German teenage draft

German Veterans, vet accounts, MIA searches, KIA info, and on relatives who served.

Moderator: Tom Houlihan

German Born
Supporter

German teenage draft

Post by German Born »

I am looking for some info on a 19 year old german who was drafted into the German Army in 1941
He was in the Tank (Panzer) division so I would like to find out where he would have been assigned to?
Having been captured by the Russians in 1945 would that mean that he was on Russian soil?
Having been released in 1947, 2 years after the official end of the war,was this standard procedure for a POW in Russia?
Just another brick in the wall 1961-1989
bil
Supporter

Re: German teenage draft

Post by bil »

If he was captured in 1945,I doubt he was in Russia,at least not at first! :( And home in 47 was lucky,some were kept until at least 1956,lots stayed forever! ---bil
German Born
Supporter

Re: German teenage draft

Post by German Born »

You are probably right when you say"one of the lucky ones"
It would have been a shock to any prisoner of war to return to their home town (if it remained)
For some maybe the idea of being shot was thought of as they discovered that the home town they had left had completely been destroyed.
I think it would have been a bit easier for the younger ones than the older to come back home and rebuild not only their country but their whole lives.
One can only admire the determination and effort these fine fighting men gave for their country.
Just another brick in the wall 1961-1989