19th SS Polizei Regiment

German SS and Waffen-SS 1923-1945.
John W. Howard

19th SS Polizei Regiment

Post by John W. Howard »

Does anyone have any information about this unit? It fought in the Vosges Mountains in 1944 as part of the 16th VG Division and was made up of one half Polizei and one half survivors of destroyed units. It was eventually disbanded. Any other information would be greatly appreciated. Thank You.
John W. Howard
MAXIS
Supporter

SS-Polizei-regiment 19

Post by MAXIS »

-Formed on 07/42 fm. Polizei-bataillone 72, 171 & 181.
-Security operations in Stiria, Slovenia & Istria till Spring 1943
-Transferred in Savoia and located in Grenoble till autumn 1944
-Re-located to Langres and assigned to 16 Volks-grenadier-Division till December 1944.
-Security operations against french partisans.
-Transferred in Slovenia on 01/45
-Located in Mezice.
-Security operations against reds partisans.
-I e II/19 located along southern austrian border on april 1945
-Surrender in Klagenfurt to british troops on May 1945.

Best
Max
Loïc L.

Post by Loïc L. »

Hello,
transferred in Savoie and Grenoble till autumn 1944

How many companies had this Regiment ? and how many Companies for a Battalion in this Regiment ?
I see it in garrison in Limoges in 1944, it was envolved in anti-partisans operations against the Maquis in Limousin, and Auvergne (Mont Mouchet).
The 28th june 1944 2 Companies are in Limoges, 2 in Tulle
Surrounded by the Maquisards the 2nd and 3rd Battalion didn't want to surrender and runned away from Limoges 19th august 1944, it isn't very clear if the General Gleiniger chief of the German troops of the area was killed by men of the SS Polizei Regiment 19 because he accepted the capitulation or commited suicide.

Regards
Loïc
"A Moi Auvergne"
Lorenz
Patron

Post by Lorenz »

Loïc L. wrote:Hello,
transferred in Savoie and Grenoble till autumn 1944

How many companies had this Regiment ? and how many Companies for a Battalion in this Regiment ?
I see it in garrison in Limoges in 1944, it was envolved in anti-partisans operations against the Maquis in Limousin, and Auvergne (Mont Mouchet).
The 28th june 1944 2 Companies are in Limoges, 2 in Tulle
Surrounded by the Maquisards the 2nd and 3rd Battalion didn't want to surrender and runned away from Limoges 19th august 1944, it isn't very clear if the General Gleiniger chief of the German troops of the area was killed by men of the SS Polizei Regiment 19 because he accepted the capitulation or commited suicide.
Regards
Loïc

SS-Polizei-Rgt. 19

Formed on or about 9 July 1942 in Bled (Veldes)/Oberkrain (Upper Carniola) in present-day Slovenia using Polizei-Btle. 72, 171, 181 plus personnel for the Regimentsstab. The Regiment’s home garrison was in Wien (Vienna) and for I. Btl. in Linz/Austria.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * [Extract] * * * * * * * * * * * * *
France
Jun 44: transferred to Grenoble in France to reinforce security operations against French partisans.
Jul 44: II./SS-Pol.Rgt. 19 in Limoges - during anti-partisan actions in Limousin, the battalion was encircled by the French Partisans in Limoges. the local German garrison commander, General Gleiniger, attempted to surrender Limoges, but it was not accepted by the 19th SS Police Regiment so the II. Btl. assassinated Gleiniger and escaped towards Guéret and Creuse leaving his body in a rubbish pile in the local cemetery.
Sep 44: in Langres/65 km N of Dijon.
15 Oct 44: 9. Kp. as well as other elements of the Regiment was in the Bruyères area/49 km WNW of Colmar in Alsace in combat with the U.S. 442d Regimental Combat Team. Only a shadow of its former self, the Regiment was attached to the 16. Volksgrenadier-Division and was made up of one half Polizei and one half survivors of destroyed units.
Dec 44: released from its attachment to the 16. Volksgrenadier-Division, the Regiment began returning to Slovenia during the second half of December.

There were 3 or 4 companies to each battalion - more normally 3 - and the regiment had 3 battalions. The information concerning its activities in France come from several different internet threads, one or more of which you participated in yourself. It appears to be the sum total of what is known about the regiment in France. Fortunately, there is a great deal more information about its activities in Slovenia.

--Lorenz
John W. Howard

19-SS Polizei Regiment

Post by John W. Howard »

Hello Loic and Lorenz:
Thank you for the additional info; I have other info buried in my files. I am not sure any of it will add anything to what has already been posted, but I will take a look. Thanks again guys. Best wishes.
John W. Howard
Loïc L.

Post by Loïc L. »

Hello,
I am interested about its display and the garrisons in France before august 1944, it sems to be very scattered
some ohers datas

Sturm-bannführer Otremba's Battalion, probably the 3rd Battalion coming fom Lyon, not the 2nd, was at the Mont Mouchet (10th-11th june 1944) to dislodge the Maquisards of Auvergne, there the Lieutenant Schwichtenberg's company, with Major Enns's Aufklärungs Abteilung 1000, killed 26 inhabitants in Ruynes-en-Margeride and 9 inhabitants in Clavières, burning both villages, during the fightings with the Maquisards, they executed the prisoners or finished off the wounded.
They were too against the Maquis of the Vercors in july

The 2nd Battalion left Limoges the 19th august 1944 (with General Gleiniger, nearly prisoner because he wanted to surrender, he commited suicide) reaching Guéret (Creuse) 23rd august and Montluçon (Allier) the 24th august where it setted free the German Garrison surrounded by the Maquisards since the 20th august, they kept going to the northeast...

Regards
Loïc
"A Moi Auvergne"
Marko
Enthusiast

Post by Marko »

Loic,

SS-Pol.Rgt.19 had a normal structure of 3 battalions, each with 3 infantry and one heavy company. The regiment also had a Panzer-Jäger Kp. plus an attached 13.(verstärkte) Polizei Panzer Kp., though I'm not sure if the latter followed the regiment to France.

Do you have any info on SS-Hstuf. Engelbrecht, Führer II./SS-Pol.Rgt.19, who won the Knight's Cross in December 1944 for his actions in France? Prior to this he was the commander of 7./19 and once already praised for his actions by BdO Alpenland Gen.Maj.d.Pol. Brenner.
Jan-Hendrik
Patron

Post by Jan-Hendrik »

Marko
Enthusiast

Post by Marko »

:D That's the one. Thanks again, dear Jan.
Jan-Hendrik
Patron

Post by Jan-Hendrik »

Anythin about the equipment of this 13.PolPzkp.?

To my shame I still not have the Regensberg and Michi is still on vacation :oops:

Jan-Hendrik
Marko
Enthusiast

Post by Marko »

Sorry, can't help you there.