The Battle for Konigsberg

Book discussion and reviews related to the German military.

Moderator: sniper1shot

donwhite
Contributor

The Battle for Konigsberg

Post by donwhite »

Just noticed this book on Amazon. Early days I suppose but has anyone had a chance to check out this new title 'The Battle of Konigsberg: The struggle for the East Prussian Capital October 1944-April 1945' by Brian Thomas. Seems to be self published?

http://www.amazon.com/the-Battle-Konigs ... im_sbs_b_1

Cheers
Lorenz
Patron

Re: The Battle for Konigsberg

Post by Lorenz »

The value of Taylor's book would depend on the thoroughness of his research. It appears to be his first book and may be a PhD. dissertation that he has self-published. Up to now, the old Otto Lasch title, So fiel Königsberg, has been just about the only available book on the subject.

L.
Landserstudent
Supporter

Post by Landserstudent »

Thanks to you both--I now have something to go on for more/wider info.

My cousin was there (Gefr./K8/IR162/ID61). Following the collapse of the long-fighting Festung at Koenigsberg,
he began what would be 10 years captivity in the Russian camps. I also believe his outfit took part in one of the last--or maybe the last--amphibious assault/invasion of the German military in WWII. At least, in the Balkan theatre--I believe the outfit was pulled out to Sweden for rest/refit and re-inserted by boat/prahm landings. I hope to find out more, thanks.

Bedenket/In Remembrance

Landserstudent

r
B Hellqvist
Contributor

Post by B Hellqvist »

Landserstudent wrote:I believe the outfit was pulled out to Sweden for rest/refit and re-inserted by boat/prahm landings.
Er... Sweden was neutral, and no German soldiers had been allowed to enter Swedish territory since August 1943. Only one division was allowed to relocate via Sweden (163 ID), and that was prior to Operation Barbarossa.
Landserstudent
Supporter

Post by Landserstudent »

Ya, there was actually quite a lot of Wehrmacht railroad traffic across Sweden to Norway, and
a lot of resupply shipping to the Germans in Lappland. Germany bought big on the Swedish ore and ball bearing markets too.

Perhaps my cousin's outfit was refitted somewhere other than on Swedish soil, with all the Baltic coastline and shipping going on. I hope to find out.
B Hellqvist
Contributor

Post by B Hellqvist »

Yes, those are known facts. Still, no German combat units were allowed to rest and refit on Swedish territory. Your cousin's memory must be faulty on this issue.
Landserstudent
Supporter

Post by Landserstudent »

Thank you for the input.

I must kindly ask that my cousin be kept out of this, especially regarding whether his memory is faulty.
The inquiry has been mine and mine alone, I take full responsibility for it. Other than the fact he was
there in the Kessel, I respect the family and individual courtesy that he has never wished to discuss the war.