Documentary Market-Garden

German campaigns and battles 1919-1945.

Moderator: sniper1shot

Kritonner

Documentary Market-Garden

Post by Kritonner »

Hello,
We are in the process of making a film about a small story as part of the Market-Garden operation, the battle of Ginkel Heath. Ginkel Heath was the drop zone on September 18. It was defended bij the Kong's Own Scottish Borderers. We would like to interview members of the the Dutch Wachtbattallion from Camp Amersfoort, members of the German unit detached at the Stevin Kaserne in Ede and members of the Krafft Kampfgruppe.
The film is part of the commemoration 2009 of Market-Garden.
Regards,
Ec2c films,
Kritonner

Re: Documentary Market-Garden

Post by Kritonner »

Further research has shown, that the Wachbattailon is the SS Wachbattaillon Nordwest under the command of Helle. More specific, there is new evidence that Camp Amersfoort is part of a much larger training facility for SS troops. And some errors occur in the first post: the Kings Own Scottish Borderers and the Wachbattaillon.
haen2
WWII Vet

Re: Documentary Market-Garden

Post by haen2 »

Kritonner wrote:Further research has shown, that the Wachbattailon is the SS Wachbattaillon Nordwest under the command of Helle. More specific, there is new evidence that Camp Amersfoort is part of a much larger training facility for SS troops. And some errors occur in the first post: the Kings Own Scottish Borderers and the Wachbattaillon.
Funny I should blunder into this subject.
The "training" of Waffen SS troops, connected with the Wachbattalion, was done with the 2nd Company ( Ausbildung und Ersatzompanie) under the leadership of SS Hptstf.Fritz Ziegler. He had been at the eastern front with the Norwegion Legion, saw heavy losses, and one day got news that the city of Kassel had been bombed and his home and whole family had been wiped out. He started drinking to forget, and at one momemt "lost it."
He was then transferred to an ersatz unit, but I don't know which one. From there on he was given a choice of some western positions. (1943). After a short inspection he chose the 2nd Kompany of the W.Bat. and vowed that it would be better trained than the unit he had been with at the eastern front.
For that reason he requested and received several "ausbilders" with frontline experience, as well as some newly trained Dutch noncoms.
Although i had signed up for the Westland, I was "temporarily" kept in Holland, because of terminal illness of my mother (until she got better or died).
When three weeks into my training she indeed died, i requested transfer to my unit, which was denied.
He somehow took a lining to me, and I to him; although he was not always a very nice person. I told him that I would not accept any duties as keepijng watch at the nearby concentraion camp, and would not participate in any action, other than "war" against my fellow Hollanders. He saw I was serious, and for whatever reason, vowed that he would keep me from performing those duties.
He kept his word to the very end. I was sent to snipertraining, (no good though) and got an about 2 month "sanitäts helfer training, by the bat, Arts Dr. Dykema.
Also was assigned as Zieglers melder (not putzer, or orderly).
When Arnhem came around, He and I were on our way back from transporting a bunch of indicted SS prisoners from the kriegs wehrmachts gefängnis in Scheveningen to Dachau.
Meanwhile Stibaf Helle had screwed up royally, the man had had no frontline experience and was a typical bureaucrat in uniform.
About a third of the Wachbattallion was wiped out by the Kings Own Scottish Borders, who (both sides) fought hand to hand with anything they could get their hands on.
Another 200 men had deserted or were "missing in action". As Ziegler had hoped, the 2nd Kompany lost very few man, and only two desertions.
When we came back on the scene, Ziegler was ordered by General von Tettau to gather the remnants of the Wachbattalion, that had not yet been absorbed by other units in the area. For a few days (the rest of the battle) I served as Zieglers melder (messenger" and somehow got recognized as the kid that would get there and back, even through enemy territory. On the side I also carried my medic bag, and gave field first aid (actually against orders) on my trips to whoever needed it, friend or foe.
When the Allies finally had to surrender after a very VERY brave fight, it was back for us to the barracks, meanwhile detached from the nearby camp, and a little later absorbed in the Landstorm Nederland..
Frome there I was sent to Kradmelder schule, etc. etc. and at war's end was again Zieglers melder.
This in short. There is an excellent site on the web "Defending Arnhem" , you may wish to look at it.
Haen
joined forum early spring of 2002 as Haen- posts: legio :-)

Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think !