Grenadier to Panzergrenadier date

German Heer 1935-1945.

Moderator: John W. Howard

Fish
Contributor

Grenadier to Panzergrenadier date

Post by Fish »

Hello All, I know I have it somewhere, but cannot locate it at this time, so does anyone have the date when grenadier regiments were renamed panzergrenadier regiment? This is refering to those formations in a panzergrenadier division.

thanks
Kevin
Fish
Rohrdorf Germany
Alanmccoubrey
Contributor

Re: Grenadier to Panzergrenadier date

Post by Alanmccoubrey »

Kevin, I think it was July 1942.
Alan
Leo Niehorster
Author

Post by Leo Niehorster »

Even though the Infanterie Divisions (mot) had been redesignated as Panzergrenadier Divisions on 23 June 1943, the Grenadier Regiments (mot) of the Panzergrenadier Divisions were not redesignated as Panzergrenadier Regiments until almost a year and a half later, namely on 1 December 1944,

This was because some of the Infantry Inspectorate's regiments (to which the motorized infantry divisions had belonged until 1943, when they were transferred to the Panzertruppen Inspectorate) had the same numbers as those in the Panzer Divisions (which had already belonged to the Panzertruppen Inspectorate). Only new regiments raised after March 1943 were called Panzergrenadier Regiments.

Just to keep things straight, the Schützen Regiments of the Panzer Divisions had been already been redesignated as Panzergrenadier Regiments a year before that, on 5 July 1942.

Lovely, isn't it? :roll:

Cheers
Leo
Information not passed on is lost.
URL: World War II Armed Forces
Fish
Contributor

Post by Fish »

Thanks guys, appreciate the quick response and info.
v/r
Kevin
Fish
Rohrdorf Germany