Scouts Out! by Robert Edwards

Book discussion and reviews related to the German military.

Moderator: sniper1shot

krichter33
Enthusiast

Scouts Out! by Robert Edwards

Post by krichter33 »

Robert Edwards new book is being released soon and he posted the following on Wehrmacht Awards Forum:

Hello all!

The above will be printed at the end of November, beginning of January by Stackpole Books.

If interested in finding out more about the book, here is a landing page on my web site:

http://battlebornbooks.com/?page_id=15

If interested in purchasing it directly from me, you can do so at:

http://battlebornbooks.com/?page_id=87

Purchasing from me means free shipping (media mail) in the US and a personal dedication, if so desired.

As I do not want to undercut dealers, the book will sell for normal retail.

If you have a hard time paying the full monty, then Amazon is also selling it at a substantial discount:

http://www.amazon.com/Scouts-Out-His...ref=pd_sim_b_3

Amazon also ships for free, if you're a member of the Prime program.

Here is an outline of the contents:

1. Acknowledgements

2. Foreword (See below)

3. Doctrine

a. Historical overview
b. Cavalry as antecedent
c. Reconnaissance theory in the modern era
d. Cavalry, armor and infantry vie for the mission
e. Doctrinal development
f. Theory versus practice

4. Organization

a. Overview
b. The German TO&E: Kriegsstärkenachweisung
c. Wartime development: Theory meets reality
d. Reconnaissance within the Infantry [Infantry formations (with identified armored reconnaissance assets), including standard infantry, light infantry, mountain infantry, security divisions, assault divisions, fortress divisions, ski formations etc.]
e. Reconnaissance within the Cavalry [as above, featuring the light divisions]
f. Reconnaissance within the schnelle Truppen [overview, with detailed information on divisional level formations in Chapter 5]
g. Reconnaissance elements at various higher levels of command [corps and higher elements]
h. Reconnaissance development within the SS-Verfügungstruppe / Waffen-SS [overview with detailed information on divisional level formations in Chapter 5]
i. Reconnaissance within Luftwaffe ground formations / the “Hermann Göring” formations [Overview, with detailed information in Chapter 5]

5. Equipment

Wheeled reconnaissance vehicles
a. Overview and developmental antecedents
b. Initial light armored cares: Sd.Kfz. 13 and 14
c. Light armored cars: Sd.Kfz. 221, 222 and 223
d. Medium armored cars: Sd.Kfz. 231, 232, 233 and 263 (both 6- and 8-Rad, as appropriate)
e. Later-war armored cares: Sd.Kfz. 234 family of vehicles.
f. Command and control vehicles (not covered above or below): Sd.Kfz 247 (4- and 6-Rad), Sd.Kfz 260 and Sd.Kfz. 261.
g. Foreign armored cars in German service: Panhard emphasized, mention of captured vehicles in use.
h. Fully tracked reconnaissance vehicles: Aufklärungspanzer 38(t) and Panzer II/L “Luchs”
i. Reconnaissance versions of light halftracks: Emphasis on Sd.Kfz. 250/9.
j. Reconnaissance versions of medium halftracks.
k. Other vehicles impressed into reconnaissance usage: Kübelwagen, Schwimmwagen, Kettenkrad.

6. Uniforms

a. Overview
b. Army:
1. Field uniforms for reconnaissance forces: Special-purpose uniforms
2. Distinctive insignia
3. Lineage and unit-pride items
c. SS-Verfügungstruppe / Waffen-SS
2. Distinctive insignia
d. Luftwaffe formations
2. Distinctive insignia
e. Color section (48-page color insert featuring period images and selected photos of uniforms, headgear, insignia and ephemera in collections)

7. Formations

a. Overview
b. Army: Presented numerically: Motorized and mechanized infantry formations; Light divisions; Armored formations. [Each formation covered will have a listing of the reconnaissance assets within the formation (to include dates of redesignations and reorganizations, the organization of the formation, the respective commanders and the recipients of higher-level awards. These overviews will be supplemented by photographs, as available, and occasional first-hand accounts.]
c. SS-Verfügungstruppe / Waffen-SS: As above (for Army formations)
d. Luftwaffe: As above (for Army formations)

Appendices

1. Translation of HDV 299/10 (pre-war reconnaissance battalion doctrinal manual)

2. Translation of HDV 299/11c (late war armored reconnaissance battalion doctrinal manual)

3. Translation of School Exercises for Combat Training in Reconnaissance

4. Rank Table

Select Bibliography
Klaus Richter