Valkyrie (upcoming film)

Fiction, movies, alternate history, humor, and other non-research topics related to WWII.

Moderator: Commissar D, the Evil

Jock
Associate

Post by Jock »

Sorry for having such a lame grasp of German, but could some freundliche seele see their way to translating the preceding text?

I always value Rudi's contributions, and would like to read this.

Cheers,
Jock
Mansal D

Post by Mansal D »

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/e ... iecast.jpg

The guy on the lower left hand side was the lead SS medic in Der Untergang, I believe. He was a good actor.

Because lazy Americans do not wish to read subtitles (not people here, just general population...and yes I live in America) they have everything in English. Actors playing the roles aren't great, but we'll just have to see. I'd be interested in seeing how it plays out, seeing as he gets captured etc.
panzermahn
Associate

Post by panzermahn »

k98_man wrote:http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/e ... iecast.jpg

The guy on the lower left hand side was the lead SS medic in Der Untergang, I believe. He was a good actor.

Because lazy Americans do not wish to read subtitles (not people here, just general population...and yes I live in America) they have everything in English. Actors playing the roles aren't great, but we'll just have to see. I'd be interested in seeing how it plays out, seeing as he gets captured etc.
His name is Christian Berkel. He played as Dr. Ernst Guenther Schnenck in Der Untergang and General Kaurtner in the movie The Black Book

Regards
Panzermahn
Richard Hargreaves
Author

Re: Valkyrie (upcoming film)

Post by Richard Hargreaves »

Interesting film - saw it last night. There was a lot they got right, not least Fromm (probably the stand-out performance for me) and a few things they should have developed. It should have been a good 30 mins longer to develop some of the characters, not least Stauffenberg. Hitler's a peripheral figure - almost to the point where he barely exists... which is odd for a film about an attempt on his life. Goebbels' role on July 20 was far more significant too. And Remer was far more fanatical than he comes across on celluloid.

So not in the same league as Untergang, but definitely one of the better WW2 movies. How nice to see Germans portrayed as something other than goosestepping nutters by Hollywood. :[]
No-one who speaks German could be an evil man
pzrmeyer2

Post by pzrmeyer2 »

I thought it was ok too, although it certainly made them out to be more altruistic then they probably were. Still, no preaching or Big H moralizing, just the straight story. = 2 thumbs up...

now, for real crap, I suggest Defiance, probably one of the most kitchy, chauvanistic, racist movies ever made....
Richard Hargreaves
Author

Post by Richard Hargreaves »

Oh, the Hollywood ending :roll: :roll: And no touching on the atrocities/war crimes controversies. No, just your friendly-neighbourhood partisans and their cardboard cut-out foe... :(
No-one who speaks German could be an evil man
pzrmeyer2

Post by pzrmeyer2 »

Richard Hargreaves wrote:Oh, the Hollywood ending :roll: :roll: And no touching on the atrocities/war crimes controversies. No, just your friendly-neighbourhood partisans and their cardboard cut-out foe... :(
no doubt! I havent seen Germans die that stupidly since those cheap bs films like "Battle of The Bulge" and "Patton". y'know...where the Germans run out from cover in to the open to be cut down en masse, and usually one bullet takes down about 10 of them...

absolute garbage
Christoph K
Supporter

Post by Christoph K »

Don't get me started on Defiance....as for Valkyrie....It was a good movie that told the story as good as hollywood possibly could. Some minor details were off and some bigger ones (like the seditious talk with a General in NA who gets killed durng the same attack where Stauffenberg got wounded). But it gives a fair portrayal and if one overlooks that it is Tom and just wants the story....I think it was good (4/5)
Ye who dig's the pit!
Shall fall into it!
panzermahn
Associate

Post by panzermahn »

Hi folks

I just watch Valkyrie last night. Not too good but not too bad either. It is quite decent with Cruise performance although I think characters like von Quirnhem (Christian Berkel), Major Remer (Thomas Krestchmann) should be further developed. Friedrich Olbricht's character is well played too. von Haeften character's too...

Downside is that Uncle Adi is barely belieavable (Bruno Ganz should played him though I am not sure he speaks English or not), Goebbels had not much of any role at all (in fact he only spoked couple of lines). Several actors/actress from Paul Verhoeven's Black Book film was also cast in Valkyrie like Carice van Houten, Waldemar Kobus and Christian Berkel. Himmler didn't even have any lines at all.

The uniforms really look great (as usual with Wehrmacht uniforms)..I could also notice the difference in the Waffenfarbe for Stauffenberg's uniforms as well as the rest of the German officers. It seems to me almost every officer and most of the enlisted soldiers had Iron Cross 1st, 2nd class and the Blutorden. Tactical and number plate markings were correct in the vehicles used.

One thing I find it strange is that during the final moments of the Stauffenberg, it is interspersed with scenes from the Volksgerichthof where infamous Freisler was shouting at the defendents (not as convincing as Andre Hennicke's portrayal as Freisler in the movie Sophie Scholl - The Last Days)

Another thing typical with Hollywood productions on movies with German military themes of WW2 is that you have the main characters speaking in English and then background voices speaking in German... ;|
Beppo Schmidt
Associate

Post by Beppo Schmidt »

Bruno Ganz should played him though I am not sure he speaks English or not
He does, he was in the remake of The Manchurian Candidate. He has a very heavy accent, but he speaks English.
pzrmeyer2

Post by pzrmeyer2 »

Beppo Schmidt wrote:
Bruno Ganz should played him though I am not sure he speaks English or not
He does, he was in the remake of The Manchurian Candidate. He has a very heavy accent, but he speaks English.
He also played the law professor in The Reader
Annelie
Patron

Post by Annelie »

Bruno Ganz has long been in films where he spoke other than Deutsch.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0004486/
Annelie

Post by pzrmeyer2 »

Annelie wrote:Bruno Ganz has long been in films where he spoke other than Deutsch.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0004486/

Of course Ganz has done the best Fuhrer impersonation to date, but does anyone really think he's be willing to do it again and risk being typecast? Remember how much criticism that movie generated from the traditional enemies of free speech and real history for portraying Hitler as a human being? I doubt Ganz would want to risk his career given who signs his paychecks and approves his scripts.
Worldwarstoday

Post by Worldwarstoday »

How historically accurate is Valkyrie?

Professor Brendan Simms from the University of Cambridge gives his opinion on the historical accuracy of the movie:

http://www.worldwarstoday.co.uk/2011/10 ... kyrie.html

I have to agree with him. I think the movie was well researched with only a few minor historical inaccuracies.

Like Der Untergang, I can watch it every 2 or 3 months without getting bored of it. :D
Annelie
Patron

Post by Annelie »

One thing that bothers me a lot when watching recreation of history in film
is hearing an German in the movie with an English accent. It completely
throws me off. Wish they could at least try and sound German.

I agree with poster about der Untergang. Never get tired of
watching the movie. Extremely well done. One feels they are
actually watching those days unfold in real.
Annelie