The Wonderful World of Wikianswer!

Fiction, movies, alternate history, humor, and other non-research topics related to WWII.

Moderator: Commissar D, the Evil

phylo_roadking
Patron

The Wonderful World of Wikianswer!

Post by phylo_roadking »

I've been browsing through Wikianswer in the last day or so - and have come across some...gems... :D :D :D I thought I'd share with you all...

For instance -one question asked was "Why didn't America build better tanks in World War 2?". The sort of What-if question we've all seen before. But I bet you've NEVER EVER seen THIS answer before...
America did build better tanks, but nearly all of the better ones were in Pearl Harbour, and they obviously couldn't use them because they wetre destroyed by the Japanise,and diddn't heve alot of time or alot of equiptment to use so because they had to build alot of tanks in very little time i'd say compaired to the time Hitler built his tanks the American tanks were brilliant.
Looks like a degree-level education there!!! :D
sort of mentioned was the factor of fuel. American tank builders were limited to using gasoline powered engines for logistical reasons. this limited engine power, and therefore armor weight. i *beleive* the germans had diesel engines, but i can't remember.
Spot who's dad drives a Japanese SUV!!! :D :D :D
The only reason the Germans were able to build the Tiger so big, was because it was designed to able to ford rivers up to 18-20 feet deep .. rather than cross bridges .. as very few bridges in pre WW2 Europe, could support the weight of a Tiger .. whereas they could support a Sherman.

There's logic in there somewhere - "but not as we know it, Jim!"
Again I find myself reading some of the posts and thinking well some things need cleraty.
Paging Mister Cleraty! Is Mr. Cleraty in the house???

After a while the original poster revisited the subject...
I guess my real question is how much sooner would the US have won the war if Sherman tank production had never been started?
Think about the extra steel and personnel that would have been available for the production of something that worked like P-47 fighter aircraft and pilots!
Think about the reduction in tank driver casualties!

O I am!...now, if our putative B-47 made of STEEL ever got off the ground, would Rosie the Rivetter-turned-Pilot actually have been able to fly it? Watch this space...from a very safe distance!
"Shermans played a big role in WWII" OK, if you say so, but I don't know how or when. The day that an M-4 was important I have not heard about. I know that they were there and they took a lot of hits and people got hurt, but the P-47 was our tank killer, not the M-4. Can you imagine the radio call that went like "Hey, we are in trouble, the Gerries have us in the corner, SEND IN THE M-4 SHERMANS!"
Okay....who's going to tell him???
The Navy made lots of expensive blimps, none of which ever sank a submarine, but at tremendous cost. If the Sherman was good, maybe the Navy blimps were too. "If it feels good, build it!"
To quote David Tennant...."whaaaaAAT???"
I have reduced the whole tank vs tank question down to one simple fact: the allies enjoyed total air superiority from D-Day to the end of the war. Tanks didn't matter.

With total air cover, anything is possible in a war against conventional forces like the Wehrmacht.

Air cover allowed the US Army to move forward in spite of the distraction of burning and exploding Sherman tanks along the way.
...typed on the Internet - 'cos they don't let him have sharp pencils where he is...
I think we should have sent all the Shermans to Russia, and let the Russians try their luck with all of that "tank and infantry stuff" against the Germans. (Which is kind of they way it went and explains why the Russians lost two million casualities during the last year of the war.)

If we never made the Sherman, we would have had more assets to manufacture and man fighter (not bomber)aircraft as well as have more troops to march along under the air cover.

And woul they be marching in column of fours in red jackets and shakos?
If you need to drive to Florida in a tank, take the Sherman, if you are in a war, take the Panther.
What? Will somebody PLEASE tell me why the fu....
I know "air power does not win wars". You always need a "ground pounder" to finish off the job. For example, after the US dropped two atomic bombs on Japan, you needed a guy like MacArthur to go to Tokyo bay and accept the surrender. This was before Fedex and things had to be done "in person" by ground pounders. Today, you could probably get the surrender by SECURE Datalink. (You would still need ground pounders to ackowledge receipt of the surrender.)
Hmm. Live brain in transit...
By the time of the Normandy invasion, all Allied armies (except the Soviets) had adopted the Sherman, to the exclusion of almost all other tanks (excepting some Churchill and Cromwell tanks in units such as the British 79th Armoured Regiment, and some special-purpose types, such as ARVs)
..'cos it say so on the jigsaw when I put all six pieces together, Mommy...
The first B-29 cost $3,392,396.60. Those coming off the production lines today cost approximately $600,000. A total of 157,000 man-hours were required to produce the first B-29's to roll off the line; those produced today require only 57,000 man-hours.
Obviously his PC is his only link with civilisation...
The T34 was a much better mass produced tank than the american sherman. Surprisingly the plans where sold to the russians by a america who opted for the sherman instead
A novel twist on the story of Walter Christie...secret agent!
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
Waleed Y. Majeed
Patron

Re: The Wonderful World of Wikianswer!

Post by Waleed Y. Majeed »

First :shock:
Second :oops:
Third :x

OH MY GOD! (to use an American phrase)!
I am shocked...

waleed
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

Problem is....

Where do you think kids go for their homework hints FIRST.....??? :shock:
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Post by Tom Houlihan »

What's worse, in a few years, he'll be able to breed!
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
Feldgrau für alle und alle für Feldgrau!
Paulus II
Patron

Post by Paulus II »

Had a further look in this WikiAnswer business and noticed this one:

Question: Where was Blitzkrieg?
Answer : It was in Germany.

Well...glad I finally know that now :shock: :shock: .
I looked up some more Wehrmacht related topics but soon had to quit, finding myself reduced to tears :D :D :D
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

What's worse, in a few years, he'll be able to breed!
Thankfully, according to Darwin, he won't breed true LMAO
Paddy Keating

Post by Paddy Keating »

It's worse than you all think. In a few years, he'll be able to vote...
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

It's worse than you all think.
Um....and the bad news is....those are all quotes from DIFFERENT POSTERS...that's enoough for a minority interest party all of their own :D :D :D

You can have functionally illiterate, functionally alcoholic, etc. - can you actually have functionally moronic???
Paulus II
Patron

Post by Paulus II »

phylo_roadking wrote:can you actually have functionally moronic???
No, you can't. No such entry in WikiAnswers so it doesn't exist.
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

If you need to drive to Florida in a tank, take the Sherman
Me, I'm just waiting for someone - anyone - to tell me why...WHY the f*** I would need to drive to Florida in a tank???

P.S. Freeways or side roads??? :evil: :D
Dragunov
Associate
Location: Ottawa, The True North Strong And Free (and rather cold)

Post by Dragunov »

I love those school graduation ceremonies, especially when some big shot refers to the student body as " the leaders of the future". oh, we're F***ed...

oh, and I shoulda taped my history teacher ranting for you, Phylo... he said that Nazi Germany's elite forces were -wait for it- called the Wehrmacht. no joke. 8)

cheers!
Dragunov
When Stalin says "Dance" a wise man dances.- Nikita Kruschev
John W. Howard

Post by John W. Howard »

Ok Gents:
Here is the really frightening part :shock: I have a feeling this guy does breed and does vote and is a USAF General; his ideas on air-power are all too similar to current USAF thinking :D
John W. Howard
Domen123
Enthusiast

Post by Domen123 »

Ok Gents:
Here is the really frightening part :shock: I have a feeling this guy does breed and does vote and is a USAF General; his ideas on air-power are all too similar to current USAF thinking :D
No - here is the really frightening part:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJuNgBkloFE
sebastian
Contributor

Post by sebastian »

funny stuff :D
united we stand,divided we fall