Military Experience of everyone here?

General WWII era German military discussion that doesn't fit someplace more specific.
FK

Military Experience of everyone here?

Post by FK »

Hey guys, i'm just curious, who among us has military experience? It's not important, or even relevant to the topic of Germany in WW2. but I'm curious, and I think we'd all find it interesting.

I'll go first. I served 5 years in the US Army, from 1966-1971. THis included two tours in Vietnam with the 25th Infantry Division- "Tropic Lightning".
Wolfkin
Associate

Post by Wolfkin »

I was in the Canadian Army Reserve for a brief spell. Not much to tell. I didn't really accomplish anything. I found out that I would make a really lousy soldier. So, I decided to study Military History as a hobby insead of making the Military a career. :D

I would join again if my country were invaded or if we really needed soldiers. I would do this to protect family and loved ones. I still have many friends in the Army. Most have done U.N. and NATO tours. Bosnia, Kosovo and such.

Cheers,

Wolfkin
Amateurs limit their study to either Tactics, Strategy or Logistics. Professionals study ALL THREE of these!!!
karltrowitz
Supporter

Post by karltrowitz »

I was serving Queen and country in the Royal Air Force as an aircraft engineer from 1984-1996.I've worked on Jaguar,Nimrod and Tornado aircraft. 8)
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Military Experience

Post by Tom Houlihan »

I joined the US Navy 9-79. Shortly after that I realized my error, and finished out my time as a machinist's mate on a CGN. In 11-85, I enlisted in the USMC. I graduated grunt school as a machine gunner. Served in 2nd Marines, then went to sea duty aboard USS JFK. After the war, someone decided there were too many grunts (in the Corps???), so I went to the airwing to salvage my retirement. Said retirement rolled around 11-99, so I got my 20! :D
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
Feldgrau für alle und alle für Feldgrau!
FK

Yea, I regret it too

Post by FK »

Yea, I regret joining too. I was one of the few idiots who volunteered for Vietnam, and when I got there realized it wasn't the fun I thought it would be when someone was shooting back at me. But the army beat the situation at home. My unit was unfortunately caught up in the tet offensive, and I was wounded at an airfield outside Saigon.
The Chief
Supporter

Post by The Chief »

I joined the US Army Reserve waaaaay back in...97. I enlisted as an MP and right after I made E-5 I joined ROTC and now I'm about to be commissioneed as a 2nd LT.

Happy Research,
-Rick
D.W.
Enthusiast

Post by D.W. »

I served from 1986 to 1992, also did a tour in the 25th (Tropic Lightning) and then on to Ft. Carson, Colorado, with some military deployments to Korea, Thailand, Japan and 6 months at Ft. Hood, Texas thrown into the mix.

Had a wonderful time and the experience was priceless. I would not trade those 6 years for anything, and that is saying something, because they were defintely not always the "best of times"....
Baltasar
Enthusiast

Post by Baltasar »

I did military service in the Bundeswehr 7/99-04/00
Wenn man nichts zu sagen hat, einfach mal die Fresse halten.
pzrmeyer2

Post by pzrmeyer2 »

CPT, US Army, Field Artillery 1992-1999
1st Armored Division
2nd Infantry Division

Redleg!
Rudi S.
WWII Vet

RE: Military experience

Post by Rudi S. »

RAD and Wehrmacht from Dec 1941 until June 1945 (Unteroffizier in 5. Panzerkompanie GD/FBB).
US Army (Corps of Engineers) from May 1948 until April 1952 (at end of enlistment: Bn. Opn. Sgt. of 29th Topographic Engineer Bn).
After this, a few years in US Army Reserve.
http://www.feldgrau.com/interview6.html
Rudi S.
Rudi S.
WWII Vet

RE: Military experience

Post by Rudi S. »

RAD and Wehrmacht from Dec 1941 until June 1945 (Unteroffizier in 5. Panzerkompanie GD/FBB).
US Army (Corps of Engineers) from May 1948 until April 1952 (at end of enlistment: Bn. Opn. Sgt. of 29th Topographic Engineer Bn).
After this, a few years in US Army Reserve.
http://www.feldgrau.com/interview6.html
Rudi S.
Craig
Banned

Post by Craig »

RAA
RACMP
RAAF, still serving
HISTORY IS WRITTEN BY THE FASTEST RUNNER!
stab131
Contributor

Service

Post by stab131 »

Army Infantry and Special Ops. 21 years in uniform.

Includes Desert Shield and Storm.
CIB, EIB, Ranger Tab, FreeFall Parachutist, Air Assault, Jungle Expert -- usual mix of troop (commands and staff) time and TDA time (mainly in Washington DC). Served at company, battalion, brigade, division, and Major Command level. :D Also time in TRADOC :( .

Combat tour was with the best -- 101st.

Jeff
Helmut
Patron

Post by Helmut »

In the US Army Infantry 1972 to 1983 in CONUS and Germany.
Piet Duits
Associate

Post by Piet Duits »

Jan. 1993 - Sept. 1996, Lance-Corporal with the 11th Royal Dutch Airmobile Brigade (3rd shift since it's excistence).

After initial training, and getting the red beret, I went to the 11th Mortar Coy (120mm Mortars), after that I served with the 12th Infantry Batallion (also 11th Airmobile Brigade), with which I spent 6 months in Srebrenica/Potocari, as Dutchbat II

I was attached to the Section S2/S3 over there.

Last unit, also within the Brigade, was the 11th Support Company, which I hated because there was nothing for us to do...