Veterans POW number.

German Veterans, vet accounts, MIA searches, KIA info, and on relatives who served.

Moderator: Tom Houlihan

Joe90se

Veterans POW number.

Post by Joe90se »

HI My father was in the 276th VGD and an antitank gunner in6 Company, Grenadier Regiment 988 when he was taken POW on 4th March 1944. I believe it was at Neustrassbrg. However, The US Army wrote a POW number in page one of his SOLDBUCH (which i have) which was 31G. 1. 119. 049. At 84 my father cant remember which US Division took him prisoner. Cnn anyone help me with the corelation of the aforementioned number and the US unit who captured him?

He was also sent initially to "Camp16" in Western Germany before being sent to France, then the UK as a POW. Does anyone know where Camp 16 was?

Joe90se
mightythor99
Enthusiast

Re: Veterans POW number.

Post by mightythor99 »

what day, and location was he, when he was captured?
the dog tags might be traceable, but he wouldnt have gotten it til he was processed into the camp. do you know what camp he was in in england? i have some of the camp "newspapers", from camp 230, in england, '46 - 48 dated, mostly early ones i think.
that will give you a better idea as to who captured him. they were surrendering in droves, sometimes in the thousands at a time.
I am interested in buying / trading for photo albums, photo groupings, diaries, feldpost groupings,etc, from any country in the world, any army/navy, etc, mostly 20th century!!
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Re: Veterans POW number.

Post by Tom Houlihan »

If the time is available, run through some of the books on the Battle of the Bulge. Find out what US units went up against the 276. That will aid in narrowing it down.
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
Feldgrau für alle und alle für Feldgrau!