Battle of Britain

The Allies 1939-1945, and those fighting against Germany.

Moderator: John W. Howard

PaulJ
Contributor

Re: Battle of Britain

Post by PaulJ »

Rodger, not sure what you mean. The RAF *WAS* like the [Brit] Army -- 0fficers' messes and what not. Still is for that matter. What's your point?
Paul Johnston
Per Ardua ad Astra
http://tactical-airpower.tripod.com
Rodger Herbst
Associate

Post by Rodger Herbst »

A large part of the RAF buget was spent on frills instead of necessities such as training, designing aircraft,etc.A lot of money was spent on fancy officers messes and there guest nites ,to me trying to look like army regimental mess' of a hundred year old regiment.
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

to me trying to look like army regimental mess' of a hundred year old regiment.
Actually - that's EXACTLY what they spent the 1920s and 1930s doing - creating a whole new service from scratch that happened to bring along a lot of ttraditions of the Army from which it grew :wink: Again, may I recommend John James to you? The social history element of his The Paladins discusses this in great detail.
there seemed to be a caste system that only gentlemen flew aircraft,others need not apply, then came the war.
Ditto for this - but its worth noting that with the Air reserves, the Auxiliary Air Force etc., the picture had begun to change several years before the war. However - its worth remembering througfh the 1920s and very early 1930s that the RAF was actually a VERY small service! :shock: Not as bad as the post-Napoleonic RN and having to wait until someone died before a low-ranking officer could proceed up the rungs of the promotion ladder...50-yr old lieutenants etc....but not far off it! :shock:
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
PaulJ
Contributor

Post by PaulJ »

Rodger Herbst wrote:A large part of the RAF buget was spent on frills instead of necessities such as training, designing aircraft,etc.A lot of money was spent on fancy officers messes and there guest nites ,to me trying to look like army regimental mess' of a hundred year old regiment.
Okay, there's a clear, specific -- and verifiable -- assertion. I'm willing to be swayed by evidence.

So what was the actual breakdown of RAF budget expenditure in the 1920s and 1930s?

Cheers,
Paul Johnston
Per Ardua ad Astra
http://tactical-airpower.tripod.com