Arnhem 1944

German campaigns and battles 1919-1945.

Moderator: sniper1shot

Peter

Arnhem 1944

Post by Peter »

Any information about the Arnhem battle, from German as well from British/Polish point of view is most welcome

see the webpage http://www.arnhembattle.com or go to http://www.kampfgruppe.com
Ernst-H
Supporter

Post by Ernst-H »

Hallo Peter,

I have some material on the evacuation from arnhem in 1944 from my grandparents

Raumungsamt amrbinde with accompanying documentating etc...

is this of interest to you?
Peter

Arnheim

Post by Peter »

hallo Ernst,
many thanks for your message. I am very interested in the material you mentioned.
Could you send me a xerrox copy of it?
My e-mail address is [email protected]
Hope to hear from you,
Kind regards,

Peter
redbaron

Post by redbaron »

Try 'It never snows in September' by robert kershaw for the German view of the battle
Pat D
Supporter

Market Garden

Post by Pat D »

"A Bridge too Far" by Ryan is the standard allied account of the battle.
redbaron

Post by redbaron »

For the Allied view try 'Arnhem 1944' by Martin Middlebrook or 'Arnhem' by A. D. Harvey.

A bridge too far is just a 'Movie' narrative and is a rather outdated view of the battle, but it is still a great read.
PP303

Post by PP303 »

There was a book written by Leo Heap titled The Evaders which deals with the evacuation after Market-Garden ended.
HaEn
WWII Vet

arnhem

Post by HaEn »

Try www.rememberseptember44.com There is a whole lot of info there. Vr.Gr. HN
Ernst-H
Supporter

Post by Ernst-H »

Does anybody know a good website that deals with the civilian/human story of Arnhem...........and NOT the military?

about 95000 civilians where evacuated/forced out of arnhem in september 1944 and later thousands more from the surrounding.

My grandparents where among them and fled to the town of Harderwijk. They didn't make photographs......but I'd like to find some photo's of the exodus

anybody?
Benoit Douville
Contributor

Post by Benoit Douville »

Ernst-H,

It must have been terrible for those people and your grandparents who tought that the war was over after 4 years under the Nazi occupation forces in Holland, but they will have to wait almost another year until the Canadians came to liberate Holland. It was a huge mistake by Montgomery. It was a Bridge Too Far...

Oh, Great site that you have.

Regards
Roger Griffiths
Associate

Post by Roger Griffiths »

FM Montgomery was a cautious general. Market Garden was out of character for him, although as it developed, he reverted to type. The plan was fine, but Brit. XXX Corps progress was so slow as to undermine whole operation. German forces were not strong enough to oppose determined attack by XXX Corps.

Roger Griffiths
jgilbert

Post by jgilbert »

A Bridge Too Far is actually a very good book for the side of the allies. Very detailed and Red Baron incorrectly ID'ed it as a 'movie narrative'. The movie was based on Ryan's book, as well as accounts from veterans of the Battle of Arnhem/Market Garden. There were several vet 'overseers' on the movie, and one of the actor's (I can't remember which right now) was a genuine veteran from the battle.
Roger Griffiths
Associate

Post by Roger Griffiths »

I agree. It was a fine book and a fine film. Cornelius Ryan did mis-state some unit descriptions (Which I did not notice when I read the book) but he was dying of cancer.

The Germans were very proud of this victory, as the troops at Arnhem were a real hoch potch. The active remnants of II SS Panzer Corps were sent to Nijmegen. II SS Panzer Corps only numbered 9,000 men before the battle.

Roger Griffiths
Wally

Post by Wally »

There is another web site http://www.marketgarden.com It is similar to the rememberseptember44 website. It is worth a look though.

Regards,

Wally
Benoit Douville
Contributor

Post by Benoit Douville »

Roger Griffiths,

It was indeed a great victory for Germany. It was a series of great victories at the end of 1944 for the Germans with this win in Arnhem, in the Battle of the Hurtgen Forest and also in the beginning of the offensive of the Ardennes.

Regards