Messy compound sentence

Translation requests of German or other languages.

Moderator: John W. Howard

Prit
Contributor

Messy compound sentence

Post by Prit »

I get the general drift, but can anyone give me a tidy translation of this?

Wohl mit Rücksicht auf den strikten Befehl Models hat die Division jedoch den der Lage kaum gerecht werdenden Doppelauftrag erhalten, unter Weiterführen des Angriffs aof Stolpce den Usca-Abschnitt von Olchowka bis zue Eisenbahn abzuriegeln, im Raum Snow zu sammeln und die Verbindung zur 4. Kavalleriebrigade bei Swojatycze herzustellen.
EricS

Re: Messy compound sentence

Post by EricS »

German is not my native language, but based on my self-thought knowledge,I will give it a try:

'With the consideration of the strict command of Model - although hardly justified -, the division performed an duel mission to continue the attack on Stopce to seal of the Usca-section of the railroad to - despite the snow - reconnect with the cavalry brigade at Zwojatcze."

I think I made the sentence a bit more complicated, but this probably gets close to the right translation. I'm curious to know whether I'm on the right track, always useful to improve my translation-skills...

Eric
Prit
Contributor

Post by Prit »

It's really untidy, isn't it?

There's a spelling error or two in my post that don't help!

My own version was something like:

With regard to Model's strict order, the division carried out the barely justified dual mission of continuing the Stolpce attack to seal the Usca sector from Olchowka to the railway, and assembling in the Snow area [it's actually a village in Belarus!] and establishing contact with the cav.brig. at Swotajycse.
Howard
Associate

Post by Howard »

A tricky sentence to be sure, my take is this:

Probably with regard to Model's strict order, the Division however received the double assignment, hardly conducive to the situation of continuing the attack on Stolpce, to seal off the Usca section from Olchowka to the railway, assemble in the area of Snow and link up with the 4th Cavalry Brigade at Swojatycze.

Don't know if that makes any more sense or not, but I think that here erhalten should be read with the meaning of "to receive an order"
Regards

Howard