Anti-guerilla operations in Balkans

Book discussion and reviews related to the German military.

Moderator: sniper1shot

Rolf Steiner
Associate

Anti-guerilla operations in Balkans

Post by Rolf Steiner »

Had a quick nose around the Ian Allen shop today, but apart from a Skorzeny memoir, there didn't seem to be much available on the above subject... can anyone recommend a decent read on the Balkan anti-partisan area of things? Cheers in advance!
"And I will show you where the Iron Crosses grow!"
krichter33
Enthusiast

Re: Anti-guerilla operations in Balkans

Post by krichter33 »

I don't know of any, in English anyways. Would love to find a good book on this subject as well.
Klaus Richter
Rolf Steiner
Associate

Post by Rolf Steiner »

Hi Krichter

I'm certainly getting that impression - neither Ian Allen nor the IWM shop had anything promising, although the most obscure aspects of WWII seem to be covered, there's even a large glossy tome on Wermacht rations (the processed cheese in tubes sounds particularly unappetising). Odd how little there is on the Balkans. Wonder what puts publishers off, is it the complicated backstory of regional infighting, or that it was a particularly non-glamourous posting? (but weren't they all??).
hucks216
Contributor

Post by hucks216 »

The only book I can think of that might cover that area - although probably not in an overview style that covers all operations of all units etc is the divisional history of 7 SS Prinz Eugen but as it is written by one of the divisional commanders it is going to be biased and for obvious reasons isn't going to mention the numerous attrocities the unit took part in.
krichter33
Enthusiast

Post by krichter33 »

I've been looking on Amazon and I found a couple of books. I haven't read them so I don't know how good they are. I might have to buy them.

http://www.amazon.com/Partisan-Warfare- ... 521&sr=1-2

http://www.amazon.com/Hold-Balkans-Anti ... 981&sr=1-1
Klaus Richter
nino
Supporter

Post by nino »

Himmler's Bosnian Division by George H. Lepre is a good report for anti-partisan operations in eastern Bosnia from German point of view.
Albania at War, 1939-1945 by Bernd J. Fischer.
Axis Europa publishing house has some books which contain anti-partisan operations in Balkan, like Forgotten Legions (the 'Kama', 'Skanderbeg', and 'Karstjaeger' division, and Drvar attack by SS-FSJ), two books about Slovenian collaborator, and a book about a pro-Axis Russian corps in Yugoslavia. East come West book from the same publisher also has infos about 'Handschar' Division and Albanian collaborator forces.
Rolf Steiner
Associate

Post by Rolf Steiner »

Thanks chaps, will follow those up... was having a peek at this in the meantime:

http://books.google.com/books?id=fqUSGe ... e&q&f=true
Wiking5th
Contributor

Post by Wiking5th »

There is a book about a Volksdeutsh (Saxon from Transylvania if I remember correctly) conscripted into the 7th SS called "Balkan Nightmare" by Anna Wittman that is a pretty good read from the small vision of an ordinary soldier. Sorry I can't be more accurate but the book is packed away right now. He was involved in the last two years of the war then spent time in British POW camp in Italy. All in all a pretty harsh tale.
Wiking5th