Wiking Feldpost Card

German unit histories, lineages, OoBs, ToEs, commanders, fieldpost numbers, organization, etc.

Moderator: Tom Houlihan

postofficeworker
Supporter

Wiking Feldpost Card

Post by postofficeworker »

This is my latest Wiking purchase. Written by someone in the Divisionsal HQ of the 5th SS Division "Wiking" FPR Nr 16284. Can anyone tell me what is says? After the FPR 16284 it appears to show a "VI", what is this relevant to? Any comments welcomed! ;)
Attachments
ss wiking 001.jpg
ss wiking 001.jpg (221.7 KiB) Viewed 3368 times
fridgeman
Supporter

Re: Wiking Feldpost Card

Post by fridgeman »

Liebe Mama,
Ich bin immer noch i.
Warschau, es kann
noch Wochen dauern
bis der Transport ab-
geht der mich wieder
an d. Front führt. Ich
lebe sehr gut und
habe mich glänzend
erholt. Ich esse in Sol-
datenheimen wie
in Oberstdorf (ohne
murren?) Viele Grüße F.

Dear Mother,
i am still in Warschau, and it possibly take weeks until i am transported to the frontlines again.
I live very well and recovered well. In the soldiers cantina i eat just as in Oberstdorf (without grumbling). Greets, F.
postofficeworker
Supporter

Hi Fridgeman.... do you think he was recovering from being wounded? Or was it a transfer to HQ? Thanks for the translation :)
fridgeman
Supporter

Post by fridgeman »

As he dont mention a wound in the letter, we can only guess.

From what he writes you can tell a few things. He says he will be sent to frontline again, so we can
assume he has already been at the front. Also he says he recovered well, so we can assume he was
either wounded or sick. 100% sure you will never now, maybe if you can find some more letters
of the same person.

One more thing, as the Feldpost was sent from the Staff, and not from a Lazarett (field hospital)
i would say its more likely that he was sick, and not wounded. But thats really only a guess, he could
have been wounded too, and after he was treated in the field hospital, he was sent back to his Staff to fully recover.
postofficeworker
Supporter

Thanks Fridgemam. Some points to consider. He doesn't appear on the Volksbund website as being killed. I paid about Euros 9 for the card.