Question re. Feldherrnhalle Division 4

Bundeswehr, DDR and military related discussions on the German armed forces post-1945 to today.
ESchneid

Question re. Feldherrnhalle Division 4

Post by ESchneid »

Hello, I'm new to this forum but after reading how much knowledge and enthusiasm everyone on here has for WWII I am hoping maybe someone can help me with a specific topic I'm hoping to learn more about. My Opa was in the waffen-ss as a grenadier in the feldherrnhalle panzer division 4 when he was captured in 1945. He was held as a prisoner of war until 1948. I can't find much information about feldherrnhalle panzer division 4... I can only seem to find info pertaining to divisions 1 & 2. Does anyone have any knowledge of that unit or resources of where I could find out more about it? I can't tell you how much I appreciate any insight you could give me about it!
donwhite
Contributor

Re: Question re. Feldherrnhalle Division 4

Post by donwhite »

You might have to recheck you original information. Pz 'Feldherrenhalle' 1 & 2 were not part of the Waffen SS but were army formations (albeit with substantial SA sourced cadres present). I have never heard of a 3rd or 4th 'Feldherrenhalle' Pz Division but there was a 'Feldherrenhalle' Panzer Brigade (106th) on the western front.

Cheers
ESchneid

Post by ESchneid »

Thanks so much for your response. That's what I've been struggling with I cannot find anything about it but I have two documents from the German government that say "Feldherrnhalle Pz. Div. 4."
ESchneid

Post by ESchneid »

IMG_6725.JPG
IMG_6725.JPG (414.58 KiB) Viewed 39671 times
ESchneid

Post by ESchneid »

IMG_6727.JPG
IMG_6727.JPG (645.58 KiB) Viewed 39671 times
donwhite
Contributor

Post by donwhite »

I'm mystified! If you don't get any further response from Feldgrau, try posting those documents on forum.axis.com (Heer, Waffen-SS & Fallschirmkjager section) for interpretation/comment.

Cheers
donwhite
Contributor

Post by donwhite »

Just noticed that the documents have parts in English. Are these Allied sourced documents? (may explain some of the confusion the Pz units designation).

Cheers
donwhite
Contributor

Post by donwhite »

apologies, some typos's creeping in the other forum site is forum.axishistory.com

Cheers
ESchneid

Post by ESchneid »

Thanks so much! I have been unable to find anything at all on it and that's why I posted on here. They're directly from Berlin, Germany - Deutsche Dienststelle (WASt). They are part of records of compensation and discharge after being a prisoner of war in Czechoslovakia. Thanks again for the reference & I'll try posting over there today