What do you read at the moment?

Book discussion and reviews related to the German military.

Moderator: sniper1shot

grumblejones

Re: What do you read at the moment?

Post by grumblejones »

Reading the Tank Battle at Praga July - Sept. 1944 by Leandoer & Ekholm Publishing.
Luftman129
Supporter

Post by Luftman129 »

Reading Without Hindsight by Gerhard Both.

Thanks,
Chris
R. Evans

Post by R. Evans »

Reading Mussolini by R. J. B. Bosworth and The Coming Of The Third Reich by Richard J. Evans.
Artillerymen believe the world consists of two types of people; other Artillerymen and targets.
Jan-Hendrik
Patron

Post by Jan-Hendrik »

Richard Hargreaves wrote:Oskar Munzel, Gekämpft, gesiegt, verloren - a history of Pz Regt 6. First class. :up:
Indeed, first class :up:

:[]

Jan-Hendrik
R. Evans

Post by R. Evans »

The Austrians- A Thousand Year Odyssey by Gordon Brooks-Shepherd. Good info on Austria between the two World Wars.
Artillerymen believe the world consists of two types of people; other Artillerymen and targets.
sawman

Post by sawman »

The Combat History of German Tiger Tank Battalion 503 in World War II by Dr. Franz-Wilhelm Lochmann, Richard Freiherr von Rosen, and Alfred Rubbel. Published by Stackpole Books in 2008.
Jagger

Post by Jagger »

"NORMANDY: THE BRITISH BREAKOUT" Major J.J. HOW, MC
An argument / "Bluecoat" / being the defenitive battle / the breakout / Normandy.
My opinion, Bluecoat was another attritional battle / the allies, which inevitably assisted a break out. Because the germans placed their {fast} units in the area of the open terrain {British sector, also selected / Monty}, the Germans were unable to conduct a war of movement in the American sector when they broke through. At this stage of the war, the germans were sorely placed to be mobile in an operationla level IMO. I do not disagree w/Major How that the brits were not given their share of accolades, I think a breakout was inevitable, I also agree that the the allied side lacked the level of initiative exhibited by the germans especially early in the war. However, while stimulating, the book really shines because the author has that rare talent to convey "the feel" as if you were there. A good read, and worthy of purchase.
Jagger

Post by Jagger »

"SS-Panzer-Aufklarungs-Abteilung II "Norland""

Recently read "Tragedy of the Faithful", and Carius's book; so was hoping for an operational review of the northern front-1943.
Initially unimpressed, until it got to Berlin. The book really is a series of memories of a couple of the members of the "Swedish" segment of Nordland. Rare in the fact of the scarcity of their actual numbers. The unit was primarily made up of Romanian and other "Germanic" recruits. Was hoping for Narva, got Berlin. I wouldn't say it is a unit history, but a series of memories. Decent non ops photos, minimal maps, no OOB's. Strength of book lies in authors met and communicated w/veterans.
Jagger

Post by Jagger »

Error in statement / OOB, there is one / Appendix.
lwd
Enthusiast

Post by lwd »

Neptune's Inferno. Almost done with it and I'd rate it very highly. Put's the Gaudalcanal naval campaign in context and provides a rather unflinching assessment of US Naval command as well as detailed descriptions of the battles.
fridgeman
Supporter

Post by fridgeman »

Spending much time reading my newest acquirement, Weidingers "Division das Reich".
I have to admit i was abit disappointed of it at some points, but in general i think it is a
very interesting book.
Jagger

Post by Jagger »

"Retake Arnhem Bridge: An Illustrated History of the Kampfgruppe Knaust September to October 1944"
Hardcover: 168 pages
ISBN-10: 9081270338
ISBN-13: 978-9081270335
11.1 x 8.6 x 0.8 inches
Dust Cover, Green Fabric.
Glossy photos and text.
Upon initial reading - diaries of individuals.
Thin book, but well done {labor of love} of two gentlemen bit by the bug; sorta of one of those well written pamphlets purchased at battlefield tours, but quality deserves a library. Personally, if I was buying a book about Arnhem-Market Garden, it would be a required purchase. It does have a separate map, but which is professionally done / a cartographer. But, I think that the authors drew the strings, and quite frankly did it well. WW II, Western Front, Arnhem; essential.
Jan-Hendrik
Patron

Post by Jan-Hendrik »

Die Generale der Waffen-SS und der Polizei, Vol.5 by Dieter Zinke and Andreas Schulz 8)

Excellent one, especially the Bio's of Felix Steiner and Wilhelm Trabandt are outstanding :up:

:[]

Jan-Hendrik
Richard Hargreaves
Author

Post by Richard Hargreaves »

Spiwoks and Stöber's Endkampf zwischen Mosel und Inn. An absolute nugget, jam-packed with first-hand accounts from beginning to end. Picked up for the bargain price of £15. :[]
No-one who speaks German could be an evil man
Hans
Associate

Post by Hans »

Reading, "Die letzten Tage von Nürnberg". Bloody hell & to think I was there. :( :shock: :x :( :shock: :x

- Hans
Was haben wir für dich gewollt
Du deutsches Vaterland?
- H Gehr IR 21./17.ID