Victoria Cross Winners - Past & Present

A place for off-topic posts not related to this website. All messages are purged frequently.
Kampfgruppe Wilhelm

Victoria Cross Winners - Past & Present

Post by Kampfgruppe Wilhelm »

New Zealand soldiers have served the British Commonwealth's war efforts since it's own colonial and native wars right up to Iraq and Afghanistan.

The highest award for courage and bravery for such servicemen, as anyone would know, is the Victoria Cross - not a visibly important-looking medal, but having a status unsurpassed by any other award in the British and it's Commonwealth's armed forces.

I am a native New Zealander (a Maori, if you would), and we have furnished a recent recipient - one Corporal William (Bill/Billie) Apiata. Refer this link for info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Apiata

He has naturally been lauded throughout the land, right up to governmental level, and been feted pretty much wherever he's gone.

New Zealand also holds place among VC winners that served during World War II. We furnished a young country boy officer - one Captain H. Upham - twice winner of the prestigious award during the conflict.
John W. Howard

Re: Victoria Cross Winners - Past & Present

Post by John W. Howard »

Hello KG Wilhelm:
I have always had a high regard for the Kiwis; they fought very well in Italy in WWII and other places as well. I think there must be something about Aussies and Kiwis growing up on the wrong side of the world which makes them good fighters :D Best wishes.
John W. Howard
jerijerod
Supporter

Post by jerijerod »

Sorry some shameless advertisement for my work place :shock:

The Imperial War museum in London is expanding its Victoria/george cross room/ exhibit/ pain in the ass to guard -thing later in the year.

Lord Ashcroft is loaning a large part of his collection and sinking money into refurbishing F floor to become the Ashcroft gallery. I've not heard anything more (I'm a lowly security/post room operative!) but if i do i'll post some info.

I believe the opening is later this year but watch this space....

Oh btw: there were only ever 3 men to get the VC twice, Captain H. Upham was the only combat soldier to get it twice, we have a field medics (Of whom, to my shame, I cannot remember his name!) VC with Bar in the museum.

All the best

Chris
"War ist die Royal Air force???"

"Evacuate? In our moment of triumph? I think you over estimate their chances!"
Scott Revell
Contributor

Post by Scott Revell »

jerijerod wrote:Oh btw: there were only ever 3 men to get the VC twice, Captain H. Upham was the only combat soldier to get it twice, we have a field medics (Of whom, to my shame, I cannot remember his name!) VC with Bar in the museum.
Captain Noel Godfrey Chavasse's VC and Bar (and MC) are at IWM.

Cheers

Scott
Revellations

"A Bayonet has a worker at both ends"

http://www.defendingarnhem.com
jerijerod
Supporter

Post by jerijerod »

Thats the one. As soon as i saw the name I recognised it! Thanks alot :wink:
"War ist die Royal Air force???"

"Evacuate? In our moment of triumph? I think you over estimate their chances!"
Hans
Associate

Post by Hans »

Hi John Howard,

I suppose we are tougher because we're clinging to the bottom of the world and if we lose our grip we fall of. Anyway as our ex PM [gawd I miss you] you are surely biased.

- Hans
Was haben wir für dich gewollt
Du deutsches Vaterland?
- H Gehr IR 21./17.ID
John W. Howard

Post by John W. Howard »

Hello Hans:
I never really thought of it before, but I suppose you are correct about hanging on, that plus the fact that you have to celebrate Christmas during the heat of summer, and the fact that Oz has more kinds of poisonous snakes than any other continent(Africa??), and that you were all convicts at one time makes a potent brew of incorrigible, bull-headed, beasts, well-suited to combat :wink: And yes I do miss being PM and it does make me biased :wink: Best wishes.
John W. Howard