Simple question about German gun sizes.

General WWII era German military discussion that doesn't fit someplace more specific.
myplane150

Simple question about German gun sizes.

Post by myplane150 »

Hi all, I've read tons of books and other info regarding WW2 and tanks, etc... In all of my reading i have never seen an explanation of what 7.5 cm KwK 40/L48 (Panzer IV) means 'completely'. I know 75mm is the caliber, Kwk is Kampfwagenkanone (fighting vehicle canon), but, what does 40/L48 mean. I'm guessing that 40 is the model number but L48 eludes me. Is is length? If so, 48 what? Any help would be appreciated. thx

Kent
John Winner
Supporter

Re: Simple question about German gun sizes.

Post by John Winner »

I believe it means the barrel length is 48 (or what ever number follows) times the caliber of the gun.
myplane150

Post by myplane150 »

Equals what? Inches, mm, M, feet??? This would be 48 times 7.5 (cm) or 75 mm? Anyone? C'mon folks, impress me with your knowledge.
NID_2575

Post by NID_2575 »

The L/ number is the length of the gun in calibers. Or how many bore diameters long the gun is from muzzle to breech.

ie. a (5 cm L/60) is (60 x 5cm) or (3 m) long

So for your example:

7.5 cm StuK 40 L/48: 7.5 cm x 48 = 360 cm 360 cm converted to Metes = 3.6 M in total length.

Or for all of us who use feet (11.81 ft)

Hope that helps.
Alanmccoubrey
Contributor

Post by Alanmccoubrey »

myplane150 wrote:Hi all, I've read tons of books and other info regarding WW2 and tanks, etc... In all of my reading i have never seen an explanation of what 7.5 cm KwK 40/L48 (Panzer IV) means 'completely'. I know 75mm is the caliber, Kwk is Kampfwagenkanone (fighting vehicle canon), but, what does 40/L48 mean. I'm guessing that 40 is the model number but L48 eludes me. Is is length? If so, 48 what? Any help would be appreciated. thx

Kent
Kent, you've also misunderstood the KWK part, the gun was a KWK 40, the "40" doesn't go with the L/48. So as you've learned it was calibre, followed by the model designation followed by the barrel length in calibres.
Alan
lwd
Enthusiast

Post by lwd »

I'm pretty sure I remember reading somewhere that there is some slight variation from one country to the next in just how the "caliber" is measured as well. I forget the details though.
found it. This page addresses it:
http://www.navweaps.com/Weapons/Gun_Data.htm