Inglorious Basterds (2009 film)

Fiction, movies, alternate history, humor, and other non-research topics related to WWII.

Moderator: Commissar D, the Evil

panzermahn
Associate

Inglorious Basterds (2009 film)

Post by panzermahn »

Anyone watch this WW2 "spaghetti western' directed by Quentin Tarantino? I find it extremely funny and the performance of Christoph Waltz as Standartenfuehrer Hans Landa was amazing with his comical, psychopathic but charming evil.

One thing I must say, the German uniforms were quite accurate. I even saw a glimpse of a Wehrmacht chaplain uniform as wel as a NSKK official collar tabs during the cinema entry of the Nazi bigwigs! And Oberschutze Frederick Zoller wore the white summer 1939 Waffenrock parade tunic (with the long Litzen collar tabs) designed specifically for Ir. Rg. Grossdeutschland plus his GD shoulder straps are correct to the point!

And even German soldiers (Oberfeldwebel Wilhelm, the Spiess) knew what is a Mexican standoff! That is probably the funniest scene of the whole movie

Panzermahn
Rolf Steiner
Associate

Re: Inglorious Basterds (2009 film)

Post by Rolf Steiner »

IngloUrious! Have yet to see it, but I noticed the 70s original has popped up as a cheapie in HMV lately. They tell me that Dead Snow one is a hoot...
"And I will show you where the Iron Crosses grow!"
Annelie
Patron

Post by Annelie »

Saw this movie when it first came out.

The costumes and scenery are great but I disliked the movie itself.
In fact some people (WWII era) walked out halfway through and others when leaving
were heard saying "its a crappy movie".

It didn't stay long at the movie house where it was shown.

Obviously one mans dream of how things could have gone.
Annelie

Post by Rolf Steiner »

Oh, I gather the 'film within the film' - Stolz Der Nation? - is interesting, as a skit of those propaganda min flicks. Supposedly you get a more complete version on the DVD. I've seen some of the promo stuff for this and they do have the artwork very 'period' looking...
"And I will show you where the Iron Crosses grow!"
Stalingrad
Contributor

Post by Stalingrad »

This is my first post here in a long long time.

Well, "Inglorious Basterds"... What to say? As some of you before me have said, the costumes and scenery was good. You can also hear "Ich wollt' ich wär ein Huhn" and other german "Schlager"-songs from the time (the bar sene), and there is a german soldier reading "Der Stürmer". So good details, but the move itself (in my opinion) was grotesque.
Wo ist die Feldküche?
John W. Howard

Post by John W. Howard »

Grotesque just about sums it up for me too, although I would also use the phrase "what a waste". There were a few good actors and good cinematography, but all I could keep thinking was what a waste to give such a budget to Tarrentino. Paul Verhoeven could not find the funding for the Forgotten Soldier which, a true story or not, would have made a much better film.
John W. Howard
sebastian
Contributor

Post by sebastian »

its a typical tarantino movie,nice details,good music,and over the top acting,you know this before watching it,you like him or hate him,im a modest fan of his movies
united we stand,divided we fall
Piet Duits
Associate

Post by Piet Duits »

I very much liked it. It's a Tarantino-movie, so you have to be prepared.

The "movie within the movie" is great too. If you are a movie-lover, you will recognize the scene with the baby. I also loved the Hitler accent :-)

Yes, very enjoyable movie. With accurate items.
Nur für den Dienstgebrauch
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

Grotesque just about sums it up for me too, although I would also use the phrase "what a waste".
I take it you haven't seen the original? :D %E Now that IS grotesque....
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
Annelie
Patron

Post by Annelie »

The "movie within the movie" is great too.
I think most people enjoy "movie within a movie" but this was like someone was coming off drugs and was delusional
at least for me 8)
Annelie

Post by jim morrissey »

Hi all

I personally belive tarantino died after Kill Bill

Everything since than has been hyped on his name-his trademarks are present
quirky characters you get them by the dozen,
none to subtle "Tributes" to past films of the b variety
odd mixes of period music
big name stars
sometimes a painful cameo by himself

I sat through the 2 set dvd and watched all the features-the movie itself is 2 hrs something
Why did i do this?
because I wanted to know WHY this crap was made and WHAT was the purpose
Entertainment?

The execution and torture of regular whermacht soldiers in some bizarre revenge slash 70's underground style movie validated on the understanding that other germans were hunting jewish civilians, they even have a whermacht sgt despite seeing his comrades scalped refuse to divulge tactical information
Brad pit sounding retarded in this cliche deep southern american accent asks what the german sgt got his iron cross for
the sgt replies bravery-than the sgt is beaten to death

What does anyone get from this?

A feeling of nolstagia to old 70's war movies NO none were like this
A feeling of justice?
Just plain fun?

Heres the real annoying thing besides the crappy italian movie he based on there was no ww2 movie made anything like this.
Yes the principal German was played very well but he was so clever that the movies ending undoes itself because of this.

This so smart "villian" makes a deal that puts his unarmed self at the hands of a sadistic homicidal killer and surprise bloody surprise pays for it-mr clever becomes a moron in a few short scenes

What brilliant writing

Yes the uniforms are well done too bad research did not follow on the units location mr war hero here clearly from the GD was a sniper in Anzio unless they loaned snipers?!
im pretty certain the GD was not in italy in 43

Yes it was just a movie but the content was offensive and if not insulting you got drawn out western sequences dressed up in ww2 period costumes

that actor playing hitler should fall down at the feet of the actor from der untergang and beg forgiveness

I watched Band of Brothers afterwards just to clear my head
panzermahn
Associate

Post by panzermahn »

Yes the uniforms are well done too bad research did not follow on the units location mr war hero here clearly from the GD was a sniper in Anzio unless they loaned snipers?!
im pretty certain the GD was not in italy in 43
The uniform that Frederick Zoller wore during the premiere of Stolz der Nation was a prototype parade uniform designed only for GD and was never used during the war itself. I think Brian L. Davis's book was used as the refernce for it
that actor playing hitler should fall down at the feet of the actor from der untergang and beg forgiveness
I think it was okay. Though I think Hitler in this movie gesticulated a lot with his fingers unlike Adi portrayed by Bruno Ganz\

If you watched the full length Stolz der Nation, it reminds me of the original Inglorious Bastards of the 70s where instead of German soldiers being shot and falling down like rags, it was the Americans who run in one whole bunch shooting wildly and got shot like in video games aka Medal of Honor/Call of Duty style

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldrhzw-ZKbA
Wilhelm Kruger

Post by Wilhelm Kruger »

It's like this, kameraden:
Uniforms - Sehr Gut
Scenery - Gut
Plot - Erm... lacking
Actors - Gruss GOTT!! (Monocle falls from left eye.. again) Get them out of my SIGHT!
(Replaces monocle and stalks off)
So basically, this movie "breaks even" in my book, though I went out and bought it on DVD t'other day and feel like I may have wasted my $20 bucks, but, cie la vie!
Kruger
"Lay it close and keep it coming!" Erwin Rommel, 1916
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

I personally belive tarantino died after Kill Bill
He was murdered by a vengeful Peter Fonda after Hell Rider...

And if he wasn't he certainly SHOULD have been! :evil:
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
nebelwerferXXX

Post by nebelwerferXXX »

I have seen this movie already, it's the worst war movie I've ever seen...