Review: Goodbye Transylvania

Book discussion and reviews related to the German military.

Moderator: sniper1shot

sid guttridge
on "time out"

Post by sid guttridge »

Hi Ljotrulf,

I have checked the BL catalogue under the title, the author and the publisher. It looks as though Breedon Books are in breach of the statutory obligation to send a copy of all new books to each copyright library in the UK.

Shame. I thought I was onto a freebie there!

Cheers,

Sid.
Tulane

Re: Goodbye Transylvania

Post by Tulane »

Ljotrulf wrote:Landau lived in Derby and was a very friendly and open chap who did not shrink from discussing his wartime experiences as anyone reading his book will discover.
I bought my copy of the book several years ago for £4.95, then subsequently bought another copy for a friend at the same price. When I asked about another copy after Landau's death, Breedon Books told me that it was out of print and they had no intentions of re-publishing it as it was "a slow seller".
If there is enough demand for any book it will be re-published so the more requests the publisher receives, the more likely it is the re-appear at a reasonable price.
I might be willing to do it, if they grant me permission (Hailer Publishing)
Wiking5th
Contributor

Post by Wiking5th »

Just got my copy at long last. Price was about $20 more that I was hoping for, but at least I now have this long wanted adition to my collection. Started reading it last night. At 1:30 I decided I better stop since had to be up at 5:45. Was a little Xmas come early for me.
Wiking5th.
Wiking5th
Contributor

Post by Wiking5th »

I just finished reading this after a long search. By the way, thanks to Kordts and Lexx for info to FINALLY be able to track a copy down at a half way decent cost, all things considered.

I enjoyed the book very much, but one thing nags at me. Was it possible for him to have been so many different places, and involved in so much for a lower rank enlisted man? The undercover work, frequent furloughs, ends up fighting in Berlin at the end. Almost seemed to overwhelming.

Is this me just me looking for a "Forgotton Soldier" controversy where there is none or did any other readers feel somewhat questionable about all that Mr. Landau relates happening to him?

In any event, it was great reading and worth the effort to acquire the book.
Regards,
Wiking5th
pzrmeyer2

Re: Review: Goodbye Transylvania

Post by pzrmeyer2 »

anyone know of a place where I can obtain a copy of this book?
John W. Howard

Post by John W. Howard »

Hey PzM:
If I remember correctly it was published by Breedon Book Publishing in Great Britain at one time. I did a quick search and it looks like Breedon no longer has any copies. There are two on Amazon for $179.00 and one at the German Militaria site for $238.00. Best wishes.
John W. Howard
kanzel
Supporter

Post by kanzel »

The book is in publication again. Alibris.com is showing a bunch of them starting at $9.95.
Wiking5th
Contributor

Post by Wiking5th »

Another book along the same lines is "Balkan Nightmare." About a Transylvania Saxon conscripted into the Waffen-SS. He was assigned to 7th SS "Prinz Eugen".

Was a good read, but I must question the fact that the author repeatedly states he never witnessed any atrocities committed by the SS.

Has anyone else read this book and care to give their thoughts?

Wiking5th
kanzel
Supporter

Post by kanzel »

I've made a big MISTAKE. The source I listed for Goodbye Translylvania for $9.95 is by Samuel Bistrian -- seems there are TWO books with this same title.