Division 185

German Veterans, vet accounts, MIA searches, KIA info, and on relatives who served.

Moderator: Tom Houlihan

Panzer Mooyman
Supporter

Division 185

Post by Panzer Mooyman »

We just got information back from the Deutsche Dienststelle. We are looking for information about a relative.

Truppenteil: laut Meldung vom 29.10.1944, 6. Kompanie, Division 185.

Thing is I cant find anything about a Division 185, it is not listed on Feldgrau and Lexikon der Wehrmacht. We do know that he was taken POW in the area Beeringen - Antwerpen - Breda. The only logical idea came to my mind is that they ment the Grenadier-Regiment 185 which was in the area under the command under Generalleutnant Chill.
What also is strange is that the listed place of birth is Knock/Hann. which I translate to a small village near Hannover, Ger. While we know the person in question is Dutch.

All help is welcome.
Richard Schoutissen
Associate

Re: Division 185

Post by Richard Schoutissen »

Panzer Mooyman wrote:We just got information back from the Deutsche Dienststelle. We are looking for information about a relative.

Truppenteil: laut Meldung vom 29.10.1944, 6. Kompanie, Division 185.

Thing is I cant find anything about a Division 185, it is not listed on Feldgrau and Lexikon der Wehrmacht. We do know that he was taken POW in the area Beeringen - Antwerpen - Breda. The only logical idea came to my mind is that they ment the Grenadier-Regiment 185 which was in the area under the command under Generalleutnant Chill.
What also is strange is that the listed place of birth is Knock/Hann. which I translate to a small village near Hannover, Ger. While we know the person in question is Dutch.

All help is welcome.
The Grenadier Regiment 185 in the area Beeringen - Antwerpen Breda on Sept. 44 ?

Can you sent me a copy of the letter you got from the deutsche Dienststelle, I think you are overlooking something. Isn't it 85 Infanterie-Division?

Do you have more Info regarding the period he was captured.

A further Infanterie-Regiment 185 was set up for the 85. Infanterie-Division on April 14 1945 in Döberitz.
A.C.E. van T.

Re: Division 185

Post by A.C.E. van T. »

85 I.D. became Kampfgruppe Chill during Market-Garden.
Several units were absorbed by Kampfgruppe Chill due to the fact that it was send to all hotspots,resulting into heavy casualties.
It operated first from Massenhoven to Beeringen up to Grave
Beginning october it was send to the Woensdrecht theatre.
On october 29 Kampfgruppe Chill was situated some miles north of Bergen op Zoom -Roosendaal.
It's opponent was at the Bergen op Zoom was the Canadian 4 Armoured Division.
At Roosendaal the British 'Polar Bears"