Need some input

Book discussion and reviews related to the German military.

Moderator: sniper1shot

Imad
Contributor

Need some input

Post by Imad »

Hello
I just got done reading Zetterling and Frankson's book about the Korsun battle and found it very informative. I know Doug's book Hell's Gate is about the same battle. I would like to know would it be worth reading Hell's Gate? I know it got excellent reviews and I esteem Doug highly as an author but I'm wondering if I can glean more information from that book that cannot be found in Zetterling and Frankson's work.
Cry 'havoc' and let slip... the dogs of war
Wiking5th
Contributor

Re: Need some input

Post by Wiking5th »

My two cents...you will be doing yourself an injustice if you don't read Doug's HG. If you are really interested in not only the how, where, but in making the whole disaster come to life, the feeling of the participants, the horror of what went on that shows so nearly on a map, you need to read this book.You will not be sorry.
Regards,
Wiking
Imad
Contributor

Post by Imad »

Wiking5th wrote:My two cents...you will be doing yourself an injustice if you don't read Doug's HG. If you are really interested in not only the how, where, but in making the whole disaster come to life, the feeling of the participants, the horror of what went on that shows so nearly on a map, you need to read this book.You will not be sorry.
Regards,
Wiking
Thanks
Cry 'havoc' and let slip... the dogs of war
Commissar D, the Evil

Post by Commissar D, the Evil »

I agree with Wiking5th, "Hell's Gate" is monumental and one of the best Ostfront books around.

Bestens,
David
Death is lighter than a Feather, Duty is heavier than a Mountain....
OurSepp

Post by OurSepp »

Yes sir, You need to read Hells Gate yesterday. :D I've read Zetterlings edition but I'd re-read Hells Gate. That is some story!
Popeye127

Post by Popeye127 »

Hell's Gate is a more engaging read and hard to put down, Zetterling's book is very good also but a little dryer in style and for someone like myself who doesn't get too wrapped up in the "technical" details but prefers to get an overall "feel" for the battle I found HG to be more my style.

Regards
P