Heinrich Paepcke

Individual German officers, soldiers and award holders.

Moderator: Commissar D, the Evil

Langemarck

Heinrich Paepcke

Post by Langemarck »

Hello,

Can anybody help me to some more information or even a picture of Heinrich Paepcke? All I know is that Paepcke was awarded the Knight Cross on 5-9-1940 and that he was awarded the Knight Cross with Oakleaves on 19-12-1942 when he was Hauptmann(LW) Kommandeur III./K.G. 30.

Who can tell me something more?

Cheers,
Pascal
Samba66

Post by Samba66 »

Hi!

Here you have a picture of him:

Regards
Paal
Langemarck

Post by Langemarck »

Thanks Paal for the picture. I'm still looking for some more information on Paepcke. Does anybody has some more information or can recommend a book where I can find this information?

Thanks,
Pascal
Langemarck

Post by Langemarck »

I came back to look at the picture Paal posted of Heinrich Paepcke when I suddenly realised that this can’t be Paepcke. Paepcke was awarded the Oakleaves posthumous, so this can’t be Paepcke.

Maybe someone else got a picture of H.Paepcke. He was Hauptmann and Gruppenkommandeur of II./KG 77 when awarded the Oakleaves. He was Oberleutnant of the 7./KG 30 when awarded the Knights Cross.

Thanks,
Pascal
Samba66

Post by Samba66 »

Hi!

The picture can be a repro with the oakleaves added on afterwards.
I realy don't know.

Regards
Paal
ericv
Enthusiast

Post by ericv »

That happened a lot.. The guy looks definitely like paepcke..
M. Reising

Heinrich Paepke

Post by M. Reising »

Langemarck:

From what I have read recently, Hauptmann Heinrich Paepcke was one of the most successful Ju-88 "aces" of the early years of World War II.

When Germany commenced operations in Norway in April 1940, was
Staffelkapitan of 7/III/Kampgeschwader 30. Over Dunkirk, he and his
crew sank a 10,000 BRT Freighter and a 5,000 BRT Warship. Concurrently, his 7th Staffel altogether sank a Cruiser, three light Cruisers, three Destroyers, a Minelayer, five Transport Ships and
also accounted for five attacking RAF fighters.

Later, Gruppenkommandeur of II/Kampfgeschwader 77, active against the British Isles, against the Soviets near Murmansk, and in the Mediterranean/North Africa. Sank a 10,000 BRT Freighter on August 12, 1942, part of a convoy attempting to provide supplies to Malta.

Killed on October 17th, 1942, near Malta, in action against defending RAF Spitfires.

Information I have comes primarily from Georg Brutting's "Das waren die deutschen Kampfflieger-Asse, 1939-1945" and from Mike Spick's "Luftwaffe Bomber Aces"

Samba's picture of Hauptmann Paepcke looks very much like the photograph in Georg Brutting's book. Latter is a must have if you
are interested in the Kampfflieger "aces", as I am.

Hope that I was helpful!

M. Reising