1. Infanterie Division help?

German unit histories, lineages, OoBs, ToEs, commanders, fieldpost numbers, organization, etc.

Moderator: Tom Houlihan

tigre
Patron

Re: 1. Infanterie Division help?

Post by tigre »

Hello to all :D; more follows.....................

The Infanterie Regiment 1 - France 1940.

With Prince William and the 11. / IR 1 in the Western Campaign.

In the early afternoon of May 23 the division, less the reinforced IR 1, arrived in the area of Bavay. The divisional vorausabteilung secured the area and reconnoitered in the canal area southwest of Valenciennes. The reconnaissance showed that all of the bridges were blown, on the canal banks were strong enemy positions, outposts on the south banks, and on the side occupied by the Germans, part of the Leibstandarte Adolf Hitler, making an excellent impression. The division commander then ordered an attack in the area of the canal south of Valenciennes with the reinforced IR 22 (including II./IR 1, but less its II./ IR 22).

At 2200 hours on May 23, an order from VIII AK arrived. The order directed the 1 ID to form on the right of 8. Infanterie-Division (8 ID) and deliver an attack in a northwesterly direction early on May 24 to create a bridgehead over the canal. The 8 ID was to begin its attack at 0600 hours. The VIII AK provided the Leibstandarte Adolf Hitler and M.G. Btl 1 to support the attack along the line Wargnies/Crugies and north of Estreux. The 1 ID's position was on the canal on both sides of Trith and in front of the main French defensive line, which had in its rear a strong force in an advanced bunker line. The most forward enemy force was connected by telephone cable to the main French defensive line and could observe all movement of the 1 ID.

Sources: 1. Infanteriedivision, 23.05. 1940, von Tycowicz, Rudolf, „Das Infanterie-Regiment 1“, München, 1966.
Wittrien, Ernst, „Vier Stunden lang im schwersten Feuer – vor 45 Jahren fiel Prinz Wilhelm von Preussen an der Spitze der 11. Kompanie des Infanterie-Regiments 1“, Ostpreussenblatt Nr. 24, 15. Juni 1985
http://www.instahlgewittern.com/2010/09 ... ussia.html

Cheers. Raúl M 8).
Serás lo que debas ser o no serás nada. General José de San Martín.
laurence strong
Supporter

Post by laurence strong »

Hi raul

Do you have any information on the 1 Infantrie Division from late '44 to the "Endkampf"?

later
Larry
tigre
Patron

Post by tigre »

Hello Larry :D; sadly no, but sure you will find a lot of info on that subject here.........if you did not stumble with it already...........

http://www.1infanterie-division.de/divi ... hichte.htm

Cheers. Raúl M 8).
laurence strong
Supporter

Post by laurence strong »

Hello Raul

Many thanks for the link, I had not found that one.

Sincerely
Larry
tigre
Patron

Post by tigre »

I'm glad the link is useful for you Larry :wink:. Cheers. Raúl M 8).
tigre
Patron

Post by tigre »

Hello to all :D; last part.....................

The Infanterie Regiment 1 - France 1940.

With Prince William and the 11. / IR 1 in the Western Campaign.

The attack of 8.I.D. was supposed to begin at 0600 on May 24; however, 1.I.D. instead received a signal that 8.I.D.’s assault would be delayed 90 minutes, and that 1.I.D. should begin its attack at 0830, or one hour later than that of 8.I.D. Thus, after a concentration of artillery fire between 0830 and 0845 hours, infantry and sections of the 1.I.D.’s Pi.Batl.1 made a crossing, held up however by such heavy machine gun, mortar and rifle fire from barricaded houses on the opposite shore and on the right flank, that the first attack wave was shot down in the middle of the canal. Only two platoons on the right flank made it, clinging to the north shore after stopping a counterattack.

At about 1100 hours on May 24, the commander of I.R.22 (reinforced) reported that the successful continuation of the attack could only be promised after reconnaissance and the subduing of each resistance nest according to a well-prepared plan; adequate preparation for the assault would require about four hours. After these events, the attack across the canal was called off, and both 1.I.D. and 8.I.D. received new orders that took them elsewhere.

Sources: 1. Infanteriedivision, 23.05. 1940, von Tycowicz, Rudolf, „Das Infanterie-Regiment 1“, München, 1966.
Wittrien, Ernst, „Vier Stunden lang im schwersten Feuer – vor 45 Jahren fiel Prinz Wilhelm von Preussen an der Spitze der 11. Kompanie des Infanterie-Regiments 1“, Ostpreussenblatt Nr. 24, 15. Juni 1985
http://www.instahlgewittern.com/2010/09 ... ussia.html

It's all folks. Cheers. Raúl M 8).