Zitadelle Armor: German T-34 & captured equip.; tanks & SPG

German unit histories, lineages, OoBs, ToEs, commanders, fieldpost numbers, organization, etc.

Moderator: Tom Houlihan

Rui Esteves

Zitadelle Armor: German T-34 & captured equip.; tanks & SPG

Post by Rui Esteves »

I'm building up, mostly, the ToE of the 2.SS-Pz.Korps (LAH; DR; T); 48.Pz.Korps (GD); the independent armored units and the units with unusual equipment during Operation Zitadelle. (Strength and Operational).

So far, I gathered the following information, about "The Armour of II.SS-Panzer-Korps", that are common with the most sources:
(LAH shows his organization and in the Das Reich and Totenkopf, only appears the differences between them, the rest is almost the same).

Is that info, correct?
I know it lacks lots of pieces, I'm trying to complete this puzzle...

Rui Esteves
"In the fog of History, there is sometimes a Light" - Rui Esteves
Rui Esteves

Re: Zitadelle Armor: German T-34 & captured equip.; tanks & SPG

Post by Rui Esteves »

With the recapture of Kharkov in March of 1943, by II.SS-Panzer Corps, were taken as Beutepanzers, about 50 T-34/76, to Das Reich were given 25, and to Totenkopf, 22 tanks.
Seems that only DR, used them in Kursk. Between 12-20 operational tanks. (What happened to Totenkopf's T-34?)

There is some evidence of T-34 tanks in new III.SS-Pz.Abt / SS-Pz.Rgt . 2 / 2.SS-Panzer Division "Das Reich", but there is also, some information about the use of T-34 in the SS-Panzerjäger Abt. 2. Only seen, photos of the 10.Panzer-Kompanie...

The main reason of the use of T-34 in Pz.Abt of DR, was the losses. And because one his panzer-abteilung were in Germany, to receive the new Panther? ( One of Pz.Abt. of LAH were also back in Germany, at that time?)

Das Reich used also BA-64 armored cars in Russia. It was used in Zitadelle?

(There was, any "special op" with captured Soviet tanks, like Skorzeny's disguised AFV's in the Ardennes offensive?)

T-34 and other captured equipment were also used by other units in Kursk, but there is little info about them...

Rui Esteves
Christoph Awender
Patron

Post by Christoph Awender »

Hello

Why don´t you use the original german tactical symbols? It is just a personal oppinion but these NAto symbols are not very suitable.. they don´t really look like "WWII"

/Christoph
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Post by Tom Houlihan »

Christoph, you are completely correct. However, the NATO-style symbols are much more recognizable for most people. Not very authentic, but more common.
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
Feldgrau für alle und alle für Feldgrau!
Rui Esteves

Post by Rui Esteves »

Hello,

You're both correct, I use this NATO-like tactical symbols, because they are fewer and simple than the German ones, and also to have the same kind of symbols employed, by the Axis and the Allies. Making a easy way to compare the opposing forces in a map and other documents.

In a theater of operations, here is a lot of units, of different sizes and nature, is best to have small symbols, that could be easy to read, with few details.

A map should be easy/simple to read and without confusion to the reader. Or it will loose his functionality.

Best regards,

Rui Esteves
Kelvin
Enthusiast

Post by Kelvin »

How many combat ready T-34/76 did Das Reich possess on 01st July or 05th July 1943 prior to Citadel ?
Frederick L Clemens
Associate

Post by Frederick L Clemens »

I sympathize with the use of NATO symbols but agree that WW2 era symbols are more authentic. An author could try to educate the reader in this way - it really is a matter of exposure and familiarity. A third option is the use of weapons symbols, especiallty on maps.
Rui Esteves

Post by Rui Esteves »

Das Reich's T-34 on July 4th of 1943:
18 operational
9 in repair

The image, i used in the beginning of this thread, is just a simple way, i found to show, the information about SS units in Kursk (showing only the main differences between LAH, DR and Totenkopf), that i gathered. And isn't a "official" image-document, that i pretend to full represent any WWII German unit.

It is just less time-consuming, for me, in the matters of graphic design.

Best regards,

Rui Esteves
Rui Esteves

Post by Rui Esteves »

One of Das Reich's panzer aces was, the Ritterkruz receiver SS-Hauptscharführer Emil Seibold, he commanded one captured T-34 ( Panzerkampfwagen T-34 747(r) ), between July and August of 1943, including the Battle of Kursk, in the 10.Kompanie/III.SS-Panzer Abteilung.

He had 69 kills in the final of WWII, 23 tanks were destroyed in July-August 1943, using the Panzerkampfwagen T-34 747(r).

Best regards,

Rui Esteves
Kelvin
Enthusiast

Post by Kelvin »

Hi Rui Esteves , Thank for your data. Do you know that all Waffen SS divison had six operational Grille in jUly 1943 ? I only sure Gd had five operational on 30 June 1943

Kelvin
Rui Esteves

Post by Rui Esteves »

Hi Kelvin,

According to K.St.N.1120a - s.I.G.Kp.(Sfl.), 6 Geschützwagen 38 für s.I.G.33/1(Sf.) (Sd.Kfz.138/1), were assigned to the companies of the Panzer-Grenadier-Regiments.

The "Grille" was first used in numbers in combat, during Operation Zitadelle, July 1943:
16 - Pz.Gr.Div. "GD"
12 - SS-Division "LAH"
12 - SS-Division "DR"

I don't have the confirmation if any "Grille" had been allocated in this period, to the SS-Division "Totenkpf".

I have info, about "Grilles", in "LAH", that was "Grilles" only in the 13. Infanterie-Geschütz-Kompanie of SS-Panzer-Grenadier-Regiment 2.

Best regards,

Rui Esteves
Panzeralex
Supporter

Post by Panzeralex »

Hi all
"Grille" from Tötenkopf didn't take part in Operation Zitadelle, because it had been shipped from Germany for Tötenkopf only 10.7.43
Rui Esteves

Post by Rui Esteves »

Other self-propelled artillery, that saw its debut on combat was:
> "Wespe" - Geschützwagen II für le.F.H.18/2(Sf.)

> "Hummel" - Geschützwagen III/IV für s.F.H.18/1(Sf.)

And they were allocated accordingly:
K.St.N.431b - Batterie leichte Feldhaubitze 18/2 (6 Geschütz)(Sfl.) = 6 Geschützwagen II
K.St.N.461b - Batterie schwere Feldhaubitze 18/1 (6 Geschütz)(Sfl.) = 6 Geschützwagen III/IV

They were assigned to Panzer and Panzer Grenadier Divisions:
Self-propelled artillery battalion/Panzer-Division:
2 "Wespe" Batteries (total= 12 "Wespe")
1 "Hummel" Battery (total= 6 "Hummel")

60 "Hummel" were first used in numbers in combat during Operation Zitadelle in 10 Divisions, with the priority to Grossdeutschland Division and the SS-Divisions.

Does anyone have more information about the "Wespe", "Hummel" and "Grille" in Zitadelle?

Best regards,

Rui Esteves
Rui Esteves

Post by Rui Esteves »

Panzerartillerie of Panzer divisions:
> Artillerie Batterie (Sf) of Panzerartillerie Abteilung: 6 "Wespe" and 2 "Munitionsschlepper Wespe" (ammunition carriers).
> Artillerie Batterie (Sf) of Panzerartillerie Abteilung: 6 "Wespe" and 2 "Munitionsschlepper Wespe" (ammunition carriers).
> schwere Artillerie Batterie (Sf) of Panzerartillerie Abteilung: 6 "Hummel" and 1 "Munitionstrager Hummel" (ammunition carrier).

"Leibstandarte SS Adolf Hitler" was the first Waffen-SS unit to receive Wespe.

Best regards,

Rui Esteves
Rui Esteves

Zitadelle Armor: Other combat debut armored vehicles

Post by Rui Esteves »

Also having their combat debut during the Kursk Offensive:

"Hornisse":
Were issued to the schwere Panzerjäger Abteilungen, as tank destroyers.

Zitadelle participating units:
> schwere Panzerjäger Abteilung 560

> schwere Panzerjäger Abteilung 655

"Ferdinand"
Were issued to the schwere Panzerjäger Abteilungen, each had 45 "Ferdinand" and were tank destroyers.

Zitadelle participating units:
> schwere Panzerjäger Abteilung 653 (as I.Abteilung of the schwere Panzerjäger Regiment 656, Heeresgruppe Mitte) with 45 "Ferdinand".

> schwere Panzerjäger Abteilung 654 (as II.Abteilung of the schwere Panzerjäger Regiment 656, Heeresgruppe Mitte) with 45 "Ferdinand".

"Brummbär"
Were issued to the Sturmpanzer Abteilungen, each had 45 "Brummbär" and supported the panzergrenadier and other infantry units.

Zitadelle participating unit:
> Sturmpanzer Abteilung 216 (as III.Abteilung of the schwere Panzerjäger Regiment 656, Heeresgruppe Mitte) with 45 "Brummbär".

Best regards,

Rui Esteves