Correction on 11. FschJgDiv & 21.FschJgDiv

German unit histories, lineages, OoBs, ToEs, commanders, fieldpost numbers, organization, etc.

Moderator: Tom Houlihan

Michi
Contributor

Correction on 11. FschJgDiv & 21.FschJgDiv

Post by Michi »

11. Fallschirmjäger-Division:
* 1945-04-05 (formed from StuBrig „GERICKE“ and parts FschJgErs&AusbDiv)
CO: Oberst Walter GERICKE

FschJgRgt 37
FschJgRgt 38
FschJgRgt 39
FschArtRgt 11
FschPzJgBtl 11
FschPiBtl 11 (<= FschPiAusb&ErsBtl 2/FschPiBtl „v. ALBERT“)
Fsch(Lu)NaAbt 11 (<= LuNaKp/KG 53)
FschSanAbt 11
... 11

FschJgRgt 37 & FschPiBtl 11:
till 1945-04-17: (with the 6. FschJgDiv) ZUTPHEN – GOOR & HOLTEN;
FschPiBtl 11 joined 11. FschJgDiv on 17th April 1945 (as did FschJgRgt 37??)

11. FschJgDiv:
till 1945-04-10: OLDENBURG;
till 1945-04-16: LÖNINGEN a.d. Hase – HAHLENER Moorkanal – WERLTE
till 1945-04-20: BOCKHORST – KAMPE – PAPENBURG
till 1945-04-24/25: LEER – OCHOTT – BAD ZWISCHENHAHN
till 1945-05-02: BOCKHORN – VAREL – JADE.

21. Fallschirmjäger-Division:
* 1945-04-05 (formed from StuBrig „GERICKE“ and parts FschJgErs&AusbDiv)
CO: Oberst Walter GERICKE

FschJgRgt 61 (<= Rgt „SCHALLER“)
FschJgRgt 62 (<= Rgt „HENNER“)
FschJgRgt 63 (<= Rgt „HEUTE“)
FschArtAbt 21 (1.[le]/; 2.[s]/)
FschFlakAbt 21
FschPiBtl 21 (<= FschPiAusb&ErsBtl 2 oder
FschPiAusb&ErsBtl 1)
... 21 (FschGrwKp 21; FschPzJgKp 21; Fsch(Lu)NaKp 21)

FschJgRgt 61:
till 1945-04-??: (bei 8. FschJgDiv) WESER & EMS;

FschJgRgt 63:
till 1945-04-23: (bei Kgr „v. HÜTZ“) STRÜCKLINGEN – SEDELSBERG.

The link between LINZ/Upper Austria and 11. FschJgDiv is an hoax.
It was never planned to form the 11. FschJgDiv there.
Some sources say only the CO of the 11. FschJgDiv was in LINZ, but GERICKE never left the Dutch/Frisian area.

The area of forming the 11. FschJgDiv and 21. FschJgDiv was northern Netherland and the Frisian coast.

One other point of interest is; was there really a difference between 11. FschJgDiv and 21. FschJgDiv.

Any ideas and hints???

MfG Michi
eierlegende Wollmilchsau
Óscar G

Post by Óscar G »

According to my sources these are the info regarding FJD11:

11. Fallschirm-Jäger-Division ********************************
Commanded by Oberst Walter Gericke, 3.45 - 4.45
It was formed on March 45 in Linz area. The formation was to have been completed by 1.5.45, but was cancelled 8.4.45. Troops in the Linz area apparently continued gathering, in spite of the cancellation. On 11.4.45 Gericke had arrived in Linz, and by 20.4.45 1100 men had arrived, with 650 in Hörsching and 2700 in Gardelegen. These could not be transferred to Linz, due to the war situation and the tremendous manpower shortages suffered by germans.

The following units were to provide troops for the new 10. and 11. Fallschirm-Jäger-Divisionen:

4000 men from Luftkriegsschulen 4, 7, 10 and 11. (LKS 7 remained at Tulln, however)
1200 men from Flugzeugführerschulen A5, A14, A23, A25 and A115
2400 men from JG101
Heavy weapons from the 715th Infanterie-Division.
4000 men was to have been taken over from 14th SS Grenadier-Division, but this was cancelled.

FJR 37, commanded by ObLt Schaller, 3.45 - 5.45. This formation begun 3.45, but it was never completed. the same happened with FJR 38 (Oberst Hemmer) and FJR39 (ObLt Bernhard Meuth)

Only a few of battle groups were formed and saw action, mainly on the western front where they were captured by the Bristish at the end of the war at south west of Wilhelmshaven. Von Roon in his book "Die Bildchronik der Fallschirmtruppe" states on page 212 that elements from 11 FJD were engaged with 7FJD (commanded by Erdmann) in the fighting around Oldenburg, against British and Canadian tanks. They all surrended on may near Varel.

As for 21 FJD ***********************************************

Oberst Walter Gericke, from 5 April 45 (around the day of the cancellation of 11 FJD) until May 45
This formation was ordered on 5 April 45 in northern Holland, as a Field-Training Division, using parts of the Fallschirm-Jäger-Ersatz und Ausbildungs-Division and from Sturm-Brigade Gericke.
Only few details are known, as well as its fate.

FJR 61 commanded by Oblt Schaller form April 45 until May 445. It was formed form FJR Schaller and operated together with the 8th FJD.
FJR62 (Oberst Hemmer) formed from FJR Hemmer. It operated together with the 9FJD around Stettin during April 1945. it was possibly known as Fallschirm-Jäger- Bataillon 62 (with 4 companies)
FJR63 (ObLt Bernhard Meuth) created from FJR Heute and operated with 9FJD around Stettin too. Possibly known also as Fallschirm- Jäger- Batallion 63 (4 companies)

Hope this helps. Óscar
Michi
Contributor

Post by Michi »

Thanks Óscar for your reply!

These were also my sources till I got the chronical history of the 10.FschJgDiv:
„Die Geschichte der 10. Fallschirmjäger-Division (März, April, Mai 1945)“ by Erich BUSCH {then CO of the Rgt-KaSch/FschJgRgt 30}

According this chronic I quote:

a.) Ende Februar 1945:
Als Aufstellungsraum für die 10. FschJgDiv ist das deutsch-niederländische Grenzgebiet vorgesehen.
#) End of February 1945:
The 10. FschJgDiv shall be formed in the region of the German-Dutch border.

b.) Anfang März 1945:
Doch während der organisatorischen Vorbereitungen für die Aufstellung rückt das OKW Anfang März 1945 von seiner Absicht, die 10. FschJgDiv der Westfront zuzuführen ab, und befiehlt dafür später eine 11. FschJgDiv aufzustellen.
Der Aufstellungsraum für die 10. FschJgDiv wurde offensichtlich unter dem Druck der sowjetischen Angriffe aus dem ungarischen Raum nach Österreich in das Gebiet der Heeresgruppe SÜD verlegt.
GenObst RENDULIC: „Von Hitler erhielt ich gegen Ende der Lagebesprechung am 07. März 1945 den Auftrag, eine einzlne Fallschirm-Jäger-Division (= die 10. FschJgDiv) im Raum LINZ aufzustellen.“
#) Begin of March 1945:
During the organisation to form the 10. FschJgDiv the OKW changed the plan to form the 10. FschJgDiv for the Western Front, later on a 11. FschJgDiv should be formed for the Western Frotn. Maybe this did happen because of the Russian offensives from Hungary into Austria.
Now the 10. FschJgDiv shall be formed in the back areas of the Heeresgruppe „SÜD“.
GenObst REDULIC, CO of HGr „SÜD“: "HITLER informed me, after the meeting on 07th March of 1945 to form a sole FschJgDiv (= 10. FschJgDiv) in the area around LINZ".

c.) Ende März 1945:
Die prekäre Lage an der Ostfront zwang die HGr „SÜD“ zu einem erneuten Wechsel des Aufstellungsraumes für die 10. FschJgDiv.
Diesesmal der Raum um GRAZ/Steiermark.
#) End of March 1945:
The precarious situation at the Eastern Front forced the HGr „SÜD“ again to change the area of forming the 10. FschJgDiv.
This time the area around GRAZ/Styria.
d.)
Zur Auffüllung aller Verbände werden Soldaten des Luftwaffen-Personals aufgelöster Flugplätze, sowie Offiziere und Fahnenjunker der nachstehenden Luftwaffen-Kriegs-Schulen herangezogen und den Divisionseinheiten zugeführt:
#)
To fill up all units (of the 10.FschJgDiv) Air-force soldiers of disbanded air-fields and also officers and officer cadetts of the air-force war schools were drafted:

LKS 1 DRESDEN-KLOTSCHE
LKS 2 BERLIN-GATOW (was not done, as this school was for para officers further on)
LKS 3 OSCHATZ/Sachsen
LKS 4 FÜRSTENFELDBRUCK
LKS 7 TULLN b. Wien (was not possible, as this school was yet in heavy fightings at VIENNA)
LKS 10 STRAUBING (was not possible, as this school was disbanded in STRAUBING)
LKS 11 ERFURT, later STRAUBING
FFS A 5 GABLINGEN
FFS A 14 KLAGENFURT
FFS A 23 KAUFBEUREN
FFS A 115 MÜNSTEUER/Enns

FschJgRgt 28 was strengthened by the LKS 4 (CO Gen SCHULTZ)

CO of FSchJgRgt 30 was ObstLt WOLFF of LKS 11.
FschJgRgt 30 was strengthened by soldiers of LKS 1, LKS 2 and LKS 11.

Conclusio:
NEVER, NO a 11. FschJgDiv in LINZ/Upper Austria.

Also GERICKE never left his Assault Brigade, and stayed in the Northwestern Front from End of February 1945 till May 1945.

MfG Michi

PS:
Once again, I USED the SAME SOURCES as YOU do. BUT only UNTILL I got the Division's history of the 10. FschJgDiv.
eierlegende Wollmilchsau
Óscar G

Post by Óscar G »

Hi Michi:
First of all, I have to admit that you have checked good sources. It seems to be that by late 44 and 45, FJDs were FJ by name only, since most of these new raised divisions were completed from cadres of Luftwaffe Feld Divisionen. Difficults like manpower shortages, the war situation and, in short, those that you have pointed out in your quotes made these divisions be "paper" formations which never managed to bring together the dispersed elements allocated to it. This can be seen in the fact that regiments belonging to 11FJD were the same as those attached to 21 FJD, regarding their commanders, at least. FJR37, 38 and 39 were never completed, being probably transferred to the FJR61, 62, 63. In any case, it´s supposed to be that the few units formed were attached to the main divisions operating at that time in that front: 7FJD, 8FJD and 9FJD.
As for Gericke, it may have arrived at Linz area, as well as the collection of troops for 11 FJD, though it was after the cancellation...

Regards, Óscar
Michi
Contributor

Your sources on divisional units of 10.FschJgDiv?

Post by Michi »

Thanks again!

What does your sources say about the divisional units(PzJgAbt, PiBtl, ArtRgt....) of the 10. FschJgDiv?

MfG Michi
eierlegende Wollmilchsau
Óscar G

Post by Óscar G »

Hi Michi:

On 17 April 1945 the division had a strengh of 10,700 men. Though its formation was cancelled on 15 October 1944, the division was reformed in the Graz area on 1 March 1945, It was formed from several various units. Each Fallschirm-Jäger-Regiment and Artillerie-Regiment of the 1 and 4 FJD in Italy, gave up an Battalion for the new division. These had all arrived in Graz by 8 April 1945 (9 trainloads).

These were the units of the 10 FJD. They were divided between Graz and Luftgau XI and served under XXIV. AK / Pz.AOK.1 in May 1945, with parts in reserve under PzAOK.6. The main parts surrendered to the Russians in Iglau:

Fallschirm-Jäger-Division 28
Fallschirm-Jäger-Division 29
Fallschirm-Jäger-Division 30
Fallschirm-Panzer-Jäger-Abteilung 10
Fallschirm-Artillerie-Regiment 10
Fallschirm-Pionier-Bataillon 10
Fallschirm-Luftnachrichten-Abteilung 10
Fallschirm-Sanitäts-Abteilung 10
Kommandeur der Fallschirm-Jäger-Division Nachschubtruppen 10

As for FJR28, it was commanded by Heinz Schmücker from February until the end of the war. it saw action at St. Pölten and Brünn. FJR29 was commanded bt Major Alfred Genz (RK on 14 June 1941) and saw action at Gratwin, Graz and Iglau; and FJR 30 was commanded by Oblt Hans Wolff from March to April and then by Hptm Georg Kairies from April to the end, seeing action in Graz area, St. Pölten, Ried and Graz.

As for Fallschirm-Pionier-Batallion 10, it was built in Graz around one kompanie from both Fj.Pi.Btl's.1 and 3. Numbers were also bolstered by men from Luftwaffe schools and flying personel.

Commander - Leutnant Victorin
1.Kompanie - Leutnant Kabinger, Hfw Henning, Fw Hegge, Fw Migende, Fw Kurth
2.Kompanie - Leutnant Schäfer

2.Kompanie served with FJR30 in the area of St.Poltin against Russian tank forces and also Czech Partisans. It fought also at Wilhelmsburg. The Kompanie was captured by the Russians. Both Kps were engaged in hard fighting around Eschenau, Traisen, Wiesenfeld. 1.Kompanie was moved by train to Tischnowitz near Brünn. Here they fought against Partisans. On 7th May 1945, they received the order to return to the German border and arrived at 0430 on the 8th. After hard fighting in the border regions they were captured by the Russians.

Von Roon states that they fought (FJRs) against soviet forces around Krems. From here, two regiments went to Brünn. Anyway, all these units surrended to the russians and the rest of them captured by the british forces were turned in to the russians. The commander, Oberst. von Hofmann, wounded in Brünn, died in the Lazarett.

Hope this helps. Óscar
Michi
Contributor

10. Fallschirm-Jäger-Division and still no end ;-) ....

Post by Michi »

Hi Óscar!

You are quite right with the things about the 10. FschJgDiv!!

Just very minor corrections came to my mind:
the division was reformed in the Graz area on 1 March 1945
Not the correct one.
The 10. FschJgDiv was reformed north of BOLOGNA from 20th March till 27th March 1945.
Fallschirm-Jäger-Division 28
Fallschirm-Jäger-Division 29
Fallschirm-Jäger-Division 30
I bet Fallschirm-Jäger-REGIMENT 28, 29 & 30 is correct :wink:

As for Fallschirm-Pionier-Batallion 10, it was built in Graz around one kompanie from both Fj.Pi.Btl's.1 and 3. Numbers were also bolstered by men from Luftwaffe schools and flying personel.

COmmander - Leutnant Victorin
1.Kompanie - Leutnant Kabinger, Hfw Henning, Fw Hegge, Fw Migende, Fw Kurth
2.Kompanie - Leutnant Schäfer

I have something different on the
FschPiBtl 10 (of 2./FschPiBtl 1 & 2./FschPiBtl 4)
CO: Olt HERM;
1st Coy: Lt VICTORIN
2nd Coy: Lt SCHÄFER

As I said just minor differences to my Division's history.

MfG Michi

PS:
If you are interested, I have a list of (almost) all CO's and the forming units of the 1. & 4. FschJgDiv for the 10. FschJgDiv.
eierlegende Wollmilchsau
Óscar G

Post by Óscar G »

Hi again, Michi:
I bet Fallschirm-Jäger-REGIMENT 28, 29 & 30 is correct
You are totally right... it was just a "lapsus" :oops: :wink:

Regarding the dates of the formation of the 10. FJD, I could find more info about it and agrees with your statement. Since the division was formed from drafts from 1.FJD and 4. FJD, and they were engaged in the fighting around North Italy at that time, it seems more logical what you say: they were pulled out of Italy and, probably, organized (in Graz-Krems-Melk area) into those regimental units commented above on the last days of March.

The same happens with the Pionier Batallion. I managed to get more accurate info and you are right. According to it, Olt. Herm was the commander form the begining. On the other hand, I couldn´t find anything more about the commanders of each Stab.
On 2 March it was formed from cadres of 2./Fsch.Pi.Btl 1 and 2./Fsch.Pi.Btl. 4. They were transferred by train, mainly (some of them made the trip by bike!), from Ostiglia, Veronna (ITALY. This agrees again with you...) to Brenner, Innsbruck and Graz. They were completely formed in Lichtenau on 22 March. So, we can state that by this date they became "real operative", so to speak, units.
They were also involved in the fighting against russians and partisans around Schwarzenberg, 30 kms north of Brünn. By 17 april 2. coy fought around Wilhelmsburg. More hard combats came afterwards (20-23 April) at Eschenau, Traisen and Wiesenfeld. On 27 April, at Lilienfeld, being carried by train to Eisenerz and then to Melk and the German border until the end came.
If you are interested, I have a list of (almost) all CO's and the forming units of the 1. & 4. FschJgDiv for the 10. FschJgDiv.
Thanks, it will be wellcome! :D

Regards. Óscar
AHK
Contributor

13.Fallschirmjagerdivision

Post by AHK »

Both of you have done an excellent job on the late war units. Could you please confirm the existence of the 13.FJDiv. I have it in my records as a proposed division which was never formed. I cannot recall the source of this information. Any help?
Óscar G

Post by Óscar G »

Hi, AHK:
As far as I know, no 13. FJD was ever formed. Furthermore, we have to bear in mind that these divisions created at the end of the war 1945 (10. 11. 20. 21. FJD, taken as examples) hardly can be called in such a way. I mean, "divisional status" was given on paper to small battle-groups, as we have seen before.
Hope this helps. Best regards.
Óscar
Michi
Contributor

Post by Michi »

Sorry for the long delay;
but had to work offline. :oops:

Will post the STELLENBESETZUNG of the 10.Fallschirm-Jäger-Division as a new topic.

MfG Michi
eierlegende Wollmilchsau