Gifts from Veterans

German Veterans, vet accounts, MIA searches, KIA info, and on relatives who served.

Moderator: Tom Houlihan

John P. Moore
Author & Moderator

Re: Gifts from Veterans

Post by John P. Moore »

Here's a photo of Johann Stahl with his horse from March 1945 at the signal School at Melnik. He remained a horsemen into his retirement.
Stahl,-Johann----Melnik.jpg
Stahl,-Johann----Melnik.jpg (24.73 KiB) Viewed 4881 times
Annelie
Patron

Post by Annelie »

Most of what I have been showing on this thread is not displayed and is kept locked away.

Good idea. I often wonder when people post what collections they have that they could be setting themselves
up for a loss..meaning theft.
Annelie

Post by Konigsberger »

Hi Kamaraden! Grus aus Konigsberg! This are my souvenirs- HIAG mug, marble tottenkopf ring emblem and t-shirt. These things have got to me from Gustav Miller in 2004. His father Guido Miller was born in Konigsberg in 1924. I have got acquainted with Gustav at a meeting of military collectors in my city Kaliningrad (Konigsberg) and he to me has told about the father. Herr Miller battled in Ukraine in 1944 as a sapper in 5 SS panzer division "Wiking". In the end of 1944 he was wounded in Hungary. Till the end of war it has stayed in hospital. After the war Herr Miller worked as lorry driver in build company, was a HIAG member an he died in 1998. Mug and marble emblem I changed at Gustav on some subjects about old Konigsberg. This t-shirt Gustav present me. On a photo it me in it!
Attachments
31052010540.jpg
31052010540.jpg (22.81 KiB) Viewed 4361 times
haen2
WWII Vet

Post by haen2 »

Thank you for sharing your treasures with us John.
I have seen part of it, and it certainly needs to be kept secure. In one word: AWSOME !
My small "replacements" selection hangs in my den, probably not worth stealing.
and . . . also thank you for your valuable comments to the forum.
Keep up the good works.
Haen
joined forum early spring of 2002 as Haen- posts: legio :-)

Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think !
haen2
WWII Vet

Post by haen2 »

Not really a "reply", but rather a word of warning.
I visited some other fora for collectors, and commented on some posts describing fake decorations and other militaria.
I had identified myself as a vet at registration. Just about immediately after my comments: "that I could not see the difference, and would not mind having them on my wall, fake or not .. .", I received several offers to send me stuff to my home.
I declined gracefully, because don't want to be perceived as a kind of old moocher. But actually it is amazing how many people are willing to share their treasures with someone. I wish I had some of my own, like John's friends to donate to serious historian/collectors as John, but alas.
My wife always has had a saying: 'be careful what you wish for, you might just get it" :oops: She turns out to be right.
So, for my fellow veterans, unless you would like to get some things, don't say a stupid thing like i did.
Cheers, and all that good stuff.
HN

Annelie
Patron

Post by Annelie »

Its really nice to see some of the gifts from Veterans. Its a great honour to be bestowed upon.

There are only one thing that disturbs me to no end is those that seek/given things from the Veterans
and then later find out that they sold these items whether articles or autographs. :down:

To give such items to another because of the respect and care they have for the article and
what it means is one thing but to sell for money is another!

HaEn's wife is correct, its better to be careful for what you ask for. :wink:
Annelie

Post by Franz Repper »

Annelie wrote:Its really nice to see some of the gifts from Veterans. Its a great honour to be bestowed upon.

There are only one thing that disturbs me to no end is those that seek/given things from the Veterans
and then later find out that they sold these items whether articles or autographs.
annelie yes i agree with you on this
Denn jedem Kämpfer gibt ein Gott den Kameraden bei
haen2
WWII Vet

Post by haen2 »

Annelie,
Yes you are right.
Worse is yet, when a small group, posing as historians "visit" an old lonesome vet, and while one or two write down what he tells them, the others, more or less ransack his home for valuables.
I sometimes wonder how much of the stuff, offered for sale on line, actually are stolen memories.
Oh well.
HN

chambers
Contributor

Post by chambers »

I've always wondered that, too Haen. I'd NEVER sell my grandpa's stuff or anything anyone has given me.