Ammunition wagons

German weapons, vehicles and equipment 1919-1945.

Moderator: sniper1shot

Commissar D, the Evil

Re: Ammunition wagons

Post by Commissar D, the Evil »

Ah, just as an historical note, I think that whatever regulations on size and weight of wagons went out the window beginning the first Russian winter.

I don't think there are any specs on the Russian "panje" cart, but it was used by the Germans i huge numbers to the very end on the Ostfront. These things always pop up in the background of just about any photo of the German Army in a Russian winter or during a thaw when the mud gets ridiculously thick.

Bestens,
David
Death is lighter than a Feather, Duty is heavier than a Mountain....
Wilhelm Kruger

Post by Wilhelm Kruger »

I'm not much of a historian, but I do know that during the fall and spring rains in Russia, the panje cart was about the only thing that could move. It was light, and had wide wheels and wide axles, which would distribute weight. If you'll note, most of the peasant wagons had stake sides, rather that solid, but it appears that the one in the picture looks may have solid sides. Thats just my two pfennigs worth, though. And as always, I appreciate the input.
Regards,
Kruger
"Lay it close and keep it coming!" Erwin Rommel, 1916
ReinhardH
Supporter

Post by ReinhardH »

Thanks for the additional info about the cart, guys, I appreciate it. Although probably not a German cart, by the way it's parked right there, it certainly appears likely that it's already in use by dad's group, and not just left behind, cover and all, by the locals. He did make it a point to mention that his unit never had any problems from partisans, nor from the locals in the Ukraine .. while not overly friendly, the people there were generally cooperative, and the troops were careful to avoid aggravating them. Most of the soldiers grew up in small towns and on farms during the depression, and understood the hardships.
Ok, I've gone off-topic enough :wink:
Thanks again!
Wilhelm Kruger

Post by Wilhelm Kruger »

Reinhard, I don't consider it off topic, I consider it good input! Anytime anyone has a good story to tell, I would be glad to hear it. And I think that you are probably correct in assuming that the cart was in use by the Wehrmacht, as it still has its horses hitched to it. Btw, I just noticed that myself.
Regards,
Kruger
"Lay it close and keep it coming!" Erwin Rommel, 1916