Korps Feldt info ?

German unit histories, lineages, OoBs, ToEs, commanders, fieldpost numbers, organization, etc.

Moderator: Tom Houlihan

MadDog
Associate

Korps Feldt info ?

Post by MadDog »

Other than the 4 rolls of films at NARA (short ones, too), is there any good information on Corps Feldt (1944, German border) ?

thanks,

Mad Dog
Shadow
Patron

Re: Korps Feldt info ?

Post by Shadow »

MadDog wrote:Other than the 4 rolls of films at NARA (short ones, too), is there any good information on Corps Feldt (1944, German border) ?
thanks,
Mad Dog
Hi “MadDog” !! :D

Sorry, but I have no uncontroversial information re: “Korps Feldt” (existed either from 12 Sept.44 to 28 Dec.44, or from 10 Aug.44 to 05 Feb.45) and was commanded by Gen.d.Kav. KURT FELDT (Ritterkreuz des Eisernes Kreuz) - promoted: 01. Feb.44.

The only information that I can dig up is that he was in command of: “Generalkommando Feldt” from 12 Sept.44 to 24 Nov.44

Gen. Feldt had been Befehlshaber Südwestfrankreich from 11 Jan.43 to 09 Aug.44, when he was given command of Befehlshaber Abschnitt III, (Marne) from 10 Aug.44 to 12 Sept.44.

From what I can gather, he was placed in charge of amalgamating the remaining unallocated troops in Wehrkreis VI (Muster area) and, under the name “Korps Feldt”, was also given command over II. Fallschirmkorps in the 2nd half of Sept.44.

His command was probably under the direct control of Heeresgruppe “B”.

I have no research information as to what part (if any) his command did during the Ardennes Offensive in Dec.44.

Sorry this is all I can come up with right now, :(
Best regards,
Signed: "The Shadow"
MadDog
Associate

Post by MadDog »

Im sure there isnt much out there. I havnt even run into any FMS or ETHINT files on Korps Feldt. I do plan on getting the microfilm at some point.

thanks,

Mad Dog
Shadow
Patron

Post by Shadow »

Hello "Dog who is Mad" !! :D :D

If you do happen to get your hands on that microfilm and can dig up any more information on our "Korps Feldt" I'd be most gratefull if you could either post same or pass it on to me at my e-mail address: [email protected]

Anything more that you can find would help fill in some of the blank spaces I have in my researrch library. :[]

Thanks, in advance :up: :up:

John
Doug Nash
Author

Post by Doug Nash »

Korps Feldt was activated 4 Sep. 1944 as part of the Valkyrie Proclamation as a provisional corps headquarters based on the headquarters of Wehrkreis VI (Muenster). It was engaged on the Lower Rhine from Sep 44 until March 45 while under the operational control of the 1st Fallschirm-Armee, Army Group H. Initially Korps Feldt consisted of Div.Nr. 406 and a few Panzer Ersatz units plus the usual ash and trash of stomach battalions, convalescent units, and Luftwaffe Fortress units. Its first test came on 17 Sept 44 when it was directed to defend the bridges and key terrain at Nijmegan against the U.S. 82nd Airborne Division.
Abbott: This sure is a beautiful forest.
Costello: Too bad you can't see it for all those trees!
MadDog
Associate

Post by MadDog »

I dont think I will learn any gritty details until I get the microfilms. I maybe the only person to ever buy these as they are each (4 of them) so short and not normally worth buying (from NARA).

thanks,

Mad Dog
Doug Nash
Author

Post by Doug Nash »

As you do your research, you might want to take a peek at what the Combat Journal and daily intell estimate of the 82nd Airborne Division has to say for the Arnhem period - there is usually a wealth of OOB info in there plus if you can find the results of POW interrogations, there's even more good info to glean - it's a lot of work, but I found that using the US records often fills in a lot of gaps ----
Cheers,
Doug Nash
Abbott: This sure is a beautiful forest.
Costello: Too bad you can't see it for all those trees!
MadDog
Associate

Post by MadDog »

I didnt think of that. I will look into it.

thanks,

Tom
Shadow
Patron

Post by Shadow »

Doug Nash wrote:As you do your research, you might want to take a peek at what the Combat Journal and daily intell estimate of the 82nd Airborne Division has to say for the Arnhem period - there is usually a wealth of OOB info in there plus if you can find the results of POW interrogations, there's even more good info to glean - it's a lot of work, but I found that using the US records often fills in a lot of gaps ----
Cheers,
Doug Nash
Thanks Doug - - - :oops:

Never thought of looking there - - - :oops:

Again, thanks for the a/m information, :up:

John :D
nebelwerferXXX

Post by nebelwerferXXX »

Korps Feldt
84th Division
'stomach case' battalion
'ear case' battalion
with old French tank
artillery
nebelwerferXXX

Post by nebelwerferXXX »

MadDog wrote:Other than the 4 rolls of films at NARA (short ones, too), is there any good information on Corps Feldt (1944, German border) ?

thanks,

Mad Dog
from the book: airborne carpet: Operation Market Garden by Anthony Farrar-Hockley on page 61 and it reads...

...North of Aachen he was organising an AD HOC formation, Korps Feldt, named after its commander, with a makeshift division of soldiers and airmen. The frontier district headquarters, WEHRKREIS VI, would equip Korps Feldt and provide it with whatever odd tanks and guns - mostly from old French stocks - it could scrape together. Once again the hospitals would offer men from the various wards to form 'stomach case' or 'ear case' battalions...
AHK
Contributor

Post by AHK »

Some OB info and action reports is listed in the book, "It Never Snows in September" by Robert J. Kershaw, 1996 Edition.
AHK
MadDog
Associate

Post by MadDog »

I have the microfilm roll, and it is quite informative.

Mad Dog
Shadow
Patron

Post by Shadow »

MadDog wrote:I have the microfilm roll, and it is quite informative. Mad Dog
Tom - see e-mail (regular) I sent you !! :up: :up:

Best - John :D
Signed: "The Shadow"
AHK
Contributor

Post by AHK »

As a sideline; is there a listing of all ear and stomach battalions?
Thanks,
AHK