MP43/Stg44 - Div Nordland

German SS and Waffen-SS 1923-1945.
larsdenmark

MP43/Stg44 - Div Nordland

Post by larsdenmark »

Anyone who has info on when Div.Nordland had their first share of MP43/Stg44?

Grafenwöhr/Croatia 43?

or: Seems Luftwaffe dropped some over Leningrad Kessel, but i dont know if any of those
ended up in the hands of Div. Nordland.

Or didnt they get them before Narwa or Tannenberg-line?
Marc Rikmenspoel
Enthusiast

Re: MP43/Stg44 - Div Nordland

Post by Marc Rikmenspoel »

The photos I've seen suggest that Nordland only received MP44 during the summer of 1944. They probably had some just in time for the Tannenberg Line fighting. Hans Gösta Pehrsson is seen with one in a photo taken during July 1944 in the Dünaburg area. Ellef Henry Rasmussen is seen with one next to him in a photo taken in Latvia, either near Riga in September, or in Kurland the next month.
zeigler

Post by zeigler »

Marc Rikmenspoel wrote:The photos I've seen suggest that Nordland only received MP44 during the summer of 1944. They probably had some just in time for the Tannenberg Line fighting. Hans Gösta Pehrsson is seen with one in a photo taken during July 1944 in the Dünaburg area. Ellef Henry Rasmussen is seen with one next to him in a photo taken in Latvia, either near Riga in September, or in Kurland the next month.
I agree, Ive seen countless pictures of the unit, especially AA11 and Regiment Danmark. The only pictures with MP44 ive seen are the ones that Marc mentions. I will ask a expert on the subject tommrow just to check out what I can find!
Reenacting Regiment 24 "Danmark" in the Swedish group FHF
http://www.reenactor.se
larsdenmark

Post by larsdenmark »

Thank you both!!!! :up:

Lars, Danmark
Regiment Norge
Supporter

Post by Regiment Norge »

As for Regiment Norge, the first account of this new weapon is from the summer of 1944. A unit within the Staff of II./SS-Pz.Gren.Rgt 23 "NORGE" was called Mpi.-Zug and was equipped with the new Stg. 44 under the command of the norwegian SS-Ustuf. Knut ERICHSEN, who later fell as acting Mpi.-Zug.fhr on 27.10.44 near Stanaskrogs.
Regiment Norge
zeigler

Post by zeigler »

Im currenlty reading the new Nordland book by Martin Månsson and Lennart Westberg (based on Tiekes book). In the book, there is a part where Unterscharführer Illum tells about the battle of the Tannenberg line. He states that after the battle, during the second half of august and first half of september, many reorganisations in the 3rd battalion was done. Along with this, the new Mp44 was introduced. He could mean the 3rd battlion of the Denmark regiment or the division as whole.

I am not sure if this is the very first batch they received but could very much be!
Reenacting Regiment 24 "Danmark" in the Swedish group FHF
http://www.reenactor.se
Martin Block
Enthusiast

Post by Martin Block »

Can't tell when exactly the division received it first Sturm-Gewehr 44, but numbers appear to have been limited anyway.
On 1.1.1945 the division reported having just 135 of them. In contrast to hat there were 578 other German machine pistols and 5465 rifles (including 26 Maschinen Karabiner 43).

Martin Block
Regiment Norge
Supporter

Post by Regiment Norge »

Hi!

I would guess that both within the staff of II./Norge and Danmark and III./Norge and Danmark they were in the middle of August 1944 equipped with Stg. 44 and the old Kradscutzenzug was reorganized into the new MPi.-Zug. This happened for II. Norge when they were reorganized after the Tannenberg battle in the middle of August 44 and refitting near Toila. The same time or in the beginning of August 44 the units were also issued the new Armelstreifen and Sonnenrad. From a letter by a Norwegian volunteer in 9. Norge he writes home on 4.8.44 that he new are now sitting and are sewing on the Armelstreifen, flag and Sonnerad on his uniform.

To Martin Block?

What document are you referring to when you have this number of equippement in NORDLAND, is it possible to post here?
Regiment Norge