by Edelweiss. »

Welcome to the forum!

If you're not averse to me asking, when and where did your grandfather serve during his time in North Africa? Tobruk? El Alamein? Tunisia? I would be most interested in your response.

Regards from the UK,
Edelweiss
Last edited by Edelweiss. on Sat Oct 04, 2003 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Timo
Patron

Post by Timo »

The SS Africa Korps? :?
Former member
Rob - WSSOB
Supporter

Rommel

Post by Rob - WSSOB »

...Dietrich, Hausser or Steiner were active in that field. All three are (in my opinion) at least on equal terms with Rommel
How exactly is "Sepp" Dietrich - a former warrant officer who was better known for his front-line charisma than his skills as a strategist or tactician (or map-reading) equal as a military commander to Rommel?
Timo
Patron

Post by Timo »

Good point Rob!

Dietrich was very good at motivating his troops and making them feel good and save by just being with them. But for tactical matters he depended heavily on the skills of his staff, his regimental and battalion commanders (he was know for not being able to read a map).
Former member
Edelweiss.
Supporter

Post by Edelweiss. »

I concede that point. It was my error and I apologise. I had not known that he was unable to read a map.

Regards,
Edelweiss
Gerhard
WWII Vet

Post by Gerhard »

Edelweiss
Forget what those guys say about Dietrich, They are so far up in the clouds they can only see in grandiose terms.
I saw Dietrich and Rommel, the former a man (like most of us) who had a pleasand word for even a lowly Rottenfuhrer and the latter a Prima Donna who could not even return a salute. The big difference between the two, Dietrich led by example without much fanfare whereas Rommel was constantly in the limelight.
"Not being able to read a map", how would they know ?
Gerhard
Timo
Patron

Post by Timo »

Gerhard wrote:I saw Dietrich (...) a man (like most of us) who had a pleasand word for even a lowly Rottenfuhrer (...) Dietrich led by example without much fanfare
Exactly my point...
Timo wrote:Dietrich was very good at motivating his troops and making them feel good and save by just being with them
Gerhard wrote:"Not being able to read a map", how would they know ?
...See my pm
Former member
heinz kling

Dietrich

Post by heinz kling »

Rob - WSSOB wrote:
...Dietrich, Hausser or Steiner were active in that field. All three are (in my opinion) at least on equal terms with Rommel
How exactly is "Sepp" Dietrich - a former warrant officer who was better known for his front-line charisma than his skills as a strategist or tactician (or map-reading) equal as a military commander to Rommel?
At least his steadfastness in defeats and reverses inspired his troops to superhuman efforts, whereas Rommel's pessismism and defeatism had a demorlaising ripple effect on troops under his command.
Timo
Patron

Re: Dietrich

Post by Timo »

heinz kling wrote:At least his steadfastness in defeats and reverses inspired his troops to superhuman efforts, whereas Rommel's pessismism and defeatism had a demorlaising ripple effect on troops under his command.
Perhaps you can post your short list of people you don't accuse of defeatism. That way it will be easier for us to avoid ridiculous discussions with you. Same goes for authors you dislike.
Former member