IDENTITY DISC, UNUSUAL

German SS and Waffen-SS 1923-1945.
terentius1000

IDENTITY DISC, UNUSUAL

Post by terentius1000 »

I have an identity disc which is puzzling me very much owing to it's unusual format; can any read or tranlate it for me, or add any useful comments please. Profound thanks to any clever guess. It reads...... 3 SS / 1768 PZ O [ same on both halves with '453' on outside edge]
Nibelung
Patron

Re: IDENTITY DISC, UNUSUAL

Post by Nibelung »

terentius1000 wrote:3 SS / 1768 PZ O [ same on both halves with '453' on outside edge]
Fake comes to mind first.

regards,
Nibelung
There are no desperate situations, there are only desperate people. - Heinz Guderian
-- Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago. --
Simon H
Associate

Post by Simon H »

Indeed it sounds quite dodgy. Could only be bettered if the person who made it wrote "Panser" on it!!

Don't laugh, I've seen it done...

Buyer beware.
Simon Harrold

WW2 Battlefield Relics: German Erkennungsmarken decoded.
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Post by Tom Houlihan »

Simon H wrote:Indeed it sounds quite dodgy. Could only be bettered if the person who made it wrote "Panser" on it!!
Couldn't it then be Finnish??? :shock:
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
Feldgrau für alle und alle für Feldgrau!
Simon H
Associate

Post by Simon H »

Tom Houlihan wrote:
Simon H wrote:Indeed it sounds quite dodgy. Could only be bettered if the person who made it wrote "Panser" on it!!
Couldn't it then be Finnish??? :shock:
Ah, indeed it could. But as it appears to be trying to be 3rd SS Panzer Division all on it's own I doubt it.

It would be good to see it rather than talk about it, but it still sounds far from real.
Simon Harrold

Nibelung
Patron

Post by Nibelung »

Simon H wrote:Could only be bettered if the person who made it wrote "Panser" on it!!
Couldn't help it, it really gave me a laugh! :D :D :D
There are no desperate situations, there are only desperate people. - Heinz Guderian
Simon H
Associate

Post by Simon H »

I have been sent a photo of the item in question and so I'm posting it up for the forum to discuss in detail:

The tag would appear to be attached to an original cord, unfortunately this hides any signs of wear on the two top holes that one might expect to see.

The 453 and 1768 numbers confuse as onw would expect the 453 number to equate to a personal number, the 1768 numbers come in the line where one would expect the wearers unit to be. Therefore 1768 bears no resemblance to any unit in 3rd SS.

Turning to the "3" at the front of the line, this might be read as meaning it is 3rd SS, but also as 3rd Kompanie.

The bloodgroup "0" is where you might expect it to be.

Over all for me this tag, despite some added patina does not look right. Now you've seen it what do you other guys think?
Simon Harrold

Nibelung
Patron

Post by Nibelung »

OK, I have to be honest, I've never seen an SS tag before, I posses one Heer issued though. And as you've said this is just plain wrong...the numbers themselves don't make any sense...at least the 3 and 1768 bit. Undobutedly a fake, with nice FeO add on ;)

best,
Nibelung