In search of a German artist?

German Veterans, vet accounts, MIA searches, KIA info, and on relatives who served.

Moderator: Tom Houlihan

Nick1

In search of a German artist?

Post by Nick1 »

this is my first post and I hope I have placed it in the correct section?

I am trying to trace a german soldier who, after the war was held in Suez. Below I will summarise everything I have and hopefully it will not be too vague as no one can be of assistance.

My mother has on her wall 2 paintings of my Grandparents, these where painted by a German. In the bottom right corner is the name W Luhring (or Luhrung). the W is thought to be Willi or a variant. not very comprehensive so far!!

Right, My Grandfather was Clive WILSON, he was with 192 TN (transportation) Stores, attached to 169 Railway Workshops at Suez from 1945-1947/8. the Suez base was as far as I am aware was the main depot for the repair of trains etc.

it is thought that W Luhrung ? could have been a member of the DAK or from troops captured in Italy but I have no other information on this man. I may well be clutching at straws but having tried to find him previously, without any luck, I thought I would give it one more try. I appreciate that in the latter stages of the war many, many thousands of prisoners would have been taken and from all theatres. I am not up on prisoner movements but would only those from Africa and the Italian campaign be held in SUEZ?

where would it be best to search for this German? Many years ago I had a request in "Die Oase" but drew a blank. I may have foulishly assumed he was DAK but it was my first hunch. do indexes of prisoners survive?

I can well appreciate that this is a far fetched request but I would like to have another go at tracing this man or his family. I have attached a picture of some of these POW's in the hope they may help anyone.
German POW's SUEZ 1947
German POW's SUEZ 1947
17.tif (66.02 KiB) Viewed 2936 times
Many thanks in advance of help received

Nick
mightythor99
Enthusiast

Re: In search of a German artist?

Post by mightythor99 »

what is your tif?
there were several good artists in that camp. most, if not all, were captured either in afrika, or italy. i have a couple things from that camp in my archive.
1. a photo album, from a prisoner, and there is some artwork in it, nickol, or something like that is the name on some of it.
2. i have an artists' colored pencil drawing "notebook", or sketchbook. full of really top quality sketches, some very detailed, and all pertainant to the camp. this one has a name in it, that i researched, and it came up as an SS polizei division guy, who was captured in italy. he was not the artist though. the artist traded it to him, or gave it to him, as they were leaving i guess. i was able to contact the family, and got a lot more info from them about their father.
i can dig out the camp photo album and look in there if you like, pretty sure there is not a name match for your artist, but couldnt swear to it.
the camp was originally guarded by the brits,......... who treated the prisoners ok. they moved away, and left them to be guarded by the arabs...... and they stole everything you didnt keep in your hands. then they were shipped home.
I am interested in buying / trading for photo albums, photo groupings, diaries, feldpost groupings,etc, from any country in the world, any army/navy, etc, mostly 20th century!!
Annelie
Patron

Re: In search of a German artist?

Post by Annelie »

could have been a member of the DAK or from troops captured in Italy but I have no other information on this man. I may well be clutching at straws but having tried to find him previously, without any luck, I thought I would give it one more try. I appreciate that in the latter stages of the war many, many thousands of prisoners would have been taken and from all theatres
Your correct about this! The POW's came from Africa, Kreta and all over.
My Father was stationed in Kreta/Greece and was sent to the British Camp in the Suez
but then there were several camps in that region.

http://home.arcor.de/kriegsgefangene/gr ... egypt.html

perhaps this site might also be of help to you?
Annelie