The world has gone nuts....

Book discussion and reviews related to the German military.

Moderator: sniper1shot

Commissar D, the Evil

The world has gone nuts....

Post by Commissar D, the Evil »

Hi Folk, no this is not the title of a new book and, if you're not in the mood to read a rant, please skip this topic. I was doing a search for some of the Concord paper-bound "At War " series, particularly the two books on the 4th Panzer Division. These are primarily valued for their photos, as are basically all of Concord's soft cover books.

Anyway, I used the search engine of Bookfindersa site I've used very often in the past (haven't been buying many books lately). Anyway, here's the result:

http://www.bookfinder.com/search/?ac=sl ... at%2520war

Now I know the title is out of print, but it's not exactly ancient either. I also know, because I have the books and was buying them for a friend I owe, that each book (there are two in the series) is exactly 72 pages long. So, can anyone explain to me how the price range is from $43 to $198!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

This isn't a new experience for me, just one of many times this year I've been absolutely appalled at the price of out of print, but not really old enough to be considered classic, books.

Try doing a search for some of the Wydawnictwo Militaria titles. :shock:

Is there anyone on this Board who can explain this vicious over-pricing? Does anyone want to defend this practice? Seems to me that, with the advent of the internet, the bookshops, even the old "mom and pop" ones have used the internet to set up what is in effect price-fixing in order to gouge the consumer. (I'm not talking about the search engines like Bookfinders or Abebooks or Alibris, but the individual bookstores themselves.)

It is a brilliantly capitalistic move--once they know what their opposition is selling a book for, no matter how ridiculous the price is, the other bookstores stick close to that price and essentially participate in an unspoken, yet unbroken price-fixing scheme.

This is simply GREED at its most deplorable level.

Bestens,
~D, the EviL
Death is lighter than a Feather, Duty is heavier than a Mountain....
Rotanhäntäpistin
Supporter

Re: The world has gone nuts....

Post by Rotanhäntäpistin »

Well Dave, That is capitalism:) Speaking specifically about the "Armour at War" series, the prices you quoted seem indeed a bit, a big bit at that, steep. I don´t know what is the reprint practice of Concord, but there is obviously a demand so one may ask why don´t they reprint them. Reprinting is cheap since the first edition has already paid for the fixed costs (laying out etc.).
David W
Patron

Post by David W »

Any luck at Amazon.com David?
They are usually reasonably priced I find.
Thanks. Dave.
Mansal D

Post by Mansal D »

A real shame...

It could be the case. Publications are a money-making enterprise and where there is money, there are overpriced goods. Good luck finding a copy.
brevity

Post by brevity »

Nothing for nothing, buddy. If you don't like the price, don't buy it.

If the price is too high, they won't find customers and will lower it.
If they will find customers, then, the price is right (or even too low).

Such a high price is not a bad thing, it's normal. It guarantees that only those who really need these books will buy them.

The publisher is not retarded, once he figures out there is such a demand, he will make a reprint. People like easy money, don't they?

And please do not spit on the capitalism, ok? I used to live under the communism for some years, and remember quite well how "great" books I had to read, because nothing more was available.

Hope u get the point
Regards, Jerry
Rolf Steiner
Associate

Post by Rolf Steiner »

Hey Commissar

I've noticed this sort of thing happening with out-of-print music titles, sellers tend to try it on with prices like these, but what tends to happen, say if someone sticks one on ebay as an auction rather than a buy-it-now, is that they'll go for a lower price than these guys try for. Anyone familiar with London's 'Music And Video Exchange' will also have seen this in action, ie, a 'rare' item gets stuck in the racks for an absurd price in the hope that mythical Japanese tourist falls for it, 6 months later it's still there with a more realistic price... I think what I'm trying to say is, keep an eye on ebay for an auction sale of this title and you may not get stung as badly!
"And I will show you where the Iron Crosses grow!"
Commissar D, the Evil

Hi Rolf, I totally agree with you about e-bay auctions, although it clashes with my need for instant gratification now that I'm 58. :D :D :D

My theory is that, overall, prices were cheaper because there were more buyers. Now shops of all kinds have to sell at higher rates because fewer customers come around.

But that theory doesn't account for the used book world. I sincerely think the prices are rigged by booksellers who won't undercut these ridiculous prices. One fool spending $200 is obviously worth more than 5 folks buying these books for the $20 max they were worth when relesed. At least though, I've been trying to grow out of the "collector's instinct" to buy regardless of price.

It does raise the question, however, of what happens to my library when I'm gone..... :wink: I think I'll have them buried with me, so later archaelogists will believe I died a rich man.

Bestens,
David
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

At least though, I've been trying to grow out of the "collector's instinct" to buy regardless of price.
Lucky you - I haven't made it yet :(
It does raise the question, however, of what happens to my library when I'm gone..... I think I'll have them buried with me, so later archaelogists will believe I died a rich man.
have to admit that this is soenthing that has troubled me quite a few times in the past....not over my relatively small military history collection - it's the 5,000 scifi paperbacks I'm worried about!

I HAD thought for a time of donating them to a library here in N.I - but them I remembered that more than a few of them CAME from library sales, the public library service here selling off their paperback stock occasionally! :shock: So obviously they wouldn't give much of a damn about getting rid of them once my back was turned - permanently!

There are a couple of large wargames clubs here with sizeable role-palying elements, I MIGHT donate them to them....but my other thought is to simply leave instructions for them to be sold as a job lot to my favourite 2nd-hand bookshop, with instructions to use the money to fund one UNFORGETTABLE party! :D :D :D

If I can't leave them to someone who'll treasure them as my "legacy", I may as well leave a mark on the world somehow! :evil: :beer:
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
Commissar D, the Evil

I'm still having my best ones buried with me. Just to prevent some relative having me turn over in my grave by donating the lot to a library.... :evil: :evil: :evil:

Bestens,
David
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Post by Tom Houlihan »

Well, there are always FRIENDS!!!!

I heard that even Commissars have one or two of those...
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
Feldgrau für alle und alle für Feldgrau!
Commissar D, the Evil

:D :D :D :D :D

Ooopppsss

Bestens,
~D, the EviL
John P. Moore
Author & Moderator

Post by John P. Moore »

David - In another 20 years or so as you start getting up in years you might consider giving some of the books away to young, deserving admirers with an inscription from you inside. (Your notoriety will ceratinly grow over the years adding to the value of the books) Quite a few of the books in my library (over 1,600 hard cover volumes at the age of 61) were gifts from German veterans that were given to me during visits to their homes. I don't believe that they were interested in selling their books and they gave them away to myself and others with pleasure. I'll probably do some of the same.

John
kacmarek
Supporter

Post by kacmarek »

To endorse the Commissar on this subject, I have tried to find Heimdal's "La Panzer-Lehr" and "12SS Division Hitlerjugend" and found none selling below 500 USD (Lehr) and USD 300 (HJ). These prices have held on abebooks.com for more than 4-5 years that I've tracked them. Finally gave in and bought HJ (knock on wood, hasn't arrived yet). On other subjects, I bought "V-Missiles of the Third Reich" (Holsken) at similar levels after waiting years for a lower-priced one to surface. Obviously prospective sellers didn't know what I was willing to pay, but one or two I corresponded with were clear that this was the offer - take it or leave it.

Above raises the question of sizes of print runs and so on for "instant classic" military titles - experience should teach what's a viable run.
To take a current example - "Retake Arnhem Bridge", just released, is now unavailable in http://www.amazon.com and amazon UK.
Commissar D, the Evil

John Moore wrote:
you might consider giving some of the books away to young, deserving admirers with an inscription from you inside.
Thanks John, I think that this suggestion is definetly the one I'll follow. It's not right that the young folks interested in the hobby be priced out it and unable to do research.

Bestens,
David
Marc Rikmenspoel
Enthusiast

Post by Marc Rikmenspoel »

As a tangent to the above, Tom at Aberdeen often has the various Concord and Polish Militaria titles available in new or used versions, and at far less cost than ebay sellers (except when he occasionally places books on ebay himself, he takes advantage of that market, but has cheaper options).