Catford, Oblt Keller and Jabo's of JG54

German Luftwaffe 1935-1945.
jerijerod
Supporter

Catford, Oblt Keller and Jabo's of JG54

Post by jerijerod »

Hi guys,

I'm doing some research for a visitor at the museum about the Luftwaffe raid that hit Catford school on the 3rd of February 1943. i've gone throught the Kent messenger reports on the raid and Bob Ogley's book on Kent at war and there is a little conflicting information that I was hoping someone might be able to help me with.

From what I gather Oblt Keller's Jabo's swung in under fighter cover from Me 109's dropped their bombs and then turned towards London except for one that broke off in the direction of Maidstone. The visitor, who had been at the school in the morning was on his way home for lunch when the Luftwaffe roared over. He said at the time he'd heard reports that the German aircraft that had dropped its bomb had been shot down. Another rumour confirms this that a flak batterie on the Thames manned by an elderly man who'd been at catford school when he was young had fired the salvo that destroyed the fighter.
is there any truth to the rumour or was it a properganda thing to make the people feel a little better? I don't know what JG 54's losses were around that time. (It may have even beeen JG 26 as Keller was based with them before 54, the Kent at war was not too clear what unit he was serving in at the time.)

Keller himself was later shot down over Ashford in March of the same year.

Any way thanks for the help
"War ist die Royal Air force???"

"Evacuate? In our moment of triumph? I think you over estimate their chances!"
Simon H
Associate

Re: Catford, Oblt Keller and Jabo's of JG54

Post by Simon H »

Wasn't the 10.(Jabo) Jagdgeswader 54 and 10.(Jabo) Jagdgeswader 26 one and the same as it was renamed during February '43? So Oberleutnant Keller would have belonged to the same unit, albeit by different name.

btw I've also seen an account of Kellers death and it reads very similarly to the account you mention; i.e. he was hit by flak after attacking his target. I wonder if several stories have been mixed together...

I haven't found record of any FW190 losses for 2nd February '43 in relation to your story, will keep looking.

I guess you may know, or may not, that Oberleutnant Paul Keller was born on 23.01.1918 in Gelsenkirchen and is buried in Folkestone New Cemetery, Block O Grave 380.
Simon Harrold

WW2 Battlefield Relics: German Erkennungsmarken decoded.
jerijerod
Supporter

Post by jerijerod »

Hi Simon,

Yeah I have his death as follows:

"Keller's 190 came down in pieces in Goddington Road, Keller himself being thrown out in flames. He died on the ground in a near by playing field and his remains taken for burial to Folkestone New cemetry at Hawkinge."

Thanks for the grave registration number. I may go check it out as Major Heinz Karl Majer is buried there as well.

Cheers
Chris
"War ist die Royal Air force???"

"Evacuate? In our moment of triumph? I think you over estimate their chances!"
Andrew Arthy

Post by Andrew Arthy »

Hi,

I'm not sure if you've seen it or not, but the best coverage of this raid is in Chris Goss' book Luftwaffe Fighter-Bombers Over Britain: The Tip and Run Campaign, 1942-43, published by Crecy in 2003. The Catford attack is covered on pages 176 to 185. Goss says that the attack on Catford school actually occurred on 20 January 1943. On this date Oblt. Keller was leading 10.(Jabo)/J.G. 26, and there was one fighter-bomber lost from this unit. Feldwebel Hermann Hoch was shot down and taken prisoner at Capel at 14:00. Various Bf 109 and FW 190 fighters from J.G. 26 were also shot down over England and France during this mission.

Cheers,
Andrew A.