Third Wave by Ron Jones

Fiction, movies, alternate history, humor, and other non-research topics related to WWII.

Moderator: Commissar D, the Evil

Annelie
Patron

Third Wave by Ron Jones

Post by Annelie »

An California high school teacher in the 60's did an experiment with his students to show how
easily they can be manipulated into dictatorship, e.g. third reich.

There will be an documentary coming out soon that interviews his students and the impact
it had then and on their lives now.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/s ... .google.ca

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Third_Wave
Annelie

Re: Third Wave by Ron Jones

Post by fridgeman »

The book of Jones is very known in germany, for obvious reasons. There was also a german cinema movie "Die Welle - The wave".
Sadly it seems the documentary will be more another half fiction half history movie made mostly to entertain.
But still looking forward to it.

http://www.lessonplanmovie.com/
Annelie
Patron

Post by Annelie »

Sadly it seems the documentary will be more another half fiction half history movie made mostly to entertain.
But still looking forward to it.

No, the interview I listened to today says its mostly interviewing some of the students that were there
and how they re-acted and what impact it had on their thinking. Its a documentary so the purpose is
supposed to be factual not intertainment.......at least I hope!
Annelie

Post by John W. Howard »

It does not surprise me that people can be manipulated into supporting dictators and the like. The fact that some women try to establish romantic ties with serial killers in prison does not bode well for society :wink: On a more serious note, it is amazing how quickly folks are willing to give up their freedoms when politicians promise such nebulous "good things" as peace, freedom, security, food, and an end to poverty, etc. A healthy dose of scepticism is always needed to prevent disaster. German society was highly educated and cultured and yet still gave itself over to the rule of the Nazis; a lesson for us all.
John W. Howard
fridgeman
Supporter

Post by fridgeman »

Good point Howard.

Just look how many personal freeedom rights the americans gave up, facing a "terrorist treat".
Things like Guantanamo, military courts for civilians, torture, precise bombing or better execution of
people, who never saw a lawyer, a judge or even a court. The whole attack wars in mid east.
Actually, i would wonder to see some of these soldiers infront of a "Nuremberg trial", held by
afghans, iraqs and lybians, what would the soldiers say except "It was my order to kill, i was just part of a system"?

The normal citizens are affected by this too of course. Illegal monitoring and wiretapping,
the secret services (who actually can count down all US secret services, i would stop at 2 dozen)
lost the duty to report to the congress. This list can be continued of course, but i dont want to
look like a conspiracy guy. I dont think thats an american exclusive problem nowadays, its
european too. But americans lifted it to a new level.

A society should stand up and not let @#% happen, but in fear most people seem to accept everthing
just like a herd of sheep.
Annelie
Patron

Post by Annelie »

I dont think thats an american exclusive problem nowadays, its
european too. But americans lifted it to a new level.

We are indoctinrinated slowly until we hardly realize what is going on.
There is always an explanation of which we commonly find ourselves agreeing with.
There is no black and white in the real world.
Annelie