Marders in the Ardennes?

German weapons, vehicles and equipment 1919-1945.

Moderator: sniper1shot

Paul_9686
Associate

Marders in the Ardennes?

Post by Paul_9686 »

Did any German unit in the Battle of the Bulge use the old Marder panzerjaeger vehicles (any chassis)? I see mention in my reference books of Hetzers, StuGs, Jagdpanzer IVs and Jagdpanthers, but I have yet to see a mention of Marders. Seems to me that with this being the last throw of the dice, virtually anything that could move and shoot (and take out a Sherman) would be more than welcome, at least in a volksgrenadier division, if not in any of the German mobile divisions. That they were open-topped and exposed their crews to the elements (and enemy fire) might be seen as immaterial beside their usefulness in the anti-tank role.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Yours,
Paul
Martin Block
Enthusiast

Re: Marders in the Ardennes?

Post by Martin Block »

Hello Paul,

As far as I can tell none of the German divisions actively engaged in the BotB did field any Marder type s/p a/t guns. The Panzer and Panzergrenadier divisions had long been upgraded to more modern tank destroyers and/or assault guns. The Volksgrenadier divisions for the most part had just been formed during late summer/early fall 1944 and none of them had been supplied with Marders anymore since production of this type of vehicle had already ended during May 1944. Usually they had a company with StuG III/IV or Jagdpz. 38 instead. GHQ Pz.Jg. units equipped with Marders had not been active in the West anyway.

There is only one possible exception I can think of at the moment but that is not fully confirmed. The OoB charts of the 116. Pz.Div. do show 2 s.Pak (Sf.) without further specification with Pz.Felders.Btl. 146 on 1.12.1944 and on 1.1.1945. But since these vehicles do not show up in the accompanying status reports and also so far do also not show up in any other 'Panzerlage' report I know of I still have my doubts if it might be simply a wrong entry or a confusion between 'Soll' and 'Ist'.

If they actually were still there they might have been survivors of the originally 6 Marders in Pz.Jg.Abt. 228 taken over from the 179. Res.Pz.Div. during May 1944. Anyway, meanwhile being with the divisional training unit it would have been unlikely they would have seen any combat action in the Ardennes unless in a real emergency situation.

Martin Block
Paul_9686
Associate

Post by Paul_9686 »

Thank you, Martin; it's a disappointment, to be sure, but who's going to argue with an authority? 8) Not moi!

Yours,
Paul
Kelvin
Enthusiast

Post by Kelvin »

11. Panzer division did have six Marder in Dec 1944. But she did not take part in Ardennes offensive. But German planned to use it to support 7. Armee but the lack of motor vehicles make her very immobile to go to battlefield.