Military funerals during Third Reich

General WWII era German military discussion that doesn't fit someplace more specific.
panzermahn
Associate

Military funerals during Third Reich

Post by panzermahn »

Hello folks,

I have some questions about military funerals during Third Reich and I hope someone could help me.

1. For decorated soldiers or officers who were killed in the line of duty, during the funerals, is it true that soldiers of officers of the same rank should be the coffin bearers? I noticed that funerals for RKTs normally would have 6 equal RKTs to carry the coffins? I believed this custom was extended even after the war when a distinguished officer passed away and his coffin would be carried by 6 distinguished veterans. For example, during the funeral of Sepp Dietrich, I believed the 6 coffin bearers would have at least an Oakleaves to their RK

2. Why certain officers' funeral where his coffin were placed on the gun carriage and were pulled by a truck? If I am not mistaken, I recall reading that an officer's coffin were even placed on a panzer III during a funeral. Any significance of this symbolism? Rommel's and Heydrich's funerals, their coffins were placed on a gun carriage

3. What is the symbolism of carrying a pillow with the deceased's decorations and awards during the funeral?

Many thanks
Panzermahn
der alte Landser
Supporter

Re: Military funerals during Third Reich

Post by der alte Landser »

The symbolism of the military funeral with honors goes back far into the past. Many of the traditions you asked about go across national boundaries. The use of a gun carriage to carry the casket of a deceased high ranking officer has also been practiced in the US Army. It brings to mind General Patton's funeral in 1945 where his casket was transported on a modified halftrack. In the modern day US Army, the use of a caisson to transport the caskets of soldiers who fell in service has been extended to all ranks who are interred at Arlington National Cemetery.

Carrying decorations on a pillow is a custom that goes back to the time when noblemen were members of chivalric orders and their badges were carried in this way to show their rank as they were taken for burial.
panzermahn
Associate

Post by panzermahn »

Hi

Thanks for the information. But I noticed the 7-gun salute during military funerals was seldom practiced by the German Army. Also, do you know of any particular ceremony during a military funeral in the Third Reich?
der alte Landser
Supporter

Post by der alte Landser »

Panzermahn: I don't recall exactly where it was, but I've seen pictures of firing parties at German World War II funerals. I can't say whether it was as common a practice as in allied forces, but it definitely existed. The German version of Taps, or Last Post was also played at funerals. It is still used to this day at funerals of German service personnel. Called "Der gute Kamerad," it is one of the most powerful and evocative songs I know of. I've listened to it many, many times, but it still can bring a lump to my throat.

Der Gute Kamerad

Ich hatt einen Kameraden,
Einen besseren findst du nit
Die Trommel schlug zum Streite,
Er ging an meiner Seite
In gleichem Schritt und Tritt.

Eine Kugel kam geflogen,
Gilt's mir oder gilt es dir?
Ihn hat es weggerissen,
Er liegt mir vor den Füßen,
Als wär's ein Stück von mir.
Will mir die Hand noch reichen,