belt pouches

German weapons, vehicles and equipment 1919-1945.

Moderator: sniper1shot

phylo_roadking
Patron

belt pouches

Post by phylo_roadking »

All, I'm in possession of one set of three rifle clip pouches. They APPEAR to be German, and have a German "makers mark" on the back of the middle one - can anyone confirm a date from a company name? Pre-, WWII, or postwar will do!

It looks as if its ABKVA LEDERWAREN GmbH Bad Kreuznach

So, theyre German, and the odd thing is - if genuine - I got them for a pittance many years ago now, and theyre in incredibly good condition. Does anyone recognise the company name?

phylo
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
Terje
Supporter

Post by Terje »

Triple ammo pouches were made by several countries from about the 1880s until a little after ww2. Germany of course, but also spain, france (possibly vichy) and I believe some south american countries. It's a german manufacturer but there was export; Norway's leather Krag pouches were made in Germany. Some countries like Finland imported or was given ww1-vintage triple pouches from Germany along with helmets from both ww1 and ww2.

I need to see the pouches to know more. Are they brown or black, is there an M stamped anywhere on them, do they take 6 or 9 clips?
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

Terje, theyre black, and can't see an M anywhere. The hide dividers inside have been removed ....:-( these were bought MANY years ago and I was stupid enough to remove them. In my youth I didn't think that given the condition and price they could be genuine.....but have been great since for touring holidays on the bike, they in THAT form hold a huge number of 1/4 and 3/8ths inch drive sockets and allen keys, and one carries a change of plugs! LOL

ONE thing that might distingush, as I've tried to chase this detail down but noone can answer; the three metal spikes on the bottom of the pouches for the fastening straps - the outer two are indeed a spike, the middle one is rounded. Is THIS standard?
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
Terje
Supporter

Post by Terje »

Removing the dividers was common so this does not make them less authentic, only a bit less original. I can't immediately recall if all three rifle fasteners were supposed to be idential or not; I'll have to check. What I do know is that during the last two years most german equipment manufactured suffered from lack of raw materials, less skilled workers and worn machinery. in addition to a lot of minor changes to improve efficiency and lower costs. I have seen early and late war triple pouches and typical changes are rivets replacing sewing, shorter and thinner straps and similar.
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

The only "surplus" rivets apart from on the backs are on the corners of the lids, everything else is stitched, and pretty good quality too. I wouldn't call the straps "thin", and theres a faint pressed line on the three front fastening strap, so some care and quality.
ratdog
Contributor

Post by ratdog »

If original to WWII, I doubt that maker marks during the war had "GmbH" on them. That is the American equivalent of "Incorporated", never seen on any 40's era stuff..........................B
Simon H
Associate

Re: belt pouches

Post by Simon H »

phylo_roadking wrote:All, I'm in possession of one set of three rifle clip pouches. They APPEAR to be German, and have a German "makers mark" on the back of the middle one - can anyone confirm a date from a company name? Pre-, WWII, or postwar will do!

It looks as if its ABKVA LEDERWAREN GmbH Bad Kreuznach

So, theyre German, and the odd thing is - if genuine - I got them for a pittance many years ago now, and theyre in incredibly good condition. Does anyone recognise the company name?

phylo
Post war. War time produced pouches were individually marked by the makers. May see it marked DRGM, Deutsches Reich Gebrauchsmuster. GmbH is definately post war.
Simon Harrold

WW2 Battlefield Relics: German Erkennungsmarken decoded.