Arnhem 1944

German campaigns and battles 1919-1945.

Moderator: sniper1shot

Roger Griffiths
Associate

Post by Roger Griffiths »

Thank you for your message Benoit. On a beautiful 4th July 1987, I followed, with three friends, the U.S. advance route from Vossenack through Kommerscheid, down the Kall River trail and up to the village of Schmidt, where the advance was stopped by 116th Panzer, and then by the start of the Ardennes offensive. It took the Americans a month, we did it less than a day on foot. This was part of The Huertgen Forest battles.
There were still foxholes and weapons pits on the edge of Schmidt. We found parts of exploded shells and rifle rounds. There were a lot of short rounds from Sturm Gewehr 44's. The following day we followed the course of Kampfgruppe Peiper on the way back home to England.

Roger Griffiths
behblc
Associate

Dr. Richard Holmes. Arnhem.

Post by behblc »

The BBC documentry Battlefields - Arnhem as told by Dr. Richard Holmes is certainly well worth seeing...a clear and detailed narrative of Market garden "warts and all" , I must again praise After The Battles fine 2 Volume history of Market Garden a credit to all who contributed to it.
Monty asked for and was given the single thrust , over so many waterways and against a German Army which knew how to make a little go a long way....XX Corps I feel was always up against it.
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Arnhem

Post by Tom Houlihan »

If you want to learn more about the 101st Airborne, go to

http://www.101airborneww2.com

This is Mark Bando's site. He has written some good books about the Screamin' Eagles, to include their part of Operation Market- Garden.
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
Feldgrau für alle und alle für Feldgrau!