Galician Div, market research

Foreign volunteers, collaboration and Axis Allies 1939-1945.

Moderator: George Lepre

ghost
Supporter

Galician Div, market research

Post by ghost »

Hi

A few years ago I published a book on the Galician div entitled To Battle. Due to the publisher’s financial implications, I was unable to include all the material that I would have liked to as a result of which I selected what I thought to be the most appropriate for inclusion. .

That has left me with a significant archive of material which has never seen the light of day. In fact I probably have enough to support an entire book about the same size as To Battle but if I did this most of the information would be duplicated even if I used different accounts / photos to illustrate it.

I was wondering whether I should embark on the following projects and would like some pointers from anyone with an interest;

Option 1..
A new book, new accounts, new photos, new documents etc through a publisher.

Option 2.
A new book (self published) but effectively a supplement to the original work including items left out of the fist book (personal accounts, photos documents etc_)

Option 3.
A new book but not an account or divisional history. It would include specific sections such as Soldbuchs / documents with additional examples, translations of entire documents (useful for researchers), new photos, section on uniform etc.

Option 4
Start a website based on the above.

I am not looking to make any money out of this but it seems a real pity to have so much material left used.

I would be most appreciative for an y comments or advice regarding the above suggestions before I embark on the project.

Best wishes

Mike Melnyk
Richard Schoutissen
Associate

Re: Galician Div, market research

Post by Richard Schoutissen »

Option 4: Start a website based on the above.

That's my opinion!
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Post by Tom Houlihan »

I'd go with the website. When you do, make sure you include a section not only trumpeting the original book, but a direct link to it.
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
Feldgrau für alle und alle für Feldgrau!
panzermahn
Associate

Post by panzermahn »

Hi Mike

I would go for option 2 or 3 or both.

You could redo entirely an divisional history (actions, accounts, battles, postscript) and then another book just like a photobook (Estonian Legion in Pictures, Latvian Legion in Pictures) with uniforms, equipments, miscellaneous for those who were interested in militaria, re-enactment but not too interested in academic research.

For the divisional history, I would like to read accounts on Ukranian veterans who parachuted back to Ukraine after the end of the war to fight against Soviets under the assistance of MI6/OSS/Germans, Ukrainian UPA-SB and SS Jagdverband cooperation in the fight against the Soviets, veterans organization etc. Maybe you have better idea, but it would be awesome to see the genesis of Ukrainian volunteers in the Wehrmacht/SS from Bataillon Nachtigall/Roland to the Ukrainian SS division and UPA. May I recommend that Professor Jeffery Burds would be the expert to look for in dealing about UPA after the war.

I know it's a huge undertaking but perhaps another chapter should be devoted to Ukrainian volunteers in Luftwaffe, Kriegsmarine, OT, NSKK, Schuma etc.

For the photobook, I would love to see materials such as, recruitment posters for the ukrainian SS division, SS kragenspiegln design (Ukrainian lion and the Trident of Vladimir), Stalhelm with Ukranian flag decals, Ukrainian SS belt buckles, weapons, uniforms, vehicles,.

However I am slightly worried that writting a book with such a detail about the Ukrainian SS might backfired since your book might be used by certain groups with intent to witch-hunt down surviving veterans of this division on possible charges of war-crimes regardless if they had been cleared by the governments of US, UK or Canada etc.
RHWinter

Post by RHWinter »

panzermahn wrote:I would like to read accounts on Ukranian veterans who parachuted back to Ukraine after the end of the war to fight against Soviets under the assistance of MI6/OSS/Germans, Ukrainian UPA-SB and SS Jagdverband cooperation in the fight against the Soviets, veterans organization etc. Maybe you have better idea, but it would be awesome to see the genesis of Ukrainian volunteers in the Wehrmacht/SS from Bataillon Nachtigall/Roland to the Ukrainian SS division and UPA. May I recommend that Professor Jeffery Burds would be the expert to look for in dealing about UPA after the war.
You know that this sounds most interesting to me too, Michael!
Richard
AHK
Contributor

Post by AHK »

Why not a Volume 2 or supplement which I would purchase since I already have the book.
Thanks,
AHK