SS-Standarte 'Germania' on 15/16.IX.1939, Muzylowice, PL

German campaigns and battles 1919-1945.

Moderator: sniper1shot

Njorl
Contributor

SS-Standarte 'Germania' on 15/16.IX.1939, Muzylowice, PL

Post by Njorl »

Hello all!

I'm trying to find out some more information (especially from German point of view) on battle that took place at night 15/16.09.1939 in village of Mużyłowice (Muzylowice; now Ukraine ca 40 km W of Lviv).

I know that 'Germania' didn't fight in Poland as one cohesive unit, but parts of it were attached to 2. PanzerDiv., 5. PanzerDiv. and 2. LeichtDiv.

I found Germania's O. de B. for 'Fall Weiss' in Axis History Factbook
Regiment Stab
I. Infanterie-Bataillon (mot)
II. Infanterie-Bataillon (mot)
III. Infanterie-Bataillon (mot)
13. Infanterie-Geschütz-Kompanie (mot)
14. Panzerabwehr-Kompanie (mot)
15. Kradschützen-Kompanie
Nachrichten-Zug
Kradschützen-Zug
Musikkorps
15.09.1939 parts of 'Germania' attached to 2. LeichtDiv. stationed at Przylbice, Muzylowice, Mogila and Czarnokonce villages and were given task to close the roads leading east and prevent Polish troops of 'Karpaty' Army from reaching Lvov.
I found out, that Muzylowice (inhabited mostly by German colonists) was occupied by:
- regiment's HQ,
- 3rd. battalion,
- support subunits.

At night Muzylowice was attacked by Polish 49. IR (called 'Huculski' or 'Strzelców Kresowych' = 'Border Rifles') of 11. Carpathian ID, led by LtCol. Hodała. Poles went into battle with their rifles unloaded. Germans were caught completely by surprise and suffered heavy casualties. Commander of III battalion SS-Obersturmbannführer Koeppen and regiment's aide-de-camp SS-Obersturmführer Schomburgwas were killed in hand-to-hand combat. Regiment's HQ fled to Jaworow (some 10 km N of Muzylowice). Moreover the unit lost almost all of its heavy equpment, including 8 howitzers 10,5 cm, AA guns battery, majority of mortars and HMGs plus all vehicles.
Nevertheless, III batallion rallied quite quickly and since 17.09.1939 was used to cover flank of XVII Korps.

Aftermath of the battle in a daylight - column of burnt-out vehicles in the middle of village

Now, the questions:
  • What other units (apart of III battalion and HQ) were in Muzylowice that night? Captured howitzers make me think of 13. IG-Kompanie (mot.) Am I right? Any more support subunits?

Where did the AA battery come from? 2. LeichtDiv.? Or was it a Korps-level unit? Or is it somebody's error/exaggeration? (some Polish sources claim that whole Standarte was badly mauled or even destroyed at Muzylowice that night...)

What were the German casualties? Were they heavy indeed?
Any additional info will be appreciated.
Regards,

M
"Always be ready to speak your mind and a base man will avoid you" W. Blake, Proverbs of Hell
Jan-Hendrik
Patron

Post by Jan-Hendrik »

Koeppen and 22 other men of III./"Germania" were killed that day

Jan-Hendrik
Njorl
Contributor

Post by Njorl »

Hello there Jan-Hendrik and many thanks for information. I take your "that day" as 15.09.1939.

Having checked one more source (A. Zawilski "Bitwy polskiego września" vol. 2, Lodz 1989) I owe some correction of facts.

Fighting between Polish 49. IR and SS-Standarte 'Germania' started already in the afternoon 15.09.1939. Standarte withdrew to line Przylbice, Muzylowice, Mogila and Czarnokonce.

Night attack of 15/16.09.1939 started at ca. 9 pm. Muzylowice and Mogila was attacked by 49. IR (11. ID). I battalion of 98. IR (38. Reserve ID) attacked Czarnokonce shortly before midnight and captured it after heavy fighting. There the Polish captured 60 motorcycles with MGs on sidecars, three batteries of artillery, 12 anti-tank guns, over a dozen combat vehicles and tens of lorries with ammunition. When the battalion moved further Czarnokonce was reoccupied by Germans and had to be assaulted again by III battalion of 53. IR (11. ID).

Moreover the same source says, that at dawn 16.09.1939 II battalion of 96. IR (38. Reserve ID), while marching towards Tuczapy, collided with motorized column belonging to "Germania" and captured ca. 20 vehicles.

Now more questions.

Muzylowice and Czarnokonce (ca 4km from each other) are mentioned separately. The destruction of equipment captured in Czarnokonce is not openly stated, but the meaning of sentence suggests so ... in order to destroy artillery equipment with munitions and motorized equipment captured there, (Czarnokonce) had to be captured again by Major K. Kowalski's III battalion of 53. IR. As I see it, not only III./"Germania" lost its heavy equipment but some more units did. Who was in Czarnokonce that night? 15. Kradschützen-Kompanie and 14. Panzerabwehr-Kompanie (mot)?

Did the II. battalion of 96. IR indeed came across some part of "Germania", or mabe was it some unit of 1. GebirgsDiv.? If so, what unit?

Regards,

M
"Always be ready to speak your mind and a base man will avoid you" W. Blake, Proverbs of Hell
tigre
Patron

SS Germania in Poland 1939.

Post by tigre »

Hello Njorl, here goes what I could find:.

With the XXII Pz K. (XXII Pz K KTB).

11 Sep 1939: The SS Germania should be attached to the Corps on Sep 12.

13 Sep 1939: The SS Germania (less one Battalion) was at 05:30 hours at the west exit of Jaroslaw and advancing via Wysocko - Krakowiec reached its defensive positions east and southeast of Jaroslaw at 15:30 hours without enemy contact.

At 15:00 hours one Kradsch.company (15./ SS Germania) sent towards Sadowa Wisznia to block there the main road Przemysl - Lemberg captured one Polish battalion (around 500 men).

14 Sep 1939: At dawn the SS Germania informed via one orderly Officer that the Kradsch company deployed at Sadowa Wisznia was counterattacked at dusk and had to retreat towards north with great number of casualties. great part of the enemy troops were moving from Przemysl to Lemberg.

At 06:00 hours the Corps order that the road was to be blocked by fire. All the SS Regiment was to move to Sadowa Wisznia urgent. ARKO 30 sent the III./ AR 109 (less 10 cm battery) to Jawarow.

At 16:00 hours the II./ SS Germania was advancing towards Oleszicze.

15 Sep 1939: 03:00 hours the ARKO 30 informed about the fights of the SS Germania at Jaworow.

At 06:00 hours one strong attack north of Bortiatyn broke through the SS Regiment. Parts of the motorized Advance guard of the XVII AK joined with the SS Gerrmania.
The 1 GD could block the road at Grodek Jagiellonski.

At 22:40 hours Arko 30 informed about a strong attack against the SS Germania at Jaworow. The III./ SS Germania retreat towards the line Mogila - height north of Tuczapy. The II./ SS Germania and the 2. and 3./SS Germania were sent urgent to Jawarow north under XVII AK orders.

16 Sep 1939: At 02:10 hours the SS Germania informed that due to superior enemy had to give ground to the north. located at the south edge of Jaworow.

SS Germania was to be under XVIII AK orders from 17 Sep onwards.

The map taken from: Klęska SS-Standarte "Germania"
w relacji płk. dypl. Bronisława Prugara-Ketlinga.

Its all, I hope be useful for you in some way. Cheers. Tigre.
Serás lo que debas ser o no serás nada. General José de San Martín.
Pirx
Associate

Post by Pirx »

Hi Njorl.
Can you tell me if Polish air strike by squadrons 216 and 217 (PZL-P37) on XXII armoured regiment had influence on fights against "Germania"? Why this bombardment was so important for this combat?
amicus Plato, sed magis amica veritas
Njorl
Contributor

Post by Njorl »

Tigre, thanks a lot! Your information on Polish Campaign amazed me again :up:

To add some more information on Germania's trail in Poland - IIRC at September 11th it was in Tarnow. I also found out that it marched through Szczucin and Mielec - in the light of tigre's information apparently between Sept. 11th and 13th. (Standarte is most probably responsible for death of 40 and 27 civilians in those towns.)

Pirx, I have to look it up in my books. I'll do it after work. Though I remember reading in Zawilski's book about Luftwaffe's (??) bombing of Mużyłowice on 16.09.1939. I'll check this as well.

Warm regards,

M
Njorl
Contributor

Post by Njorl »

Hello Pirx

This is what I found in J.B. Cynk's Samolot bombowy PZL P-37 "Łoś" (WKIŁ, Warszawa 1990) on XV Dywizjon Bombowy:

September 14th
16th Squadron (ie. renamed pre-war 216th Squadron): At 9 am flight of 3 machines (commanded by Capt. Cwynar) took off to bomb armoured troops in Lublin-Kraśnik area. Each plane carried eight 110kg bombs. Flying at 100m the flight crossed Bug river but was forced to change course towards Zamość - owing to poor meteo-conditions crews were not able to see the ground, let alone to find its target! Instead the flight accurately bombed small motorised column.

17th Squadron (ie. renamed pre-war 217th Squadron): no bombing missions

September 15th
16th Squadron:
Some sources claim, that 3-plane flight bombarded German columns in Włodzimierz Wołyński - Sokal area. This information isn't confirmed by reports made neither by LtCol. Heller, nor Capt. Dukszto and seems to be product of mistaken date
17th Squadron: no bombing missions this day

September 16th
16th Squadron: 5 planes made mixed sortie: rebasing from Wielick to Buczacz with bombing en-route. 3-plane flight led by Capt. Dukszto attacked German troops in Włodzimierz Wołyński - Hrubieszów area. the second 2-plane flight bombed German vehicles on road near Włodawa.

17th Squadron: late morning 3 planes made bombing sortie - it's target being Hrubieszów area. This was the last combat action performed by PZL P-37 in September 1939.

Not much there, BUT X Dyon made some more sorties in Rzeszów-Przeworsk-Jarosław-Jaworów and Włodziemierz-Zamość-Jarosław-Lwów areas between 10th and 12th Sept.

More to follow soon.

Regards,

M
Pirx
Associate

Post by Pirx »

Hi Njorl.
My question is linked with this inflo:
http://samoloty.webd.pl/polskie/p37.htm
amicus Plato, sed magis amica veritas
Njorl
Contributor

Post by Njorl »

Hello,

If somebody finds this topic interesting here are some more photos taken in either Muzylowice or Jaworow. Most of them are said to be taken on September 18th 1939. Photos were found on on-line auctions (mainly Ebay.de and Allegro.pl) and their scans were posted on Odkrywca.pl forum. It also happened that I own last three of them.

On several of them one can see 8.8 cm Flak - apparently belonging to some Korps/Armee unit, but which one? So far I know, that these could be Flak-Abt.94, Flak-Abt.92, I./Flak-Reg.18 (all attached to 14. Armee), or maybe I./Flak-Reg. 38 (attached to 5. PzDiv). Any help appreciated.

Regards,

MJU
Domen121

Post by Domen121 »

Domen123
Enthusiast

Re: SS-Standarte 'Germania' on 15/16.IX.1939, Muzylowice, PL

Post by Domen123 »

Here three pictures of Polish soldier who participated in those combats - Jan Gundlach:

Poles attacking Mużyłowice during the night 15./16.09.1939:

Center of Mużyłowice (8 German motorized artillery guns were captured there):

Picture is showing some other combat (probably one of combats with tanks of Panzer-Regiment 15. from 5. Panzer-Division near Rzęsna Ruska - near Lwów - on 18th of September or later):

Oberst Streich - commander of Panzer-Regiment 15. - one of the most talented Panzerwaffe officers (during the battle of Pszczyna, after Oberst Schuckelt was defeated and escaped from his units on 1st of September, he rescued the situation for the Germans and later gained victory in combat near Ćwiklice on 2nd of September. He also was with his units all the time, while Oberst Schuckelt could not be found anywhere in the evening and during the night 1./2. IX - he came back to his units in the early morning on 2nd of September):

Here most probably not Mużyłowice - but Czarnokońce or Rogoźno - so the same battle - and the same / similar German units:

I'm not shure if these four photos are showing the same place as two previous ones:

And this destroyed armoured vehicle belonged to SS "Germania":

tigre
Patron

Post by tigre »

Hello pals :D; a little story dealing with one gebirgsjäger at Dobrostany, he was Leutnant Frobenius.................

Leutnant Frobenius

Those weren’t only clouds, which were flowed, together ascended smoke columns over the area of Grodek-Jagiellonski – Dobrostany – Hartfeld – Sadowa-Wisnia, where since three days a embittered battle was in course.

The Division of Munich drove the remnants of the Polish divisions back, those that had advanced fiercely against a SS-Standarte at Jawarow. However, the forest gave the poles the possibility to gather their striking force again and again so they could press against the, under extreme strain, gebirgsjägers deployed at Grodek and Dobrostany.

Our bombers attacked the enemy rear disturbing them so they shifted the efforts northwards on the wooded land of Janow-Jaryna. But the barriers held – our casualties weren’t small however – among others the Division’s Staff lost Leutnant Frobenius, an editor of a Munich newspaper, which fell at Dobrostany. Leutnant von Weizenbeck was severely wounded.

“I have a especial task”, said to us Leutnant Frobenius full of joy. At 01:00 o’clock (17 Sep 1939) he drove away in the night wit his special job towards Dobrostany. His departure was in good mood. Now, he followed his father, who fell in 1914, into the soldier’s death; a granade’s splinter struck through his steel helmet.

Source: Von Lemberg bis Bordeaux. Leo Leixner. 1942.
GEBIRGSJAGER Photo Album & Feldpost - OFFICER - GJR 100 - KIA Poland. Historial Media.

Cheers. Raúl M 8).
Attachments
He was the man.
He was the man.
image001.jpg (135.89 KiB) Viewed 33586 times
The grave after the battle.
The grave after the battle.
image005.jpg (122.39 KiB) Viewed 33571 times
The grave as could be seen later.
The grave as could be seen later.
image006.jpg (134.3 KiB) Viewed 34076 times
Last edited by tigre on Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
tigre
Patron

Post by tigre »

Hello guys :D; something more on Leutnant Frobenius.........................

Source: GEBIRGSJAGER Photo Album & Feldpost - OFFICER - GJR 100 - KIA Poland. Historial Media.

Cheers. Raúl M 8).
Attachments
Marching again...........
Marching again...........
image003.jpg (37.06 KiB) Viewed 33466 times
A new fresh grave has been dug out in Poland.....
A new fresh grave has been dug out in Poland.....
image004.jpg (121.65 KiB) Viewed 33498 times
Domen123
Enthusiast

Post by Domen123 »

tigre wrote:Those weren’t only clouds, which were flowed, together ascended smoke columns over the area of Grodek-Jagiellonski – Dobrostany – Hartfeld – Sadowa-Wisnia, where since three days a embittered battle was in course.
Richard Hargreaves wrote:Hartfeld and Dobrostany

Before Dobrostany, to the north of Grodek.
Saturday September 16th, in the afternoon.

Behind us, where we’ve come from, farmers toiled in the field – as in the depths of peacetime.
Suddenly shots crash.
Pfui, pfui, pfui whistling over us. The telephone wire along the road begins to swing wildly. Several wires are shot and fall down.
Enemy machine-guns bark in a lively fashion. We leap from the truck and jump into ditches which offer some protection. Gun and machine-gun fire seems to be coming from both sides, the shells of anti-tank guns landing are clearly visible. For several moments the vehicles remain on the road, abandoned; some receive hits. The situation seems to be completely chaotic; the protection of the forest offers good cover for the enemy. Under a hail of bullets, the machine-guns are offloaded, mortars and infantry guns are assembled and brought up. After a short time the first shots crash, we wait instinctively for them to land on the enemy’s side. Shot after shot leaves the barrel, our machine-guns begin to fire with their rapid tack – tack – tack, but the enemy also shoots continually.
Our open ground on the other hand offers bloody awful cover compared with the enemy’s well-camouflaged position. So we go over to the attack, making use of any cover in leaps and bounds. There’s the satisfying rattle of our machine-guns, and the shells hurtling over our heads seem to bring us some relief. As darkness sets in the shooting seems to relax.
Dig in! A potato field is perfect, and ditches and foxholes are quickly dug. We lie next to each other at intervals. We pull our tent cloth over us. The cool of night makes itself felt. The glow of a burning farm very close lights up no man’s land. So we lie in our burrows, the broad heavens arching above us. There’s hardly any thought of sleeping.
“Hurrah – hurrah!” As if a thousand throats are screaming, the cries roar towards us from behind. The noise gets louder, machine-guns bark, for a moment the connection between the two is unclear. Enemy in our rear? Thoughts race through our minds at lightning speed. We can clearly make out: “German soldiers, give yourselves up! Offensive!” Who’s saying that? Orders arrive: The enemy is trying to storm the village to our rear. There’s crashing on all sounds, on all sides bitter fighting. In a flash, the village goes up in bright flames, thick clouds of smoke drift across the entire field. This hellish dance seems to last forever; my watch already shows that it’s 2am. [VII Armeekorps, Wir zogen gegen Polen, Berlin, 1940]
The day and night-long battle of Hartfeld was the first battle of Polish 97. Reserve Infantry Regiment from 38. Reserve ID since the beginning of war - a completely inexperienced Polish reserve infantry won the battle thanks to the bravery of exhausted by withdrawal marches and hungry soldiers, but suffered huge casualties - mainly due to the German terrific artillery fire, huge firepower superiority and Luftwaffe bombings:

"[...] Soldiers were exhausted and in terrible moods. Around midday [on 15.09.1939] during a strong German air bombing, a briefing of high commanders took place in Sadowa Wisznia.

Account of lieutenant colonel T. Walich concerning the AA defence of Sadowa Wisznia in period 14.09.1939 - 15.09.1939 [it was defended by one Reserve AA MG company]:

"during bombings, when enemy planes were going down even up to 30 metres above the ground, any MG staff did not leave its post, fireing to the end. Commander of this company as well as its soldiers, deserve the greatest recognition"

During the briefing general Kazimierz Sosnkowski discussed the situation and variants of further operations. Reports from 38. Reserve ID and 11. ID said, that along the Wereszyca river, near Grodek Jagiellonski and Kamienobrod, a powerful German barrier was detected, with strong bridgeheads on the western bank of the river along the line from the south to the north across Bratkowice, Burgthal, Haliczanow, Hartfeld, hill 317 "Turecka Mogila" and a little bit weaker garrisons along the line: Tuczapy, Czarnokonce, Muzylowice, Ozomla, Rogozno, Jaworow.

Possibility of being encircled by the enemy seemed to be the lowest from the southern side.

Three variants of operations were considered:

- crossing the Wereszyca river and march along the shortest road towards Lwow
- march to the north towards Jaworow for the purpose of connecting with Army "Cracow" under command of general Antoni Szylling
- march to the south across Komarno and later behind the Dniestr river, to the Romanian Bridgehead

[...]

The decision was made to march to the north-east and to break through the Janowskie Forests to Lwow.

[...]

Divisions received the following orders:

- 11. ID under command of colonel Bronisław Prugar-Ketling will assault in north-eastern direction and will seize the Janowskie Forests in the area of localities Szklo and Moloszkowice, where it will take the defensive positions facing the western and south-western directions. 11. Heavy Artillery Unit [Polish: Dywizjon] under command of major Zygmunt Dobrowolski, which was advancing with 38. Division so far, is attached to the division.
- 38. Reserve ID will conquer Dobrostany and Kamieniobrod, where it will prepare the defence from the west and from the south.
- 24. ID under command of colonel Bolesław Schwarzenberg-Czerny will advance in the second stage, behind 11. ID.

[...]

At 16:45 [on 15.09.1939] 1st battalion of 97 IR under command of mjr. Jozef Trzesinski supported by 1/5 Heavy AR attacked Rodatycze, which were captured after the combat which lasted until the dusk. The enemy withdrew to the main defensive positions, covering himself with patrols. Behind Rodatycze near the manor-house 3rd battalion under command of major Franciszek Wrona took the lead and 1st battalion was advancing behind it. Around 23:00 III/97 was heavily fired at by artillery and machine gun fire from the locality Hartfeld, which was occupied by German Kampfgruppe "Ernst", supported by III/AR.79 under command of Oberstleutnant Bialonzig and from the hill 317 "Turecka Mogila", by Kampfgruppe "Zimmer".

In such situation major Franciszek Wrona immediately prepared his companies to the assault and after heavy combat he captured Hartfeld and Rzerzyczany, breaking through to the north-east. Especcialy fierce combats took place in the heavily filled by German soldiers cemetery located south of Hartfeld, where among numerous KIA was the commander of German III/AR.79 Oberstleutnant Bialonzig, who had got his command post there.

Also I/97 under command of mjr. Jozef Trzesinski which was advancing in the second stage joined to the assault, and also managed to break through the German barrier, but under heavy casualties.

Due to the darkness and strong fire (soldiers of the regiment for the first time were under direct fire) battalions and companies mixed, and command became much hampered.

During the battle of Hartfeld the commander of 1st MG company of 97 IR, captain Władysław Chełchowski, and around 200 riflemen [from 97. Reserve Infantry Regiment] were killed.

Commander of 2nd company was heavilly wounded, commander of 3rd company was slightly wounded, colonel St. Zielke was contused. Major J. Trzesinski, commander of 1st company of 97 IR, captain Kazimierz Zbaorszczyk, wounded commander of 3rd company and six other officers plus around 200 riflemen (mainly wounded) were captured. German casualties were also heavy, but any exact numbers are unknown."

And further combats:

"Around 4:00 on 16.09.1939 II/97 advancing on the right wing captured Bratkowice and the hill 296 located north of Bratkowice with use of its 4 company under command of captain Alfred Szmidt. Polish losses were 2 KIA, 2 heavilly and 4 slightly wounded. German casualties: 5 KIA and several wounded. 9 German soldiers were captured. On the left in the direction towards Burgthal 6 company of 97 IR under command of captain Władysław Ullman was attacking. The assault was supported by 2 MG company. But Luftwaffe bombing, heavy MG, mortar and artillery fire of German Kampfgruppe "Friedmann", supported by I/79 Geb. AR under command of Oberstleutnant Winkler and 12. heavy battery of 79. Geb. AR, made the Polish breakout in this direction impossible.

Commander of II/97 IR - who wanted to rouse his soldiers into fight with his own example - was heavilly wounded and later died. 4 company of 97 IR and 6 company of 97 IR suffered 40% casualties. Captain Alfred Szmidt was seriously wounded. In the evening on 16.09.1939 German strengthened 179. Infanterie-Regiment from 57. Infanterie-Division attacked rears of Polish II./97 IR, which was already involved in combats - as the result of this attack major part of the Polish battalion was destroyed. Only 5. company, part of 2. MG company and small group of soldiers from 6. company managed to leap aside to the north, where they joined the group commanded by colonel J. Pecka. Polish artillery, disorganized by heavy whole day-long Luftwaffe bombings, lost communication with advancing forward infantry, and did not support it at all during that combat.

Attached to 96 Reserve IR, I battalion of 98 Reserve IR attacked Czarnokonce from the locality Laszki after 23:00 on 15.09.1939. Czarnokonce were defended by units from motorized regiment SS "Germania". After around one hour of fierce combats, Czarnokonce were captured and inside the village over 60 motorycles with MG trailes, three artillery batteries, 12 AT guns, a dozen or so armoured vehicles and several dozens cars & trucks were captured. The enemy lost 50 KIA or WIA; 2 officers and 13 soldiers were captured. Polish casualties were 2 officers and 30 NCOs and soldiers KIA or WIA, including seriously wounded (later died) commander of 3 company of 98 IR lieutenant Pluta, wounded sub-lieutenant Mazurkiewicz and slightly wounded major St. Marek. Heavy Polish losses were caused by friendly fire of own MGs and mortars of 1. MG company from 98 IR under command of lieutenant Kunicki, which were fireing at Czarnokonce, and didn't know that the 3rd company had already captured this village. This fire was stopped not until the intervention of the battalion commander. After clearing the locality, the battalion marched towards Muzylowice, which were already captured by 49 infantry regiment from 11. ID. General Kazimierz Sosnkowski who was in Muzylowice, after receiving major St. Marek's report about the result of the combat, ordered him to destroy the German equipment captured in Czarnokonce. Then I/98 marched further towards Lesniowka and in the afternoon reached on 16.09.1939 reached the southern edge of the Janowskie Forests near Kertyna and Wola Dobrostanska. According to the orders it took defensive positions there with two companies (the third company in reserve) at the edge of the forest crosswise, the road from Dobrostany, closing the direction to locality Jaryna. [...]"

From Ryszard Dalecki's publication.
Attached to 96 Reserve IR, I battalion of 98 Reserve IR attacked Czarnokonce from the locality Laszki after 23:00 on 15.09.1939. Czarnokonce were defended by units from motorized regiment SS "Germania". After around one hour of fierce combats, Czarnokonce were captured and inside the village over 60 motorycles with MG trailes, three artillery batteries, 12 AT guns, a dozen or so armoured vehicles and several dozens cars & trucks were captured. The enemy lost 50 KIA or WIA; 2 officers and 13 soldiers were captured. Polish casualties were 2 officers and 30 NCOs and soldiers KIA or WIA, including seriously wounded (later died) commander of 3 company of 98 IR lieutenant Pluta, wounded sub-lieutenant Mazurkiewicz and slightly wounded major St. Marek. Heavy Polish losses were caused by friendly fire of own MGs and mortars of 1. MG company from 98 IR under command of lieutenant Kunicki, which were fireing at Czarnokonce, and didn't know that the 3rd company had already captured this village. This fire was stopped not until the intervention of the battalion commander. After clearing the locality, the battalion marched towards Muzylowice, which were already captured by 49 infantry regiment from 11. ID. General Kazimierz Sosnkowski who was in Muzylowice, after receiving major St. Marek's report about the result of the combat, ordered him to destroy the German equipment captured in Czarnokonce.
:
Domen123 wrote: Here most probably not Mużyłowice - but Czarnokońce or Rogoźno [...]:

And this destroyed armoured vehicle belonged to SS "Germania":

Richard Hargreaves wrote:Ruins of the Polish Southern Army
Grodek-Jagiellonski, September 18th, 11am

The glow of fires flaring up and the rumble of battle during the night informed us of the bitter battle involving our troops and the Polish divisions which were stubbornly trying to force a breakthrough to Lemberg. This morning we drove there. The road had already been secured; the Kampfgruppen Pemsel, Utz and Kress are clearing out the forest at Dobrostany, ten kilometres north of Grodek, as far as Janow, from where the Munich division is advancing on Lemberg...
We see signs of the hasty retreat on the road to Grodek. A field kitchen has been knocked into a ditch by a shell, abandoned buses stand by the road, Polish caps and sacks lie about in huge numbers. We pass through Ukrainian villages; life continues its course there as if nothing has happened. The farmer drags his plough across the wide field to prepare to sow his grain for the winter; black and white speckled cattle graze in the meadows and maids raise water buckets from wells, herds of geese cry. A refreshing breeze greets us from the forest - the sun toys with the breaking day. A wonderful land appears before us; its fertility is so blatantly contrasted by the poverty of its people. [Leixner, Leo, Von Lemberg bis Bordeaux: Fronterlebnisse eines Kriegsberichters, Franz Eher Verlag, Munich, 1941]
On 18.09.1939 Germans introduced a Panzer force against the Polish Operational Group "Southern" under command of general Kazimierz Sosnkowski - Panzer-Regiment 15. from 5. Panzer-Division attacked Polish forces - mainly in the area of Rzęsna Ruska:

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=30610&p=216568&hil ... gn#p216568
7. Battles west and south-west of Lemberg;
a) Combats of 15. Panzer-Regiment near Rzesna Ruska, Hołosko and Brzuchowice - 18.09.1939 - 20.09.1939;
Picture by Jan Gundlach from Polish 11. Infantry Division:

PS:

From the thread "Poland 1939: KIA German officers" in Axis History Forum:
Bialoncig Josef, 14.09.1892, Obstlt., [Kdr. III. Abt./Geb. A. R. 79], [1. Geb. Div.], 15.09.1939 (Hartfeld b. Lemberg), VB, Kaltenegger, Die Deutsche Gebirgstruppe, S. 115
Domen123
Enthusiast

Post by Domen123 »

On 13th of September 1939 15th motorcycle company from SS Regiment "Germania", while protecting the road Przemysl - Lwow, captured Sadowa Wisznia. Then it attacked by surprise and captured a Polish 500 men strong battalion which was marching along the road towards the east (although most probably it was a group of reservists not a battalion). During the night from 13th to 14th of September German forces in Sadowa Wisznia were attacked by forward elements of II. and III. from 98 reserve infantry regiment and suffered casualties: 19 killed (mainly from the 3rd platoon), 3 wounded, all motor vehicles of the 3rd platoon, 11 captured (mainly from the 3rd platoon) including the commander of 15th company - Hauptsturmführer Mühlenkamp. Poles reported capturing 11 POWs; recapturing 500 prisoners from German captivity; destroying 8 cars; booty was 12 motorcycles, 2 cars and 2 truck. Poles didn't report suffering any casualties. Sadowa Wisznia was recaptured.

Source: W. Włodarkiewicz, "Lwów 1939", Warsaw 2003, p. 117 - and in footnotes no. 13 & 14 he provides sources:

- O. Weidinger, "Division Das Reich. Der Weg der 2 Panzer Division Das Reich. Die Geschichte der Stammdivision der Waffen SS", volume I, 1934 - 1939, Osnabruck 1967, pp. 181 - 182
- account of cpt. Jan Wollak, operational officer of 38th Res. Inf.Div., from 11.1945; PDN WIH, sign. II/2/302, p. 14