15th and 21st panzer divisions at El Alamein Oct 42

German unit histories, lineages, OoBs, ToEs, commanders, fieldpost numbers, organization, etc.

Moderator: Tom Houlihan

perrya

15th and 21st panzer divisions at El Alamein Oct 42

Post by perrya »

I am interested finding any good maps and OB info on the tank composition for both divisions just before the El Alamein Oct battle. Also, Is there a map showing how the 21st Panzer crossed the minefields and the location of the minefields? Also, what did the 15th Pz do during the battle?

[email protected]
Fish
Contributor

Re: 15th and 21st panzer divisions at El Alamein Oct 42

Post by Fish »

Perry, I have a few good maps of the area, they come from the mircofilm of 15th PD's KTB from the NARA archive and show the more northern end of battlefield, they show the positions of the mine fields and all the German and Italian units positioned there. Send me a PM with your address and I'll send them along as I no longer need them and would hate to see them go to waste. Unfortunaely not alot of coverage for 21 PD.

I cannot possible go in to deatil about what 15th PD did during the battle, far too much and I type far too slow. Here are a few highlights. The 15th PD was split into 3 seperate KG;s Nord, Sud amd Mitte. They were scattered about in the northern sector, the primary combat zone for the Alamein Op. They were coreseted with the Italian Littorio Div and fought there in that sector until they had lost almost everything, save for a few pieces of arty and a few panzers. The division primarily fought in the defensive role, but they also launched a number of counter-attacks, the most famous was at the Snipe position. Later in the battle, 2-3 November they work with 21 PD and attempted to halt the British near Tel el Aqquir. We all know how that ended and the retreat to the west.

FYI Not sure what you looking for but I have a few books that I can recommend, most available at the public library, I also have a book due out soon, by Schiffer Pub, which details the combat history of Panzer Regt 8, some good stuff in it. (if your interested get it from amazon its cheaper)

Let me know if you have any more specific info your looking for.
Fish
Rohrdorf Germany